Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a 1999 500 Cat and has always had carb trouble with it. It doesn't have the original carb on it (he can't find it) but said that the carb on it now came off of an older than 1999 454- he thinks. The choke cable doesn't work, so he was going to have to order the chole cable for this carb- but I can find zero information on it. I took it apart and the gas inside the carb looked like varnish, thick and nasty. I took it apart and cleaned it good, but the rubber diaphram and the diaphram in the primer are both monked up and has some dry rot. I went ahead and put new jets in it and loosened the float (it was sticking BAD) but can't find this exact carb on any Arctic Cat parts listing. The Only thing on the carb I could find is of course 'Mikuni' and these numbers " 34216 E811" Until I find out more info on this carb like a parts list, and a choke cable, diagram etc... I guess I'm stuck. I even did a google search and came back with a '0'. Can anyone verify what this carb came out on or another number for it, or anything? Mikuni US website was NO help at all. Thanks in advance. I dunno

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Complete carb assy. is 0470-361. I'd call the guys at Country Cat and see how much they'd charge you for one. Otherwise...I may know of a place you could get one.... :ph34r: scret Let me know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok guys, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sanny, you're good. How was you able to cross reference that number? I tried everything!

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I just went to www.countrycat.com and used their parts finder feature. Handy little tool to have. Gives you their new prices there as well. If you want to find a used one, call 'em up and ask for Andy, Brian or PJ and tell them that Todd sent ya. They'll take care of ya if they can find that part. Those guys have connectins galore....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again Sanny, I'll give em a call. :chug:

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
My pleasure bud. Again, if they can't get you one, I have one that I can sell ya. Bought a quad to part out and it was a 99 500 Cat. Give you a good price on it if they can't hook you up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Sanny, I'll tell him about it, we might need it. I got the ol girl cranked and running, but it has no power. I drained the gas and put fresh premium in, totally cleaned the carb out. It was a mess and the inside looked like gooey pancake syrup. It fires up everytime, and idles good, but when you try to go it won't get over 20mph and feels really weak. I tried changing every main jet i have, from a 130 to a 160 and they all had the same results. Maybe the fuel filter is gunked up too, it had been sitting for outside for over two years. Man, these carbs can give me a headache... besides, I'm used to a Klein, not a Mikuni. It can't be the slow jet, because it does good in it's range. Oh well, I'll try changing the filter and see if that helps. I put a new plug in it and prior to it's being shut down for a few years must have been running way too rich. The plug was not only black, but black and coated with a thick tar looking goo. I know that it had been swamped several times in the past, and it's smoking now, but I guess that could be from setting up so long too. I swear, no more offers to look at someones four wheeler.

Reactions: Freak11970

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sanny, that carb has two hoses coming of the top that I assumed were vents, because that's how they were set up when it got to me. Could one of them be a vacuum hose that should be connected somewhere? Maybe it's the diaphram, it's not in the best shape, and not getting a good seal/vacuum there. I'm at a loss now and grasping for straws.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
anybody got a 99 500 service manual they could email me? lol...

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I'll take a look at the machine I have and let you know what I find with regards to the hoses. My first gut reaction is that the diaphram boot isn't seated correctly. I've had that happen and had the same results. no guts much after 15-20. How badly is it smoking? Could be not enough compression too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Smoking pretty good and it has been sunk in Wagon Wheel pits a few times- that I know of. I'm thinking diaphram too. It's not a good convex shape now, more like the edges of a pie crust all the way around on the bottom, and the edges had some dry rot. I know it'll still run with the monked up diaphram, but not good. Man, that's a $70 part for a $200 four wheeler!

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I don't know how well it would work, but you might be able to put a very thin layer of silicon around the edges (or maybe rubber cement) to "remake" the bead that seals it all up. You have nothing to lose really. Sounds like it's shot anyways. I could take my carb apart to see if mine is still good or not too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
could the silicon handle constant gas?

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I"m not sure how much gas actually gets up in that area, but whatever gas that would I think the silicon could handle it. I believe you can expose the RTV silicon to gas once it's cured.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We went ahead and ordered a new diaphram- I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
for anyones info - yes to the two vent tubes on top back side of carb - route thru two holes with slots in cross bar frame above back of carb by fuse box -this is for mikuni bst34

·
Registered
2 Posts
need of carb

I have a 2000 cat 500 green with a mikuni I need a carb mine is shot and I don't want to spend 500 on a new one any idea about used?

·
Registered
2000 Artic Cat 500 manual
1 Posts
need of carb

I have a 2000 cat 500 green with a mikuni I need a carb mine is shot and I don't want to spend 500 on a new one any idea about used?
It's a Mikuni BST34-216 Part# 0470-361. Doubtful you'll find one OEM, if you do it will be around $600-800
You can find a replacement on Amazon etc for $50-150, only the choke and throttle holes need to be drill out larger to fit your cable connectors (not that big a deal really)
Make sure you don't get a 2001 and up model (0470-449), the throttle cable and a couple other things are different (look for the idle adjuster screw that comes under the carb, not a short straight one only on the back side). You want a 1998-2000 500 model
They are Mikuni BST34 (just not specifically a 216). The 1998-2000 400, and 1997-8 454 models are similar BST34 carbs and could probably also be used.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts