Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with my AC dealer. My 2003 500 ATV has a burned up internal clutch and bent shaft. I am looing at a bill of over $900. This is on a machine with only 300 miles on it. The dealer said he has never seen any clutches burn out this fast and has contacted AC to see if they are willing to do something even though the machine is out of warranty. I will post what happens here.

This comes after engine failure at 1100 miles on a 2004 Pantera 600efi that AC did not cover under warranty, but reprogrammed my ECU and my 2002 ZR having significant driveline problems at less than 2000 miles.

All these machines are checked by a dealer annually. I hope I don't have to walk into a Yamaha dealer.

Am I just a sucker for lemons or have others had problems like this.

·
Registered
200 Posts
you are not the only sucker for lemons...they seem to find me also...so far has not been my new cats...knock-on-wood...lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will second the statment that you are not the only sucker for lemons. Check out my topic arctic cat problems and see what a real lemon sounds like

·
Registered
322 Posts
perhaps the dealer that services your stuff isn't up to snuff? you check their work over? and that one bike only had 300 miles? that's not much for a 4 year old bike.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I would second that comment about the dealer. You may be a lemon magnet, but it could be shoddy workmanship or innocent oversights on the dealer's part. What kind of riding do you do with your quad out of curiosity? Do you work it a lot (towing, pushing, etc...). Just trying to find out what would cause that kind of damage.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i wonder if the 300 miles in 4 years might have somthing to do with this ie;rust ,oil change frequetcy,water build up? i would not start complaning about a product untill i knew what the cause is.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yea I agree wit Eros & Sanny, look more at who's doing the prep work and your service, I do my own anually just to know its done right...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Sleds are serviced at tracside in Eagle River, who I beleive to be a reputable dealer. Anyone have issues there. This is the first problem with the quad. Technician did mention lack of use might not be lubricating everything correctly. I will post as I find out more here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well $900 later and I am back in action. It was an inner clutch, shaft, bearings and bunch of other stuff inside. Mechanic stated lac of use and lubrication was probably the problem. What? I can only use it so often. Maybe I will have to start taking small rides around the yard every month just to lub things. Hope this isn't a 300 mile event all the time.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Never really hurts to take things out and around, be it a car, cycle, quad, etc... Keeps everything lubed up and moving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts