Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else noticing this? After every single ride, there is a light but pretty damn messy coating of smelly gear lube nicely spread all over the DD gearcase cover; on the back of the driven clutch; under the belt guard; under the clutches... basically, all over the entire clutching and gearcase area. I've cleaned this up after every ride, and I'll be damned if I can tell exactly where it's coming from. Can't help but wonder just how much of this is also lubricating the belt and clutch sheeves, helping to contribute to some of the belt slippage problems I keep hearing about here and there.

Anybody have any ideas on this annoying, messy, and potentially performance robbing problem??? – Roy

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I think it vents through the bolt right? I see a flat milled into it, figured it was the vent. Must be leaking though the seal or fill plug? The clutch is probably acting like a big fan blowing it everywhere so it may be tough to locate it. Try a short ride of a couple miles and then pull the secondary, maybe you can see the leak before it spreads all over. Mine only has a little belt dust behind the clutch.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Looney. Got a number of responses concerning this on HCS, so at least I know I'm not the only one... unfortuntately.
Good idea on the short ride thing to possibly help narrow it down. – Roy

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine just started to do it. I have heard of a couple ,but mine never did it till now. i only have 300 miles,but they are all burning up and down the lake.I've had the clutch off and on it steady since I got it ands never noticed any before.

I was testing the Cutler secondary conversion gizmo this morning,and when taking the clutch off and on,I noticed mine is now doing it too.

Loonie is right,the bolt is vented with a groove. The old ones were a hole in the bolt in 05 with the internal bolt.It is not from that though on mine. It is hard to tell exactly,but I think it is actually blowing out thru the silicon they use between the DDcase halves.In fact it looks like it blew a bit of the grey silicon out of there. It may be the output shaft seal blowing a bit out or something,I'll have to have a better look,but I'll order some seals and stuff first.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
maybe try a hair less oil in them? I will check mine out.. when I switched my track months ago... I remember that I saw a few drops of oil on the case lower rt side.. almost like it needs to be bolted in place to help it seal as well...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Checked mine this morning (sled has just under 400 miles) and found no sign of gear lube on the outside or around the case cover however, when I pulled the secondary clutch off and then the offset washers, I found gear lube all around the seal and puddled at the base of the seal. Looks like a seal issue to me which if memory serves me correctly they have had seal problems with the DD's in the past. Here we go again; another engineering screw up. I think you guys touched part of the problem squarely by questioning then venting system through the bolt. IMO, it is an inadaquate system that does not allow enough pressure release when the sled is being run at sustained speeds; it probably lets the pressure off when the machine stops but when running not enough is let off because of the air turbulance that are naturally created by the fast rotation of the bolt slowing the air flow. They need a stationary vent tube such as those used on automotive transmissions and differentials. It seems like it would be a simple thing to add and why they have not done it? Who knows! Let your dealers know so they can contact Cat.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I checked mine out after 750 miles with no hint of lube leak. Checked it again at 850 and it was a mess with gear lube whipped around all over the clutch area. Cleaned everything out and went for a ride to see if I could determine where it was originating from. After that ride I pulled the secondary off and there was no leaking out of the seal areas or clutch attachment area, but I noticed that right next to the head on a couple of the torx head screws that the oil was cleaner there than everywhere else. I checked a few of the screws and two of them I had to tighten about 1/2 turn each to tighten them up with a few of the others only slightly loose.

As a side note, instead of just adding some more fluid I decided to split the case to clean it out before putting some new lube in. When I did I noticed some water/ice buildup on the input shaft bearing. No corrosion yet so I think I caught in time. It looks like the maintenance interval for me is going to be to split the case and clean it out every 700-800 miles (twice a year) until I get a better feel for what is going on in there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
had the same problem with mine. seems to be the output shaft seal, i'm going to try a new seal next weekend and see if that solves the problem

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, based on the responses both here and on HCS, looks like I'm not the only one experiencing this problem... unfortunately.

24K, any problems taking the gear case cover off? Do you need to use some kind of sealant when putting it back together? My dealer has a new output shaft seal and bearing in stock, just wondering if I should get the parts under warranty and do it myself, or go through the trouble, hassle, time, and fuel to haul the sled down there to have them do it.

BTW, checked all the bolts on the cover and didn't find any that needed further tightening. Just wish I could pinpoint exactly where this stuff is coming from.

Thanks for the feedback on this so far guys. – Roy

·
Registered
108 Posts
the cover is a fairly easy job. you need to take the left side footrest off to get at 1 bolt, but thats only a few bolts. i used rtv sealant on mine with no problems yet. pretty straightforward job.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Feb 14 2007, 12:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
...damn messy coating of smelly gear lube nicely spread all over the DD gearcase cover; on the back of the driven clutch; under the belt guard; under the clutches... basically, all over the entire clutching and gearcase area... Anybody have any ideas on this annoying, messy, and potentially performance robbing problem??? – Roy[/b]
I think it's called 'Googe'.

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php...st&p=458896

:lol: :chug:

·
Registered
525 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Feb 15 2007, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
24K, any problems taking the gear case cover off? Do you need to use some kind of sealant when putting it back together? My dealer has a new output shaft seal and bearing in stock, just wondering if I should get the parts under warranty and do it myself, or go through the trouble, hassle, time, and fuel to haul the sled down there to have them do it.
Thanks for the feedback on this so far guys. – Roy[/b]
Taking the cover off is easy, except for one fastener on the bottom for which they did not give adequate tool clearance for. You will need to use a silicone sealant when putting it back together. The input shaft and seal (that shaft that attaches to the secondary clutch) is fairly easy to get to, the output shaft and seal is a little more difficult since you have to get through the planetary gearset to get to that (especially with the reverse setup). I attached a picture of what the case looks like with the cover off ('07 model) just if you were curious.

[attachment=63747:CIMG0683.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cleaned up EVERYTHING really well last night, made sure the the vented groove in the driven mounting bolt was clean, and taped a piece of cardboard tightly over the entire DD gear case area.

Everything was MUCH cleaner after 80 or so miles today, and ZERO sign of any leakage whatsoever around the driven output shaft area, which surprised me, as that was my first guess as to where the oil was coming from. Nope, just as spotless as it was before the ride.

However... there was indeed a little oily mess around the lower front area of the gear case (and on the back side of the cardboard too of course in same vincinity), as near as I could tell, likely coming from between the gear case halves in that area.

Sounds like either a quick trip to the dealer to have them take the case apart and reseal it (under warranty of course) or bite the bullet and try to do the job myself. – Roy

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why oh WHY do I have such ****ty lucky working on this sled??? Carefully took apart the Diamond Drive gear case (split the case) and meticulously cleaned everything up including acetone on the flat sealing surfaces. Used a thin finger dabbed layer of Permatex MotoSeal 1 Ultimate Grey Gasket maker on both halves of the gear case. A day later and before I even ran the sled, the [email protected]#$%^&* is leaking already... a very slow leak of clean oil dripping down from the bottom right portion of the case. Son of a [email protected]#$%^... I can not believe I've gotta' take the thing apart and try to do the whole job over again. This is starting to suck.

Am I using the right junk to seal this, or is there something better I should be using? There is nothing at all on this tube of sealer that says a thing about setup time, or time before use either. Advice and suggestions greatly appreciated ASAP.

It's possible that a little sand was on one of the two protruding lower mounting studs/bolts, and that the sand then got between the two sealing surfaces as I was installing the gear case cover, otherwise I'm not sure what else coulda' gone wrong.

Or maybe I just didn't use enough of the sealer?

How is everyone else doing with this problem??? – Roy

·
Registered
76 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Feb 27 2007, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why oh WHY do I have such ****ty lucky working on this sled??? Carefully took apart the Diamond Drive gear case (split the case) and meticulously cleaned everything up including acetone on the flat sealing surfaces. Used a thin finger dabbed layer of Permatex MotoSeal 1 Ultimate Grey Gasket maker on both halves of the gear case. A day later and before I even ran the sled, the [email protected]#$%^&* is leaking already... a very slow leak of clean oil dripping down from the bottom right portion of the case. Son of a [email protected]#$%^... I can not believe I've gotta' take the thing apart and try to do the whole job over again. This is starting to suck.

Am I using the right junk to seal this, or is there something better I should be using? There is nothing at all on this tube of sealer that says a thing about setup time, or time before use either. Advice and suggestions greatly appreciated ASAP.

It's possible that a little sand was on one of the two protruding lower mounting studs/bolts, and that the sand then got between the two sealing surfaces as I was installing the gear case cover, otherwise I'm not sure what else coulda' gone wrong.

Or maybe I just didn't use enough of the sealer?
How is everyone else doing with this problem??? – Roy[/b]
if this continues to be a problem i would use yamabond or equivelent to seal the dam thing! it will be harder to get apart again but will not leak. yamabond is the stuff used to seal the crankcase halves together and it will remain flexible but very strong

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any Cat mechanics or dealers here that can take a quick look at the shop manual to see what kind of sealant they specify? And while you're there, are there torque specs for all the gear case cover torx bolts? Thanks! – Roy

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flamin @ Feb 27 2007, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
if this continues to be a problem i would use yamabond or equivelent to seal the dam thing! it will be harder to get apart again but will not leak. yamabond is the stuff used to seal the crankcase halves together and it will remain flexible but very strong[/b]
Yeah, might have to take that route. I just don't want it to be impossible to take apart again or to be a royal PITA to clean the sealant off the surfaces the next time it has to come apart, for whatever reasons.

At this point, I just want the damn thing FIXED so it doesn't LEAK so I can finish up the season with a few more rides WITHOUT a gear lube impregnated belt and clutches. FUDGE... always SOMETHING!!! – Roy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts