Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question has anyone ever had engine problems with a mbrp race can? or blowing up a engine?!

Took mine around the yard for a sec so far no idle problems or even stuttering nothing but i havent seen the top rpms and i didnt know what normal rpms are when full bore i hate when she starts to scream just you know it cant be the best thing for it lol

·
Registered
710 Posts
put one on my 600 carb and havent had an issue yet.. i saw your other post and if it does lean it out at all it wont be anything severe enough to blow it up unless your sled is already running lean but since its an efi it should be running pretty rich from factory anyways so i wouldnt worry about it

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya arctic cat also i heard runs there engines with a lot of oil compared to most but thats what makes a cat live :D.

My uncle said the new 600 h.O that ski doo just put out there trying to run on 100.1 rofl he knows a guy from a snowmobile junkyard and said if you know anyone who needs spare motors for when they blow ill take all you can get me haha.

·
Registered
710 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (insaincat @ Nov 9 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Replace the can with the stock silencer, enging will run better.[/b]

i swapped my stocker back on the other day and it seemed like it was running rough. carbs might be jetted for the mbrp though

who knows

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya mines a efi i dont think i can adjust that stuff so idk when i took it around the yard the thing seemed like it was fine it didnt seem like it lost any power but heres a good question Will the jetting change from being 1/4 throttle to 1/2 to full or 3/4 even i mean could it all of a sudden go really lean in a certain point of throttle ???

·
Registered
21,410 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (asaracing21 @ Nov 9 2009, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ya mines a efi i dont think i can adjust that stuff so idk when i took it around the yard the thing seemed like it was fine it didnt seem like it lost any power but heres a good question Will the jetting change from being 1/4 throttle to 1/2 to full or 3/4 even i mean could it all of a sudden go really lean in a certain point of throttle ???[/b]

Again, replace the can with the stock silencer, enging will run better. Aftermarket "cans" are built like a Cherry Bomb muffler. No restrictions. They allow too much air/fuel flow. Unless you do serious engine/exhaust modifications, the stock silencer was engineered to work with the stock engine and exhaust SYSTEM!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i just bought mine this summer i only gave it about half throttle pulling it around and into trailer no lag and actually seemed very snappy but maybe on the top end it will bog and if it does ill just pull it off mean while ill check spark plugs and see how lean she is as well do they make any pipes for my 02 zr 600 cce i mean i see others with them but i cant find anything for the life of me

·
Registered
21,410 Posts
You won't really know until you get it out on the snow in 20 degree weather. Comparing it to the stock one. I bet it won't pull as hard, but sure will sound good! In regards to a pipe, being an '02, not much left as far as new stock. May have to look for a used one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i have a mbrp on my 03 mc600 efi. i do not notice anything different, (beside noise) and still i think my sled pulls like hell of the line, for being stock besides the can and a y pipe that i modded a little.

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (insaincat @ Nov 9 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm not sure, just know they don't run as well. My EFI won't run for crap with one on. The harmonics mess with the EFI.[/b]
EFI will run with a can, it will just be slower.
The efi system in the Cat's is not like in your vehicle. The auto efi is always adjusting to make it run at peak power.
The Cat snowmobile uses what they call a "blind" efi system with a few sensors that make programed changes.
This means that the ECU is programmed to put a set amount of fuel at certain throttle positions and rpm's.
This is why when you do a mod you need to buy a Boondocker to add fuel for your changes.
All Cat efi's all have a "stutter" or "bog" that goes away after about 10 minutes into your ride. This is when it has warmed the coolant to normal operating temperature and the coolant sensor is switching the ecu from enriching mode to normal mode.

When you take and add a aftermarket can to your efi, It loses all the back pressure for the return pulse charge at wide open throttle that forces the hot gasses back into the engine, Making it run rich, making less power and poor fuel economy.

It will sound cool,but will be slower on top end with a efi.

On a carb sled, you can adjust the main jet to make it run leaner and gain a few ponies with a can
Click on the gif image below

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So other words my engine will run rich instead of lean? what im trying to get at is i dont want to put another motor in this sled lol someone earlier said it could run lean but i thought like u said EFI is constantly adjusting for proper fuel?

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (asaracing21 @ Nov 9 2009, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So other words my engine will run rich instead of lean? what im trying to get at is i dont want to put another motor in this sled lol someone earlier said it could run lean but i thought like u said EFI is constantly adjusting for proper fuel?[/b]
The Cat efi has a programed "graph" in the ecu. This means that it does not adjust, It just puts a preset amount of fuel in the engine from the sensors it has.
It adjusts for outside temp, coolant temp, throttle position and a wire to unplug for ethanol based fuels that will add another 6% more fuel accross the board.

·
Registered
710 Posts
snow i dont think i'm understanding your logic on the can based on your picture. not to knock on you at all though just need more understanding.

your saying that it will lose back pressure with the can. i'm not disagreeing with you but by the way the illustration shows the motor working by is the expansion chamber not the can as the picture doesnt have one.

please clear up my confusion if you can.

thanks

Nick

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ahh that wire i know what one but that would lean your motor out even more due to not adding the equivalent amount of oil why would people unplug that then?

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (priesman64 @ Nov 9 2009, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
snow i dont think i'm understanding your logic on the can based on your picture. not to knock on you at all though just need more understanding.

your saying that it will lose back pressure with the can. i'm not disagreeing with you but by the way the illustration shows the motor working by is the expansion chamber not the can as the picture doesnt have one.

please clear up my confusion if you can.

thanks

Nick[/b]

That is how a tuned exhaust is working properly with the pulse charge returning at a specific given time, if you mess with it by removing the back pressure needed
for the return charge, the hot exhaust gas doesn't return back in the combustion chamber to burn off some of the new fuel charge entering into the engine making it run rich at wide open throttle.

asaracing21, you have it backwards, oxygenated fuel(with ethanol) burns hotter,thus needed more fuel so the engine doesn't run lean and burn down
Look at your warning info on the hood or in the owner's manual, you need to unplug the wire on a efi or add 1 size larger main jet when using oxygenated fuels.
you put more fuel in it, it will keep the heat in the combustion chamber down.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts