Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Wow! Cat didn't do so well there. Crossfire 6 is lighter then F6 Sno Pro? Wasn't expecting that. Seems these the new F's are kinda heavy, not a big deal if they can take a good beating I guess.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jeff H @ Jan 5 2007, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wow! Cat didn't do so well there. Crossfire 6 is lighter then F6 Sno Pro? Wasn't expecting that. Seems these the new F's are kinda heavy, not a big deal if they can take a good beating I guess.[/b]
The new spar style chassis is going to be a bit heavier. I don't see a way around that, sheet metal vs. beefier frame members + sheet metal. For the way I pound on the machines, it's a welcome evolutionary step that will help my sleds stay rigid and last longer. No more loosening rivets! I'll gladly trade some 'lightness' for long term durability. But that's just my choice/opinion.

Remember the hype triples were no good on the trails because they were too heavy?

That wasn't exactly an accurate claim IMO, it was the suspension limitations on the triples that weren't up to the weight of the sled. I discovered all that by doing the suspension mods on my sled.

Once the suspension had the travel and slightly increased ground clearance, it was a huge improvement proving (to me anyway) weight alone isn't the only factor defining how a sled is going to handle the bumps & corners. I will give lighter sleds credit for being easier to toss around (in most cases) and land softer, and of course lighter mass will be easier to accelerate faster with less torque in a pounds/torque equation.

Yes, less weight is better for landing and acceleration. But if a sled is heavier, just add 'more' suspension to provide an equal 'travel per pound' ratio.

So with today's F-series, they're not all that much lighter than the older triples. Why are they considered 'great' bump/handling machines even though they aren't true lightweights?

Because the suspension is improved and can handle the weight properly... And this is happening on a newly designed sled that is roughly in the weight ballpark of the older triples. I'm thinking of the F-1000 here, it seems to be the heaviest. Just like the big block triples used to be the heaviest.

If it ever snows here, I will get a chance to test one. Houleigan has a shiny new F-8, and my dealer will probably drop of a demo if I ask. So... Where's the darned snow??? bang your head

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I can't figure out how a 2 stroke 1000 with 2 cylinders and no cam can weigh as much as a 1000 4 cylinder 4 stroke....just makes sense to me that the new F is HEAVY...and that's that.

Crossfire still uses the old F2 chassis...so very light.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Goes to show you that all of the published weights are BS. I have been saying for years now that weight is only 1 factor in how a sled performs and it is often given more attention than it deserves.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Jag has a smaller gas tank. I have driven both the new F series and the Z1 Jag at snowblast last year. The 4-stroke diffently is heavier. Although to it's credit on a trail with less then 1' high bumps the Jag handled very well and did not feel heavy. When we started to play under the powerlines where there was 3-4' moguls you could feel the extra weight right off. The new F series weighs more then my '05 F6 but it has the weight distributed very well. The new 07 F series handled the big bumps better then my sled. If it ever snowed enough to ride my sled again I would not hesitate on buying a new style F series. It is hard to wear my sled out when I only put on 55 miles last year.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just put 115 miles on my new F.
The sled goes really nice, rides and handles nice, but the weight is a factor when riding the trails fast.
For just cruising, the weight is not noticeable. But the sled IS very heavy.
mike

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
Nice post .....thankx for the info! :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
795 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (helgy @ Jan 5 2007, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No mountain sleds? :angry_mad:[/b]

Exactly how I feel.
If they are truly into sleds they need to do all the sleds....not the stubby ones only.
To my thinking a 153 track is a shorty.
So Minimum sled I hope you test the rest really soon.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Ya know whats funny? Snow Tech said in their December issue that the F1000 was the lightest of the 1000's, 2 stroke or 4 stroke, by far. Wow, were they ever OFF!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts