Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT

I feel dumb, I said fft oil, and I meant Maxima oil.

Is it any good for a new engine?
I currently have 180 miles, and I previously used Arctic Cat synthetic oil.
I was told by many here that it is too new to use full synthetic and that the engine will never break in.

SO I am going to run conventional 10w40 this year, and thinking about using this particular brand:
http://www.onoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchan...YCLE-LUBRICANTS

TIA.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Maxima is a good oil brand though it is a semi synthetic oil and not full synthetic like Amsoil. Its fine to put in at any time of the engine. that whole not break in thing with synthetic is garbage.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree with Hoopie. Your motor will break in just fine with synthetics. (The Chevrolet Corvette comes with Mobil 1 from the factory)

I personally use Rotella 15W40, it holds up great in an ATV motor and won't harm the wet-clutch. They also have a synthetic Rotella 5W40 that works fine too.

Remember the best oil is clean oil. When its gets dirty, change it....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well damn, when I first joined last year some time there was a discussion on what oil I was using, and there were like 5 or 6 people who thought I was really dumb for using full synthetic oil so soon.

If thats IS the case, then I would rather just use Amsoil synthetic like I use in all of my other vehicles, machines.

If I cant get my hands on Amsoil in time, what other brands would you say are "Up there" in quality?
I would prefer an ATV specific oil.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
mobil 1 ful synthetic- - Mobil 1 MX4T is designed for atv's for motorcyles\wet clutch is very good. Another oil called 7th gear is very good also designed for atv\motorcyles.
The Rotella 5w40 is suppose to be good also but I dont know if its wet clutch compatible.I know Deisel guys tend to swear by Rotella.
Redline makes some good oil also. I see a lot of high end HP racing bikes and cars use it.
Of Course Amsoil 0w40 for quads and 10w40 for bikes. My personal favorite.
I forgot Royal Purple. Simular to Amsoil so I hear.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Rotella 5W40 isn't an ECII oil, which means its safe for ATV/Motorcycle applications.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Is it wetclutch compatible?

·
Registered
136 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hoopie @ Feb 15 2007, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is it wetclutch compatible?[/b]

Yeah. Its wet-clutch safe.

The quickest way to tell if an oil is wet-clutch safe is to look at the API rating on the back and see if it has the Energy Conserving II label on it. If it has the label on it, its no good for wet-clutches. ECII oils contain a type of moly that could cause the clutch to form a hardened or cyristalized surface causing failure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As far as diesel oil goes, it doesnt get any better than Amsoil, and Valvoline Synthetic Blue is a close second. My Diesel is my "Other" hobby.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As far as the SYN goes I felt the same way, it shouldn't be an issue BUT .... I just got my bike back after being at the dealer for 3.5 weeks and it now has a completely new top end after 450 miles and the comments were made at the dealer that perhaps the SYN had a hand in the NON seating process on break in!!!

Something to think about, do you want to go through that if they are right??? I wouldn't if I had the chance to do it over again, just use dino for the first 3-5k and then make the switch, your ATV isn't going to die without it ... but it may not be happy at this early stage with it, why roll the dice if you don't have too ?????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.