Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i installed my clutch kit on my 05 500 manual today. I tried to take as many pics as i could. It takes about 2 hours start to finish. I am not totally done yet because i tore my gasket. I originally didnt order a new gasket because i thought i could get it off without tearing the old one. I would go ahead and order the gasket if i were to do it all over again.

This isnt a simple process but it isnt hard either. Just take your time and do it right. ANd make sure you reassemble everything just as you took it off.

Start off by removing the floorboard. You will have to drill out the plastic rivits because they cant be reinstalled
I almost forgot you need to drain the oil. The drain plug is on the bottom of the motor. There is a slot cut out of the back of the skid.

Attachments

Reactions: SouthFL

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next you need to remove the clutch housing cover, disconnect the two water pump hoses and remove the oil filter.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove the 5 e-clips to get to the 5 little clutch springs. When you get the 5 e-clips off you will get to 3 plates. Remove the plate and remember how they came off. They need to go back on exactly as they came off. Under the 3 plates is the clutch with the "Target springs".

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need a good pair of needle nose vice grips and a 8 to 12" long flat tip screw driver. Grab one one of the springs and pull it out of place and reinstall. The purple one is the new one. You can use the screw driver to pry one end of the spring out. THis step takes about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THis is just another pic of how to remove and install the springs with the vice grips.

Attachments

Reactions: troyjohnston85

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wahla!! FINISHED PRODUCT woot

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a pic of the 3 plates that need to come off to get to the springs. You can also see the little clamping vice grips and a pair of chanel locks to hold the brake lever out of the way. You will need to disconnect the brake plunger at the back of the peddle. All you have to do now is reinstall the gasket and housing cover and fill up the oil and new oil filter. The cover will need to lign back up very correclty. There are 2 things inside tha fit into grooves in the cover.

Really pretty easy process. Probably about 2 to 3 hours for a hill billy like me.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
kewlpics Very good info for the guys with the 500's. :chug:

·
Registered
159 Posts
im scared!!!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Wow, excellent write-up kscowboy Not worthy:

Maybe another member can do a similar post (with pictures) for installing clutch springs for an auto tranny. Also a full report for the stock exhaust mod would be another good one since these are a couple of common "how is it done" questions thumbguy

It's pinned so the good info doesn't get lost.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for pinning it. I think it should help anyone who want to try it.

SLP-No need to be scared. Im not an atv mechanic by any means. If i can do it i promise you anyone can. Really not all that hard.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Excellent post Cowboy!! Not worthy: Great detail. I look forward to a detailed report on the performance gain once you put a ride or two on it. :chug:

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
ksCowboy, That tech write up is fantastic ! I wish there was a write up like that for all of the mods. I feel confident I can do this myself now.

What kind of SOTP performance gains did you get?

Oh BTW: Where did you get the kit? PN?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The kit comes from EPI. I tried dalton but they dont make one and neither did epi but we talked them into doing it any way. The kit is $49.99 plus shipping.

This weekend will be the first ride i get on it. DMR, GWC and me all have the same bike except DMR has a kit in his. We all rode together 3 weeks ago and in the really, really thick gumbo mud, you could tell that DMR could turn his tires better than gwc and me. It just raises the engagement rpm's. Great for mudding

·
Registered
512 Posts
Nice write up! As soon as I get my pipe/jet mod installed and perfected, maybe I'll tackle this.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by ProComp@May 19 2005, 05:36 PM
Nice write up!  As soon as I get my pipe/jet mod installed and perfected, maybe I'll tackle this.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
Pretty easy to do. Just take your time and everything is self explanatory.

Pro-You got the part # to post on here. Mine is somewhere in the shop

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is the tranny the same as my 400?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am still scared!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by DMR@May 20 2005, 10:06 AM
My Springs R GREEN, wander if their the same pressure???????Later
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
I would like to know the same thing. I started mine up today after getting the new gasket in and filling it up with oil and just moved it forward about 2 feet and then back. It really revs up before it moves. It really moves the engagement rpms up. Cant wait to get it in the mud. I really think this is going to be great for mudding Rockerdude

1 - 20 of 147 Posts