Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
1st year w/ an ATV and Ive been riding on the sled trails. We only have abt 6-10 inches of snow and the trails are all basically packed solid so it's like a road. Yesterday I stopped for gas and the guy @ the station told me there's a big fine if an ATV gets caught on a sled trail. I never heard of this and up until this year rode sleds on the trails but have seen ATVs on them. Ive also seen sledders this year give me a wave. Does anyone know if there's a lwa against ATVs on sled trails? Thx :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
You shouldn't be on them, sled trails are strictly for sledders. I am surprised that you even had some sledders wave, normally they would be very irate. I don't think you have to worry about a fine the first time, after that who knows.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
i would contact your local parks service/police or encon and see if you can get a copy of the rules to straighten out any confusion. i believe in mass (for example) atv season ends end of nov then not legal to ride the trails until spring weather snow on the ground or not. i would find something official or a current resident that is sure of the law.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Straight from IFW website.

4. Unlawfully operating ATV on snowmobile trail. A person may not operate an ATV on a snowmobile trail financed in whole or in part with funds from the Snowmobile Trail Fund is governed by section 13107.

Basically, if the local snowmobile club maintains the trail, you are NOT allowed on it with an ATV, especially when there is snow on it.
Any other time of the year, the clubs know you are gonna ride on it and if you want to continue to ride on them, please RESPECT THE TRAIL.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Ive ridden on them for years w/ my sleds, and the trails are all basically the same. The snowmobile trails in the winter are the exact same trails that are ATV / bike trails in the Spring thru Fall, so Ive respected them when I rode sleds, and also when I ride my KDX. This is my 1st ATV so just needed clarification.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The way I look at it is I pay my $60 license fee to ride on trails, snow covered or not!! Its the ATV clubs that build most of the bridges around here that the sledders use, not the sledders. I too ride the same trails in the winter, ain't noone gonna tell me its the sledders trails b/c there snow covered. I didn't pay $10grand for my toy to sit all winter while I watch other enjoy "my" trail also. I'm not trying to be the antagonist here, but I like to enjoy all 4 seasons.. IMO

·
Registered
164 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The way I look at it is I pay my $60 license fee to ride on trails, snow covered or not!! Its the ATV clubs that build most of the bridges around here that the sledders use, not the sledders. I too ride the same trails in the winter, ain't noone gonna tell me its the sledders trails b/c there snow covered. I didn't pay $10grand for my toy to sit all winter while I watch other enjoy "my" trail also. I'm not trying to be the antagonist here, but I like to enjoy all 4 seasons.. IMO[/b]
Thats the kinda attitude that makes it hard for sledders and atvers to get along. I'm sure the sled club does just as much as the atv club does to maintain the trails. Around here it is the sled club that obtains landowner permission for use of the trails. Hows it work up there? Don't some parts of Canada have atv trail right next to the sled trails?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Maybe that nice wave was actually the bird wave... slaphappy.Seriously though the only side by side trails in Canada are in Quebec.,

Autocat :beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Didn't mean to sound so unauthoritive in my previous post. I just moved from NH down to NC. While in NH I rode in Maine with all my friends that lived in Maine. The trailmaster for the SMATV club is the father of one of them. So my loose post on the law was just that due to where Wooza1 is in Maine. All the legal trails whether they are for sleds or Atv's are marked accordingly. You might find some dual marked trails but that is very rare.

The other law in Maine is that all ATV's be registered, the only allowable exception is if your riding on your own land. You will get fined if caught without your machine being registered, my buddy can vouch for that.

Now being that far North you can decide to take your chances on both riding illegally on sled trails and or nto being registered. The legal side is of course fines, the other side is running into a group of sledders who aren't as friendly as a simple wave. There have been serious altercations involving the two.

There are tons of legal ATV trails in Maine my advice is stick with those to keep things open.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
What do sledders have to do to maintain trails? Seriously, I'd love to know, can't they drive anywhere as long as theres snow! Our ATV clubs put alot of money and time/labor into building and fixing of bridge crossings, when were fixing bridges I don't see any sleds or sledders around! Like I said before, I pay my license fee every year, along with my license it doesn't tell me when I can and can't drive throughout the year.. Sorry that sledders can only drive when snow is on the ground, but us ATVers can drive all 4 seasons and enjoy the winter as much as the spring! If ya don't like ATVer's driving on your trails, lose the seasonal toy and buy a real toy!!

PS. If I wanted to only drive seasonal, I would of bought a sled!!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Guys be sure to keep this topic civil, wooza1 just wanted to know what the law was in maine for riding ATV's on the snowmobile trails, he got his answer. At the first sign this turns into a ATV vs Snowmobile war it will get closed.
:trail: troll food

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Ok Being a member of many ATV clubs in the state of Maine. The laws on atv operation on Snowmobile trails funded by state money is allowed ONLY WITH landowners permission. Alot of trails are used buy both the ATV clubs and Snowmobile clubs. Now the rule of thumb for the Joint club trails is ATV's are allowed until groomable snow. This is on marked club trails only. Some atv clubs have 4 season trails like SMATV south of route 202. NCATV has 100 miles of allseason trails in Strattford NH. Sanford has a Multi use Railbed that is about 9 miles long that can be used 4 seasons. the reason for the hatread of ATV's buy the snowmobilers (many have ATV's) is that after a fresh snow some will not let the trails get packed where as the tires will not rut them up. Our local club uses an ATV with tracks to groom with.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
i too ride snowmobile trails summer and winter in maine and newhampshire im registered in both states and i also want to use my atv all 4 seasons i hate seeing snowmobiles only. when i ride i respect all trails.im from mass and that state shows what happens when you dont respect trails.you cant even be caught with an atv without being looked at like you robbed a bank. when i ride if i come across a downed tree or trash tires etc. i always pick it up and take it with me or i remove the trees to help out im not part of any clubs but i enjoy the sport. and i think its great that nh and me are so acccepting of snowmobiles and atvs.and id like to keep it that way. anyways i dont see how snowmobiles are any better than atvs they both tear up the ground.i dont own a snowmobile so maybe thats why i dont see it both ways.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I thought I was keeping it civil? lol... I'm not trying to start a war with sledders, obviously your laws are way different then ours in Easterm Canada. Sorry but this topic always gets me going, I have the same conversation with sledders around here. The whole point is we as ATV buyers bought our bikes to drive all year round, correct? If I wanted a seasonal recreational vehicle we would of invested in sleds. No war trying to be started, just opinions. I also feel for you fellas you have to "obey" by these laws. See our trails in Nova Scotia are not owned by land owners, so we need no permission. They are policed by law enforcement, but no rules are set in stone where I can't ride my ATV past a certain date, and if there were, lol... lets just say I'd have alot of unpaid fines b/c I enjoy winter driving........

·
Registered
164 Posts
What do sledders have to do to maintain trails? Seriously, I'd love to know[/b]
At least around here the snowmobile clubs are the ones that cut back over growth and remove the downed trees from the trails. Snowmobile are not as nimble as atvs so we Have to remove the trees. I've seen alot of trees across trails with "reroutes " around them by atv's. IMO thats a bad practice. I know theres bad apples in both the atv and sledding communities. I think its cool that we can share views on forums like these. If nothing else it might make us all think about the others that use the trails while we're otu on em. And I agree, lets keep it civil.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
See within the past few years our winters haven't been that bad, not alot of snow, Wooza no doubt your getting the same weather as us in Nova Scotia. So to put a date on when to finish driving your ATV is just ridulous, especially if their is no snow on the ground. As far as clubs are concerned, we have tons around here, sled clubs I can count on one hand. I'm speaking from my perspective and my area. If our government put the same restrictions on us (ATVer's) there would be alot of used bikes on the market.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If our government put the same restrictions on us (ATVer's) there would be alot of used bikes on the market[/b]
Are there alot of restrictions on sleds up there? Or atv's

·
Registered
164 Posts
The trouble around here in southern Maine is that there are a TON of atv's. I would be surprised if 10% of them were in a club (that way with sleds too). I think it ought to be manditory that you join a club to register a sled or atv. Than maybe there would be some maintainance on the local trails. There seem to be alot of kids that rip the piss out of the trails, you know the ones with tourette's syndrome of the throttle thumb. We have those on sleds too BTW. I am the father of one. Been trying to stop this incidious disease for years. Maybe we should join the clubs as one so we can try to see the others point of view. And create some over time pay for the local sherrifs at the club house on meeting night. Theres gotta be a happy medium somewhere.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.