Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,
We made er back from Golden in one piece, and so did the sleds. All I have to say about riding in the mountains is.....HOLY ****!! It's frickin awesome!! No other kind of riding compares to it. There's no cooler feeling than hopping from running board, to running board while climbing up a steep n deep hill. Right to the handlebars, and not turning around until your sled powers out. It's ureal, you gotta actually do it to understand how wicked it is. Anyway, the first day we road Quartz Creek, as none of us had rode the mountains before. We figured it would give us a good feel for it before we got into some real snow. Conditions were tracked and packed, but we still found some fresh stuff in the tree's, all in all a good day. Second day we ventured out to Hope Creek, and it was definitely the best snow we ran into out there. A few tracks but most were covered with about a 3ft of fresh, and the snow from before was still untouched. Third day we headed to Silent Pass, snow conditions were a lot better than Quartz, but around the lakes that we rode it was tracked and packed pretty bad, with about 6" of fresh on top. We did find some decent snow there though, just had to look for it. Which was hard, because the lighting was extremely flat. But, we still had a blast there. Long ride into the play area's though, man.

I imagine some of you are wondering how the 136" faired in the mountains. Well, it did pretty damn good. I got stuck a lot more than the other guys, because as soon as I'd stop in the deep snow while facing the slightest up hill, and try to go again, I'd trench out. But, you'd actually be surprised how well it climbed compared to the 151" RMK I was riding with. We were highmarking each other and we both went as high as we could a couple times and the RMK only climed about 10ft higher up the hill than I did. I just had to take a little bigger runs at climbs, and had to be carefull about where I stopped on the hill. Overall it did pretty well, but after seeing my buddies 151" stop in a spot that I would get stuck in and think he was stuck. Than pin it and get out, working hard, but it did it. It was kinda the convincing factor, in deciding to pick up an 153" M8 here next fall. The diggin out I was doing started to get old on the third day. I had to ride a lot more technical then the other guys did, because they had those long tracks to back them up when they got into trouble. It does work in the mountains, but it's definitely not a mountain sled.

I'll still climb anything anyone will tell me I can't though, just to proove that this thing will do it.

Here's a link for the pictures. Enjoy!!
Pictures
*EDIT* link works now thanks Cody *EDIT*
I'll get some videos up here as soon as I can. I have to get a damn cable to get the vid's off my camera onto my pc.

Keeper

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Glad to hear you had so much fun. Always keep in mind that rider skill dicatates a lot when riding the mountains. I've seen guys on 121"s out ride longer tracks!!

How did your clutching work? Clutch heat? Belt issues?

Oh yeah, and ALWAYS stop pointing downhill.....learned that lesson myself.

·
Registered
524 Posts
FYI Keepers, the stock skis suck in powder, they push and sink, you'll be better off with powder pros, something wider with a deeper keel would give you more stearing control and flotation in powder allowing your front end to stay above the snow.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wow, man Sounds like you had a blast!! Keep the good stories coming!!

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
Awesome! :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZRrrr @ Feb 12 2007, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Glad to hear you had so much fun. Always keep in mind that rider skill dicatates a lot when riding the mountains. I've seen guys on 121"s out ride longer tracks!!

How did your clutching work? Clutch heat? Belt issues?

Oh yeah, and ALWAYS stop pointing downhill.....learned that lesson myself.[/b]
Clutching worked pretty well. I used the Cat recomended changes, and there was of course a lot of heat because I was driving the **** out of it to pull off the same **** my buddies with the RMK's were doing. Never blew a belt, didn't have any belt material on the sheaves, but you could see where it was slipping in spots in the midrange a little. Both the RMK's went through belts. 700 ate 2, and the 900 ate 1. I totally agree that rider skill is the determining factor in the mountains. But, when you have two riders of the same skill parked beside each other, start the sleds and go to pull away, the short track trenches out and gets stuck, and the 151 doesn't once in the same situation. It's not the riders skill it's the machine. I learned when we stoped to talk, no matter where to point downhill after a while, but it's kind of a pain in the ass. When if I had a little longer track I wouldn't have to do that. But, I'm gonna have to deal with it for the rest of the season. And like the guys at HCS said, "Riding a 136" in the mountains will make you a lot better rider, for when you move up to a longer track...".

Next season I'll be used to riding a 136", and I'll be moving up to a 153". So, I'll be able to go a little higher and not have to worry about pointing my sled up hill,so I don't get stuck on the slightest up hill. :beer_cheers:

Keeper

1 - 8 of 8 Posts