Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After putting on a D&D Y Pipe my M8 is loading up at idle. It didn't do it before so I assume it is the Y Pipe that is causing the problem. It really sucks if you are lining up to race a buddy and the sled is idleing for more than 10 seconds and you go and pin the throttle and it sputters and burps and your buddy takes off and you are left there looking foolish. Otherwise the sled runs and responds terrific. Has anyone else had this problem and if so is there an easy fix?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have heard about stock M8's loading up. Have not heard about any solutions yet. I have a 07 M8 w/ D&D Y pipe with about 400 miles on it. So far no problems at all. I checked the wash (plenty rich) and the plugs (fine) the first 5 times I had it out. There is the possibility of it being a touch lean in the midrange. I just take that into consideration. Sorry to hear about your bog. I'll post If I hear a solution.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been loading up as well on my M1000. It cleans up after the first sustained WFO but it would be nice to remap and lean it up on the bottom. Is a boondocker box the only way.......Anyone?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What letter from AC? I have not recieved anything from them at all. I ride more than 75% of the time with my dealer since we are good frineds and I would assume if he had any infromation that I should know that he would have shared it with me. I guess that is if he is even aware of a problem. He was the person who recommended the y-pipe so I assumed it was a safe add on. Some people have been saying that it might run a little ritch in the mid-range with the y-pipe but my sled seems to run just fine once over 1/8 th throttle. Besides shouldn't the knock sensor pick up on a lean condition that causes detonation and therefore damage to the piston/cylinder? I have not seen anything to indicate that it is too lean so far. I ride with another guy with the exact same sled with the exact same setup and he is experiencing the same problem only not to the same extent as I am. I guess I could just take the y-pipe off and that would solve the problem however since I paid for it I would prefer to find a fix that allows me to still use the new y-pipe.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I received a letter from arctic cat that said performance modifications may require fuel map changes and that arctic cat will not warranty any modified engines. They were a bit more wordy about it but that was the bottom line.

·
Registered
795 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (expensive habits @ Jan 3 2007, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I received a letter from arctic cat that said performance modifications may require fuel map changes and that arctic cat will not warranty any modified engines. They were a bit more wordy about it but that was the bottom line.[/b]

Ya I got one as well since I just bought a new M1000.....I am not too worried about the Y pipe doing a lean burn down though, as i never ride under 5000 feet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So after some more testing my dealer and I have come up with a theory as to what is happening with my sled. We don't think that the sled is loading up any more. We think it is running a little lean at idle and therefore the pipe temp is hotter than with the stock set up so the pipe temp sensor is retarding the timing as it is designed to do. Then when I go to take off the gargly feeling is the sled running poorly with the retarded timing until the pipe temp drops back to the more normal range. I am assuming this will not be as big of a problem while riding in Revy or Golden since at higher elevation the air is less dense and therefore hopefully the sled will run slightly richer at idle. I am heading back that way at the end of the month so I guess I will find out if the problem goes away or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts