Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new gauge in Nov/12 for my 2008M8. The gauge was flashing between a voltage indication and some numbers that didnt mean anything to me. Now after drying out for about 3 weeks, all it will indicate is L.C.D. Tried the dealer, they say A.C. warranty's parts for only 30 days. Tried calling A.C. in Winnipeg and they haven't returned my calls except to ask for a vin #. Wal-Mart warranty's a $20 toaster for a year so what's up with a instrument that costs $400 plus? Any body have any ideas? This is the second gauge ive had fail on this sled. Kinda tired of being abused by my doo doo buddys over stuff like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated and so would an answer from Arctic Cat.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
I've got an 07-08 gauge that I'd sell you for CHEAP if you really need one. I don't understand how they can justify not taking care of that, but I've seen the same response on some failed tracks that were sold as parts instead of on the sled... no warranty.

Reactions: oldy800

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will keep your offer in mind here. I did read a thread here awhile back about someone with a similar problem with a 2008 crossfire. A few members mentioned something about a ECU flash and or a warranty replacement for the ECU if it had the correct shape. Not sure what there talking about but if either of these folks see this please contact me here it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for your reply Cowboyup083, yes the problems seem very similar. Finally recieved a voicemail back from AC in Winnipeg took over 3 weeks. There view is that over the counter parts get 30 days warranty if and only they are dealer installed. No, this is what we think might be happening or our instruments are junk and heres what we can do, nothing but a hard line answer. Im still hoping i can get an answer as to whether its actually a gauge problem or something else. Have till fall to decide what i will do next but most likely going to buy a Digitron or a Koso. I really only need it for RPM and max recall RPM for clutching. Is it any wonder that Ski-Doo and Polaris are running away from AC in sales. As i here or receive any new info that can help anyone else i will continue to post. If anyone has anything to add that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You mention Max RPM recall as information you would use for clutching purposes. The recalled max RPM is typically useless information unless you are doing a speed run across a lake in perfect conditions. In a hill climb or deep snow load application it does not tell you what RPM you are maintaining under load or in a hill climb what rpm you are making just before you loose your track speed and have to turn out. What registers is the max RPM the engine achieves which is typically at the bottom of the hill or on the hard packed trail before you place a load on the track.

You have to be reading the actual RPM when under load. If you are a hill climber you have to be checking that RPM at the top of your climb to verify you have the backshift you need to allow the engine to be sitting in the sweet spot. I like to sit at the bottom of the hill when guys are climbing and listen to their engine. The exhaust sound changes significantly if the RPM's are backing off more than 300 to 400 before the rider gets off the throttle. If you are 400 RPM low on a steep climb it makes a huge difference. The Max RPM recall button will give you misinformation.

It is common for the optimum clutch set-up to have an over rev condition of 100 to 200 RPM during the upshift. This is a momentary situation but affects the Max RPM recall data.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks very much for your reply Cowboyup083, yes the problems seem very similar. Finally recieved a voicemail back from AC in Winnipeg took over 3 weeks. There view is that over the counter parts get 30 days warranty if and only they are dealer installed. No, this is what we think might be happening or our instruments are junk and heres what we can do, nothing but a hard line answer. Im still hoping i can get an answer as to whether its actually a gauge problem or something else. Have till fall to decide what i will do next but most likely going to buy a Digitron or a Koso. I really only need it for RPM and max recall RPM for clutching. Is it any wonder that Ski-Doo and Polaris are running away from AC in sales. As i here or receive any new info that can help anyone else i will continue to post. If anyone has anything to add that would be greatly appreciated.
I have a another 2008 m8 that I am going to take the gauge off and see if that is the problem. If it is not the problem then I am stumped. I had posted back in Feb on the site about the gauge problem but did not get in responses that fix the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.