Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all.was out yesterday for an awesome day of deep powder riding.forgot from last year how bad this thing bogged when the vents got plugged (which was every 10 feet) another engineering faux pas I suppose. Anyhow can a person remove the plug from the air intake under the hood? I was going to try it but got worried about getting something sucked into the motor.I tnought I might try to make some sort of plug with a screen insert and only use it on deep powder days.any thoughts? 0
PS.btw kaleb drilling the skid worked awesome.machine was really impressive in 3 feet.thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you made some type of screen to cover it I'm sure it would work. But I say just buy an aftermarket intake from bdx or someone else. But if that's not want you want to do I'm not sure why making your own screen insert wouldn't work.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Why not just stick frogskins to all of the vents? They arent exactly cheap, but you have a hell of a lot more piece of mind.... You really dont want to accidentally suck your homemade screen into the air box.

But why would it bog in deep powder? I know that the 1000s had issues, but ive never heard of the 800s bogging. I ride my 08M8 in powder with one of the screens missing altogether and have never had a bog.

Maybe you are actually sucking snow in? The way the air box slides into the boot going to the throttle bodies, is kind of a poor setup. Its possible that you have a gap there, if somebody has ever pulled the front bumper off and reassembled it wrong. Right at the front of the sled, there is a tab coming from the bumper that holds the air box down in place. Make sure your air box isnt riding on top of that tab.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bogging

Yes I know it is snow on the intake vents.as soon as I rub it off the bog goes away.it never bogs with less snow.and when I say bogs it will sputter and bog just about to a stop.this is really a lot of powder.I agree with the screen being sucked in.kind of scary as well as it would not prevent clutch dust from being sucked in.guess I will have to buy an 013 , haha need the 2.5 track anyhow.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ah, i thought you just meant the vents in the hood were getting plugged up, not your intake screens. If you wanted to make an additional intake port in the air tube under the hood, it would have to be huge, wouldnt it? The two stock intake ports are fairly large, and anything less would just bog anyway.

You could try to mount a snorkel over the ports, but thatd look goofy, haha. But maybe screwing a piece of plastic to your windshield just in front of the intake, as a deflector would work? If nothing else, youd be the only guy on the hill with dryer vents attached to your windshield....itd be unique.

·
Registered
104 Posts
deep powder riding.forgot from last year how bad this thing bogged when the vents got plugged (which was every 10 feet). Anyhow can a person remove the plug from the air intake under the hood?
I know what you mean when you say it bogs with the intake screens covered in snow. It bogs but doesn't die, which can be atributed to the third smaller intake screen inside the engine bay ontop of the air intake plumbing.
Brown's Leisure World - Arctic Cat Parts Online Parts Fiche for 2008 Arctic Cat SNOWMOBILEs M8 EFI "153"
What if you cut and installed another part #13 instead of removing&covering part #8. You could also cut a plain hole and stick a frogskin overtop too. I'd opt for making a new hole on top of the intake plumbing to minimize the hot air intake as to from the side directly above the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts