Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like the m1000 but im starting to convince myself that the extra money, power and weight is something that i really dont need. i would think where the m1000 would be the king is in the hill climbs. as far as powder riding i dont think the m8 would be that bad. its no heavier than a m7 and should ahve a little more grunt then the m7. i am by no means a hardcore mountain rider. i just like to go to the mountains once or twice a year hit the deep stuff if its there. i know there were some problems with the '07 800 engines especially guys with the crossfires and firecats. but for '08 they should be refined and cleaned up. i found a '06 m7 with less than 500 miles for $7500 canadian. but i would really like to pick up a '08 153". what do you guys think? thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
I own an M8 & M1000, not sure where you're coming up with the M8 being no heavier than the M7? it's a noticeable difference, but so is the power despite what the M7 owners like to think. Haven't heard of the motor problems with the 8 aside from the melting.

The M8 with a rkt head and a bit of clutching rips, the 1000 is a tractor, but doesn't have the snap my 8 has.

I think for an all-around rider the 8 with a bit of work is going to be great, I ride very high altitude & big climbs so the m1k makes sense for me, but I think the 8 with head & porting or pipe would be a better choice of $$.

·
Registered
795 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalebtimberlake @ Apr 9 2007, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I own an M8 & M1000, not sure where you're coming up with the M8 being no heavier than the M7? it's a noticeable difference, but so is the power despite what the M7 owners like to think. Haven't heard of the motor problems with the 8 aside from the melting.

The M8 with a rkt head and a bit of clutching rips, the 1000 is a tractor, but doesn't have the snap my 8 has.

I think for an all-around rider the 8 with a bit of work is going to be great, I ride very high altitude & big climbs so the m1k makes sense for me, but I think the 8 with head & porting or pipe would be a better choice of $$.[/b]

Pretty much what he said...they all have to be set up.
I tried both and chose the 1000 as it had a lot more hp and torque IMO.
Pretty easy to take weight off of them to.

If you want really lite and flickable go with the M7.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Was going to buy a M1k 162" standard last year and ended up ordering a M8 153" SP a few weeks ago. Since I'm not a crazy steep and deep chute runner, I figure the 153" will be better for boondocking. M8 has plenty of power to get me in places I shouldn't be. :stop_nono:

Here's the data I've gathered - real world weights full of gas and oil.

[attachment=68562:sleds.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
...and the dealer sold me my 2008 M8 153 Nightfire Sno Pro for $1600 less before taxes than the 2007 M1K 162" standard was six months ago. For $1600, I'll tweak the M8 if I need to scare myself even more. :thumbsup:

People have discussed the pros/cons of each before; search through http://www.snowest.com/fusetalk/categories.cfm?catid=88

·
Registered
66 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (killerrf @ Apr 9 2007, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i would like the m1000 but im starting to convince myself that the extra money, power and weight is something that i really dont need. i would think where the m1000 would be the king is in the hill climbs. as far as powder riding i dont think the m8 would be that bad. its no heavier than a m7 and should ahve a little more grunt then the m7. i am by no means a hardcore mountain rider. i just like to go to the mountains once or twice a year hit the deep stuff if its there. i know there were some problems with the '07 800 engines especially guys with the crossfires and firecats. but for '08 they should be refined and cleaned up. i found a '06 m7 with less than 500 miles for $7500 canadian. but i would really like to pick up a '08 153". what do you guys think? thanks.[/b]
I would get the 06 M7, you can probably get him down to almost $7000, this means your gonna be saving about $6000(if the M8 costs $13,000) meaning you can put ALOT more money into it and make it wayy better than the stock M8. The M7 may also come with extras too.
Save your money, go with the M7, and after a yr or so, sell it and upgrade to bigger if you don't like it.
Josh

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
That weight chart you've got puts the sno pro as 8 lbs heavier than the standard. it also shows the 06 M7 being 1 lb lighter than the M8 & having reverse.

not trying to hassle, just curious which is right & wrong there?

& yeah, the m8 with a bit of tuning will get you in plenty of trouble!! It did for me this year.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am in about the same boat as killerrf is... I am wanting to get a mountain sled and i would like to find a holdover m7 but they are about impossible earlier this winter they were giving them away but i can't seem to find one around to save my life anymore... The M8 would save me some cash and it would be nice to have reverse... Looked at the new sleds at the A/C show here in town and the new stuff is really impressive i just don't know if i want to toss the cash out on a bran new one when there are many leftovers around my area that i can get a good deal on...

Those of you that know me from HCS know that i have been looking for some time... just hessitant to pull the trigger because i want to make the right choice the first time....

Thanks for the info guys... i will continue reading and shopping...

:sledder:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (joshua335 @ Apr 9 2007, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (killerrf @ Apr 9 2007, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i would like the m1000 but im starting to convince myself that the extra money, power and weight is something that i really dont need. i would think where the m1000 would be the king is in the hill climbs. as far as powder riding i dont think the m8 would be that bad. its no heavier than a m7 and should ahve a little more grunt then the m7. i am by no means a hardcore mountain rider. i just like to go to the mountains once or twice a year hit the deep stuff if its there. i know there were some problems with the '07 800 engines especially guys with the crossfires and firecats. but for '08 they should be refined and cleaned up. i found a '06 m7 with less than 500 miles for $7500 canadian. but i would really like to pick up a '08 153". what do you guys think? thanks.[/b]
I would get the 06 M7, you can probably get him down to almost $7000, this means your gonna be saving about $6000(if the M8 costs $13,000) meaning you can put ALOT more money into it and make it wayy better than the stock M8. The M7 may also come with extras too.
Save your money, go with the M7, and after a yr or so, sell it and upgrade to bigger if you don't like it.
Josh
[/b][/quote]

actually this sled has a pipe and can.... he wasnt quite sure what brand it was. thats all the mods he has done. he said hes 40+ years old and isnt a hardcore rider. he did tell me the first time after he bought the sled new it had one pot and piston that burnt down cause it wasnt getting oil. so warranty replaced the pot and piston and the crank. took it to the mountains last few times and works great. he wants to sell it cause he would like more power. i think this would be the choice for me. i think it still has warranty till next fall. your right for the money i would save i will probably still have big fun on the m7 153. plus i have my '05 f7 ext which i love and at 3000 miles its still strong and im having a hard time on if i want to part with this sled. this way i can swap parts also if i ever had to. the only thing on this sled is that it has that dam attack 20 track on which i dont like but i could cut the lugs off or sell or trade it in for a new challenger 2" which would be enough lug.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The M7 is a great buy if you can still find one. I've seen brand new 2006 for $6500. You'll be on a new, lightweight sled with a warranty.

The weight chart posted above has conflicting info.
My M8 162 was prepped by the dealer, with fluids, a splash of oil, and a splash of premix. It went from a forklift to a scale and weighed 495#.
Out of the box, it didn't run very good, in fact I rode with a brand new 07 X-RS 159" which did beat me on the hill.
I put an RKT clutch kit and added weight, which really woke the sled up. It will run right with the X-RS (which only ran for 1 more day, and then had clutch problems that are still not resolved), and an 05 Pol 800 RMK 159 that is clutched/piped/airbox/can. Remember, the M8 is still bone stock.
I also ran with another bone stock 800 RMK 159 which had a helix/spring change, and softer springs in the exhaust valves. The M8 ran circles around this sled, in fact the 07 600 RMK 155" with SLP pipe/can ran better than the stock RMK, and the 600 will get stuck while track poaching the M8 on a big climb.
My Father originally bought the 07 M8 0,0,0 for 9 months. I sold my mod M-sled, and had a bunch of cash not knowing what sled to buy. My Father wanted a new 08 nightfire M8 so he proposed that I just pay off his financing and take the 162". He wants the 153" as it will be a bit easier for him to ride. 95% of the time The 153" won't be any less of a sled than the 162", if not a little more nimble making the 162" a better sled only 5% of the time. (does that make sense?)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i cracked and traded in the old '05 f7 ext. i ordered a '08 m8 153 standard. i hope the m8 engine for '08 will be improved as well as the clutching and the sled as a package is as reliable as my old f7 was. 3000 miles and it was still real strong. oh and i picked the orange m8. bought a orange jacket and orange gloves to match the sled! :lol:

i had really thought hard about getting the m7 but then i dont have space for two sleds and one would have to go anyway. i had a real bad itch for a new sled and there is no cure for that! :p .... but i didnt want to rid of my old f7 at the sametime. i guess if thats the only problem i have is deciding on which sled to buy i guess things arent so bad! but thanks to all that replied.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also posted this in SnoWest...

153 VS 162

Is there that much difference in track length- it's realyl only 4.5"? I choosing between the two m-series nightfire sleds- the M8 and M1000. Money isn't really a concern. I love climbing and getting to new areas- getting high off the deck! BUT I also love dropping cliffs and cornices. AND exploring- boonin' and carving. I'm kindof an all-around guy except for jumping manmade hits- I ain't into that.

I was leaning towards the 1000- I thought it would be the best bang for the buck in the HP to weight ratios AFTER you lighten it. It's just the nightfire only comes in the 162 for the 1000.

The M8- 153" track just like my old M7. I have been hearing good things regarding little power secrets- talked with CPC today- he's got great clutching kits avail. RKT's got the head mod.

With either sled I'm gonna be changing the following- primary weights, secondary DD mods to the 'ol spring, can, possibly air box, y-pipe, 2 wheel kit, side mesh, 3" riser. Whatever I do, I hope to keep the reliabilty to a maximum.

I understand that nothing is gonna be as nimble and quick to carve like my M7. I just haven't ridden a 162 to have a comparison- having a hard time making a decision. Most of my buddies are riding new doo 800's. All I know is that I'm set on the nightfires.

Any opinions- as biased as they are- are welcomed. Remember- 153 VS 162

Thanks,
TP

bump, bump-- need some advice today for snocheck. I'm losing my mind!

·
Registered
249 Posts
It sounds to me by the description of your riding style that the M8 153 would suit you better.
With the mods you talked about it will run with the Doo's. Prob. out perform them.
If you want to destroy your buddy's then get the M1000 It will take a little more time
to get used to the extra weight and track, but setup properly they rock.
I would'nt recommend the CPC clutch kit which is another version/copy of the RKT kit which is
a version/copy of the OVS kit. You will most likely spend most the season trying to get it working
to your satisfaction, if ever.

·
Registered
138 Posts
There is no way that M8 is lighter than the M7. I have rode both and you can tell a weight difference. The M7 has a lighter chassis and no reverse so go figure. I would bet it's an easy 20lbs lighter than the M8 stock for stock. I am not saying the M7 is better by any means but I do know the M8 is not as light as the M7.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cant wait to get the new sled! :super_happy: and to think there is another 5 months till i probably get it!!!! bang your head

·
Registered
76 Posts
i just bought an 07 M8 153" and had it out this last weekend in Radium, BC
it was fricken awesome....
it got me where i probably didnt need to go and then some

and i am a "new" mountain rider and its one thing to have confidence in yourself to climb, but
to not have confidence in your sled is another

i had all the confidence in the world in the M8

tonns of power and was easy to handle in the trees and sidehilling

mine is bone stock, MBRP can and that's it..

i would reccommend this sled to anyone, you will be happy w your purchase :thumbsup:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
did it run smooth thru the whole power band with the mbrp can on? clutching all stock too?

yeah i hope the clutching for the '08 M8's is a little better as well as reprogrammed fuel map. heard the '07's arent clutched the best from factory... way off. but thats awesome your happy with your sled! you got a good price on it!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PowderSeeker @ Sep 25 2007, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
hey, have hte # of hte guy with the m7???? Im in edmonton, alberta if (hopefully) thats close!!![/b]
i believe the fellow lives in lloyd, ab and keeps the sled in airdrie, ab. i can get the number but ill have to some searching for it. that was a while ago i called him.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts