Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2005 M7 162" a little while ago and have decided I don't like the attack 20 track. (in powder position) How easy is it to flip the track? I've replaced a track on a '94 ZR so I have some experience. I ride 70% powder and 30% trails. I fishtail and don't have a lot of grip on anything that resembles hardpack. Am I wasting my time with thinking about going to hillclimb postion on the track? Or should I just live with it until I can afford a camoplast?

Thanks-

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm no expert, but I run a 162 that also came with the 'tac20. I ran it in both positions. In power, there is NO better track, in the "Hill climb" position, there is no track that hooks up better on trails and/or hard pack. The only problem with it in the HC position, it just a trench digger. If you do anything, buy a Camo Challenger and get a "middle of the road" track.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Removing the track is relatively easy...just don't be tired when you do it, because i always seem to do a stupid screw up when ive tried to tear mine apart.
Raise the back of the sled (i use a cherry picker), remove the skit with the 4 bolts/nuts. Pop the belt off, followed by the secondary clutch. While your there, pull out that rubber dampener piece between the diamond drive case and the chassis, theres a sneeky little nut behind there (first simple mistake of mine). Go around to the other side of the sled, and remove the... bolt thats in the very middle of the jackshaft where the disk brake is. It is pretty tight, and loctited, and long, so careful. Remove the 6 nuts holding the DD case in place, and gently slide the case out towards you, trying to support the jackshaft to prevent seal damage. Now, take your trusty 3/8" air ratchet (best tool for this job) and poke your head inside the tunnel, and remove the 5 nuts that hold the brake caliper assembly in place. Hold the track away from the drivers, and start working the jack shaft out till the driver touches the tunnel. You can then wrastle the track out at an angle, the help of the lil woman is very benificial here. Simple as pie.

And about the tack 20...i gave it a good chance. Previous owner abused the track on hardpack in the PP, and had it way too lose and it had damage to the sides of the lugs. I reversed the track, straitened the paddles, and it worked pretty good, but still not what i was hoping for. Paddles started flying off, and it was pretty embarassing to have in the back of my truck. First ride today on my 156x2.5" camo extreme that i got a smokin deal on slightly used, and imma never go back!
Brian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts