Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm new to arctic cat and my 06 m7 seems to be really drinking the oil and i've heard this before. i was wondering if i can get some details on how to adjust it and how do i calculate the ratio and stuff?

·
Registered
71 Posts
To calculate oil usage you fill your gas tank full as well as your oil reservoir and mark the fill level of the reservoir with a sharpie. Ride your sled for a normal day. Measure the amount of gas you need to refill your tank as well as the ounces of oil to fill the reservoir.

gallons gas used x 128 oz/gallon / ounces of oil = oil use ratio.

Most agree that 40:1 is about as lean as is likely safe for a wide range of conditions and many run a bit richer than that to be safe.

To change the oil use you can lengthen (lean) or shorten (richen) the oil pump connecting rod that is down by the throttle bodies in front of the engine. I believe one turn = about 8:1 change in consumption (don't hold me to that). If you do a search there is a thread that has great instructions and even some photos on how/where to do this.

To be safe, calculate original oil use. Adjust 1 turn, calculate again, adjust if needed, etc.

MT800mc

·
Registered
795 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MT800mc @ Feb 28 2007, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
To calculate oil usage you fill your gas tank full as well as your oil reservoir and mark the fill level of the reservoir with a sharpie. Ride your sled for a normal day. Measure the amount of gas you need to refill your tank as well as the ounces of oil to fill the reservoir.

Most agree that 40:1 is about as lean as is likely safe for a wide range of conditions and many run a bit richer than that to be safe.

To change the oil use you can lengthen (lean) or shorten (richen) the oil pump connecting rod that is down by the throttle bodies in front of the engine. I believe one turn = about 8:1 change in consumption (don't hold me to that). If you do a search there is a thread that has great instructions and even some photos on how/where to do this.

To be safe, calculate original oil use. Adjust 1 turn, calculate again, adjust if needed, etc.

MT800mc[/b]
WOW !

Perfectly written, great post.
I was going to say " Do a search, its been done to death this topic" lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Only one thing to add, when you detach the pump lever, do not let it rotate all the way around or you will add another 30 minutes to your project. That is if you are doing it from the top. From the bottom it is much easier, if you have another reason to open up the bottom of your sled. Mine (M8) came running at 28:1, looked like a bug fogger in the yard. Come to think of it there are no bugs around, perhaps its working or it could be that its 15 below today......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's exactly what i was looking for thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
71 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mcflying @ Feb 28 2007, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MT800mc @ Feb 28 2007, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MT800mc[/b]
WOW !

Perfectly written, great post.
I was going to say " Do a search, its been done to death this topic" lol
[/b][/quote]

It was a slow day at work this a.m. LOL!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts