Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Runs okay for awhile, then when I start getting on it hard the idle creeps up to 3000+. Shut it down for awhile or just let it idle that way for awhile and it drops back down after 5 minutes, but creeps right back up as soon as I start riding hard again. If I keep running it, it will eventually just want to stall unless I pump the throttle. Performance is fine in the mid and wide open during all this.

Did some basic testing of sensors and case leaks, but it runs great in the garage. Next move will be to relocate the shop to my riding area so I can test it when it's acting up, as it only acts up when it's under load.

Wouldn't a sensor malfunction just put it into rich mode? Reeds? Fuel pump? Help! i don't want to have to haul it to a shop.

·
Registered
324 Posts
maybe check for a vaccum leak, sounds like maybe something has to get hot enough before it warps enough to start to leak? i'm a car mechanic and when an efi car has a high idle it is usually do to a vaccum leak.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Have you inspected intake track, crank seals etc already?

Maybe its too obvious but is the throttle cable possibly too tight?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking along the same lines Sandman. Warpage when hot. Maybe a reed petal going? Think i'll put the acetylene tank in the truck and go get er hot and check it when it's doing the high idle thing.

Fiddled with the throttle cable first thing. Actully reached in between the pipes and tried pushing back down on the butterfly/fuel ?actuator thing. I did have a throttle cable melt down before and it didn't act like this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm relieved to say, if not a little embarassed, it turns out to be the throttle cable is somehow tightening up even after I adjust it. I thought I had tried pushing down on the butterfly valve before with no results, but today I was able to get it to drop down by pushing hard (and melt my gloves!). So I adjust it good and loose, to the point it won't even open to full throttle. 10 minutes of riding later it starts fast idling again. All the slack I put into it is now gone and it's held open a little again. WTF? Got dark before I could play with it some more, but at least I know (think I know!) what it is, just need to finner out why it tightens up. Thanks for the input guy's, i think i'm close to solving it now.

·
Registered
324 Posts
sounds like the cable is fraying inside and causing it to stick once it warms up. a buddies of mine did the same thing except we were like 25 miles from the truck and his was sticking around 5-6k, had to ride it back, thank god for the tors system so when he would let off the engine would cut out. if ya' replace the cable you should be fine, his started sticking after a really hard ride in deep stuff, figured it probably started to fray then...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts