Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been going out west a couple times each year for the last two to tree years and i am getting sick or renting. Im not the best rider but smart enough not to get myself into stupid situations so i was leaning more towards the M8. I was also thinking of the 141 track any opinions

·
Registered
52 Posts
The M8 is probibly an awesome sled, I don't know though, I have yet to ride one or ride with one. I have the 6 my buddies have the 7. Not much difference between the two where the motor is concered. I bought mine with a 141 that was a big mistake! I have sense put 153 on it, big difference in floatation. I really couldn't tell any handling differences on the little trails I do ride, which is about 10% of my riding. I can't speak for anyone else, but if I was to get a new sled I would go with the 162. Longer the better for moutain riding I think. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
An m8 is capable of spinning a 162 with ease. With that in mind I wouldn't even consider any thing less than 153.
The type of riding I prefer boondocking and hillclimbing in the steep and deep, so a 162 is a no brainer for me. But that is just my preference. You will notice a little more front end push at 162 though, but there are a couple of mods that will help you carve alot better i.e. 2 wheel kit. Just remember a long track will allow you to go places your buddies can't, therefore they cant help you should you get stuck.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i live in wisconsin and am going to Michigan Tech in Houghton this comming up fall most of the time when i rent im stuck with a summit 600 144 and that seems to get me where i would want to go. Wondering if 153 or 162 might be much in midwest and was also thinking that the extra 200cc's might be nice

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the m6 141 it gets everywhere I want to go in the mountains. If your primary riding is not in the mountains I would not go longer than that. If your not a very experienced mountain rider the longer you get and more power you have may get you into places you can't get out of. You may trying to go places that will just get you into alot of trouble. Just my 2 cents. I was alao thinking I should have gotten a crossfire and just swap tracks when I go to the mountains. Most of my riding is trails and river running, the M's are good at it still fun to boondock with, and its short enough to get me around anywhere I need to play around with. I am hearing the M8 is awsome I would have bought one in a 141, but couldn't wait last year for the new sleds to come out and I was on my way to the mountains.

No regrets with my M6, there are alot of extras you can add to make it perform like a stock M8.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ride a M8 162 and for riding conditions in the Canadian Rockies the longest track rules. It rides deep powder way better than the 153, from what I've experienced. Track area is what It's all about in the mountains. Friends of mine are building 171's.

Having the power to spin the long track is also necessary hence I recommend the M8.

Both machines are nice, enjoy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ride a 153 M7 it is a great sled and I would not go any shorter on the track length but read the posts on the M8 A/c is having some problems with them it is after all an introductary sled and if you can rent one more year I would and wait until bugs are worked out of the M8. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm from MN and drive a m7 153. I ride it on trails it works for me moght have to replace hyfax a little more often. spend about two week out west a year. I guess if i woudl not have got a good deal on the M i thin ki would have bout a cross fire and put a 144" on it. But you will be happy with what ever you buy. The 153 dose get warm from time to time on the trails but i think the new M's come with better heat exchanges

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have two M8's 153" ones mine and the other is my dads. We live out in Utah and they get us to a lot of places without getting stuck really good in the deep powder. If you do get an M8 make sure your dealer does a good prep job because our dealer was really good about it and he had heard about the melting and they preped it really good with heat tape no melting at all going on. If your not really in the mountains and in powder I would go with a crossfire.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i am still considering the 153 but am leaning towards the 141 because i have rented 144's and they have had the opportunity to get me many places where i shouldn't be and being only 160lbs i don't think i need the extra floatation. If i do decide on the 141 should i go with the 6 instead of the 8?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would opt for the m8 153. It will be plenty of sled to grow into and will have plenty of power to boot. The M6 is a great choice too but you might find after a year of riding it you want more power.

·
Registered
66 Posts
M6 141"
or
M8 153"

I would lean towards the M8, because in a couple yrs you may have realized that you dont have enough power in the M6 and might want to upgrade to something bigger. But you will also save money with the M6, either 2 choices you should be happy. (If it were me I would go with the M8).
Josh

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a M8 153 and I love it. On the other side of the coin, the melting issues as well as a problem with my tranny not fully engaging make me debate my decision a little. My brother-in-law runs a M6 153 and can do anything that needs to be done out on the west coast. We don't tend to have the powder of the Mid-West so anything over 153 is overkill unless you plan on climbing mountains non-stop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts