Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 08 m1000 snow pro I am gonna in stall a aftermarket y pipe or a power commander maybe both. Witch would be more beneficial. Some pros and cons on both?

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
power commander is a nice little block of plastic if you don't have maps for it. 100% useless without someone building the maps, or you spending a ton of time yourself.

I've got buddies with them that work, and buddies who hate them.

On a stock sled though, there's nothing to be gained with one, what they do is allow you to map your sled for proper fuel once you do more mods... It's not like buying a box for a truck or car... totally different.

IF you do mods, and then need a box, I'd recommend an attitude box, a boondocker box, or a PC III... IMO the PC V is a waste. It's just not a "do it yourself" tuning box.

Reactions: Greenbleeder

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
whichever one is CHEAP!

They all are 99.9% the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
An aftermarket y-pipe will see about 15hp or so gains but you MUST run a power commander (or boondocker, etc). I would highly recommend you look up DynoTech Research and pay the $25 or so for the subscription. Jim will have maps for whatever setup you are thinking of running. If you get the PCV from him he will even load the correct map so it will be plug and play. No need to try to make your own maps.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
An aftermarket y-pipe will see about 15hp or so gains but you MUST run a power commander (or boondocker, etc). I would highly recommend you look up DynoTech Research and pay the $25 or so for the subscription. Jim will have maps for whatever setup you are thinking of running. If you get the PCV from him he will even load the correct map so it will be plug and play. No need to try to make your own maps.
If you have a dyno where 15hp was gained with a Y pipe alone, please post it up. I don't believe that exists, but they tend to show between 8 and 9 hp on the 1000, which is very respectable for such a low priced mod.

Also, needing a box will depend on your sled and altitude. MOST do not (for Y pipe alone), some do. If you're going to get a box anyhow, put an intake on as well, on the 1000 the combination of the two goes together very well, and the two together make nearly 20 hp, again for very little money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like I said before, check out DynoTech Research...best $25 you will spend. And sorry, my bad, +/- 12 hp gains with y-pipe...+/- 20 hp with y-pipe, pipe and pcv. Personally, I would not run a y-pipe without the commander but do your research and good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
Like I said before, check out DynoTech Research...best $25 you will spend. And sorry, my bad, +/- 12 hp gains with y-pipe...+/- 20 hp with y-pipe, pipe and pcv. Personally, I would not run a y-pipe without the commander but do your research and good luck.
Yeah, running any mods without knowing where the motor stands is a bad idea... If you run without a box, you better be checking plugs, or getting an EGT.

I'm not a fan of the PCV because you can't change it, and because out here I don't know anyone with a PCV that doesn't have some issues/ bogs. Any mod will have SOME differences from stock, but at our altitude the PCV just doesn't work very well. (this is based off of people with paid for maps, not do it yourselfers... they're WAY worse)

I'd assume that down low that's not the case... lots of things react differently at different elevations for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts