Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 500i auto and was wondering how to lube the Choke cable. I would like to do it from the Handlebar side.
Any help would be great.
Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Some folks were putting the choke cable through a plastic bag at the high end (handlebar) and getting a seal of sorts by taping it up then filling the bag with cable lube and letting gravity feed it overnight.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dukie @ Jan 13 2007, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a 02 500i auto and was wondering how to lube the Choke cable. I would like to do it from the Handlebar side.
Any help would be great.
Thanks. :thumbsup:[/b]
Is your choke cable sticking? It might be freezing if you're in cold country. Some suggest using antifreeze to lube the cable in winter. It it's not a freezing issue, lubing is required. Lubing cables while they're still on the machine isn't easy. One contributor suggested using a plastic bag and sealing it off some how that will work but getting a good seal around the cable can be tough. If you're going that route. Flush the cable with WD40 first and allow it to drain. Then add a light machine oil into the bag and let it seep into the cable. Another way to do it is to remove the cable from the machine roll into a loose circle and submerse it in a pan of light oil. Leave it submerged over night.

·
Registered
322 Posts
extreme temperature graphite lube... grease lithium type stuff in spray can form! started spraying it into the top of the cable, working the throttle back and fro... seems to work great for me.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I bought a kit a few years back by a company called Petrochem. It came with a small can of spray lube and a clamp-on device that clamps around the cable end (throttle, choke, brake, etc..) You then put the small red tube that plugs into the nozzle of the spray can and connect it to the rubber reciever in the clamp-on device. When you spray, ALL of the fluid is directed into the cable and comes out the other end...lubing the whole thing. It's a great tool to have....I paid about 15 bucks for the kit from Dennis Kirk, I believe. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is not a freezing issue, I just thought i would lube it as it has never been done. The cable works fine not I was just thinking of preventative maint.
I will look for the clamp on style. Thanks Any more ideas that might be easier?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I to would like to find one of those kits. I guess i will check DK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts