Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search, and didn't get any hits, so here's the problem

Just got home from Florida, and got the new f6 lxr out of the trailer to do some laps around the house. When I was getting it out of the trailer, I noticed marks on the left lower a-arm. It has been hitting on the bulkhead...so I looked on the right side and found the same thing.

Tried to get some pics, but didn't come out too well at night. Will definitely be calling my dealer tomorrow about this.......
[attachment=64771:07_F6_001.jpg][attachment=64772:07_F6_002.jpg]
[attachment=64773:07_F6_003.jpg][attachment=64774:07_F6_004.jpg]
[attachment=64775:07_F6_005.jpg]

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thouht I saw some postings on it before, but wasn't able to find anything doing a search. So what did you do about it ? Does Cat have any answers ? I can see it causing a problem after some time, to both the arms and the bulkhead.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would like to think... to hope... to expect... that when the front end bottoms out over a bump/jump that this A-arm/bulkhead spot is NOT where the bottoming is taking place. Someone PLEASE tell me this isn't so. – Roy

·
Registered
236 Posts
My A-arms are hitting the bulkhead as well. That is Arctic Cats HIGH TECH bumper stop, when the suspension bottoms out! It took them 4 years to develop the concept. When I saw that, it helped me to understand some of the many other engineering flops. Nothing can surprise me anymore. Anything is possible with these machines.

Redd

·
Registered
412 Posts
Someone on HCS mentioned possibly marks from when sleds were being shipped? I'd really, really, really hate to think that this is the front end bump stop on our new $$$$$$$$ 21st century state of the art snowmobiles. Maybe in real world trail riding the front end travel would never really reach that point? Hmmm... might have to touch 'em with a magic marker and check for myself, and/or put a zip tie on each shock shaft to see how much travel is really used. – Roy

·
Registered
236 Posts
Roy: We might have to take a grinder to that bulk head. We might be able to get an extra inch of travel. Seriously, I am pretty sure it is the A-arm hitting the bulk head, because the marks are on both and in the right spots. I don't think it is a big deal. Like I said earlier, it's small potatoes compared to some of the other F ups. Gives you something to think about when you are pounding her through the rough stuff!!

Redd

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just to make sure, I am going to pop into my dealer and take a look at a couple of new ones that are still on the floor. He is just down the road from me. Then we will know for sure if it is from shipping or from bottoming! I will keep you posted.

Redd

·
Registered
412 Posts
I guess a guy could loosen the front shock springs all the way and then compress the front end all the way just to verify this for sure. I don't recall right offhand sitting here at the 'puter – are there any rubber bumpers on the front shock shafts??? – Roy

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes Roy. There are bumpers on the shafts. Mine are usually up near the top, like I am using most of the travel and I would in no way call myself an aggressive rider. I thought it was just because my little F5 LXR was sprung a little light. I guess it is what gives them the nice ride. I don't mind using the travel, otherwise what good is it, but a little more ingenious bottoming stop would be nice!

Redd

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have seen the same thing after the very first ride,no progession of damage with 1450 miles on the sled except rust on arms where paint is flexing off. damm cny salt! and shame on Arctic Cat for allowing this to happen on the flag ship models!

G

·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FELINETAMER @ Feb 28 2007, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have seen the same thing after the very first ride,no progession of damage with 1450 miles on the sled except rust on arms where paint is flexing off. damm cny salt! and shame on Arctic Cat for allowing this to happen on the flag ship models![/b]
Your A arms will not hit when the shocks are in place. They should have put something in there when they shipped the sleds because whithout the shocks in place the suspension over compresses and that is where the mark comes from. Get your dealer to do some touchup on it at the end of the season as a warrenty item. They should cover it no questions. Was never noticed on earlier cats because of the crossover bar on the front of the lower A arm.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, I just went out and loosened up the springs all the way, had a friend push down on the front bumper and yes the a-arms did hit on the bulkhead. So, from what I'm seeing, unless the springs coil-bind and stop the shock from moving (can you say broken spring retainers), it is possible for this to happen while trail riding. Not happy. Dealer is calling Cat about this.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
It happens during shipping. The A Arms are jammed up inside the bulkhead in the crate. I had to kick the A arm to get it to come down. Nice, brand new sled and already scratched out of the crate. I'm sure I posted that a long time ago when I picked up my sled during the fall.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I went to my dealer and looked at a couple of new sleds on the show room floor and there were marks on the A-arm from shipping, but little more than the paint removed. The bulk head where they would have rubbed against in shipping, had NO discernable marks on it. No evidence of anything coming in contact with it.

I went home and looked at my F5 LXR. The A-arms had more then the paint removed. There was actually a grove worn in them. Plus, the bulk head had a very noticeabe bruise on each side, just as if I had taken a hammer and banged on it, right on the edge.

There is no doubt in my mind the A-arm is hitting the bulk head at full travel of the front suspension. There is very little clearance between the two with the machine sitting on the garage floor. About 1.5 to 2 inches. To make matters worse, the bulk head angles out and the A-arm angles in, so the clearance is used up pretty fast.

To hell with it. Let it bump and grind. It will either bend, break or survive. There are more serious design flaws on these machines to worry about then that. It's not as if Cat will do anything about it or even admit the problem exists!! It is more of an embarassment then anything. I hope my SkiDoo buddies don't find out about it!

Redd

·
Registered
104 Posts
No doubt they have already read it here and we can only hope that the 08 rev folds up like a piece of tin foil. Then we can listen to them bitch all winter about what an overrated high dollar hunk of s#*t they invested in like we did this year!

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree Redd....with what I saw today, they will hit if bottomed out. My only concern would be if they worn enough or hit hard enough to actually break while riding....or crack the bulkhead....but I guess that's what 4 yr warranties are for...........

going to put more miles on it in about 10 mins........my little riding buddy (my 11yro son) just got home from school.....

·
Registered
412 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (taperk600 @ Feb 28 2007, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well, I just went out and loosened up the springs all the way, had a friend push down on the front bumper and yes the a-arms did hit on the bulkhead. So, from what I'm seeing, unless the springs coil-bind and stop the shock from moving (can you say broken spring retainers), it is possible for this to happen while trail riding. Not happy. Dealer is calling Cat about this.[/b]
Thanks for checking that out but, damnit... that's what I was afraid of – they WILL indeed bottom out there. Hopefully some or most of the shock rubber bumpers are being put to work before this serious bottoming out occurs? What model sled exactly did you check this out on? – Roy

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.