Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2000 Arctic Cat ZRT-800. The sled starts from cold with no problem. It idles fine, it tops out at 50 MPH with the throttle pinned. It will also randomly shutdown on me. Not an abrupt shutoff, but more like a gradual rev down and shutoff. After it shutsdown it won't start again for about 5 minutes at which time it'll start right up on the first pull. I've tested the stator and pulser coils both of which read within spec. I've also replaced the spark plugs.

I'm looking for any ideas people may have as to what's causing these symptoms. I'm going to get one more crack at fixing it this season so I'd like to make it count.

Thanks!

--Chris

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Well, When the coils go to hell they work fine when cold and as they heat up they will not work very well at all. To me it sounds like one or both of the coils went bad. A CDI box when going bad usually breaks up at a higher Rpm and wont let it run top end. If you have a buddy close try swapping your coils with his and run it. If you end up needing coils PM me as I have a bunch of coils as we use to run MSD's on or race sleds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That's actually what I'm hoping the problem is. I actually have some spare coils to test with. I just thought I should try to cover all my bases since this weekend will be the last chance I get.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Could be your tank vent is plugged. When it stalls out again open the filler cap and see if it sucks air.
I have never seen that on a sled but I know it is possible. A plugged vent would cause it to basically run out of fuel at WOT but would run OK after sitting for a minute or two then it would run out of fuel again same goes for a bad fuel pump.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately I only got more questions this past weekend. For some reason the track locked up and I was just burning the belt when I tried to move it. The only way I got it to move was to get off and push it as I gave it throttle. I'm guessing the brake is either stuck or there's something lodged in the track. I haven't had a chance to look it through thoroughly yet. I'll let you all know what I find. Thanks,

--Chris

·
Registered
78 Posts
My sons zrt 600 would do the same thing pull strong to about 6800 rpm and top out[60 mph or so].Random cylinders would foul out as well.We replaced both coils,new plugs,put all new fuel lines and impulse line.Then it died all together,I bypassed the tss and all his problems went away.That system gives Artic cat a bad name I tell every body with one of these sleds to bypass it right away even if it's working okay.Because it will give you trouble sooner or later.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
a sticking primary will do all of the things you are describing
maybe need to rebuild it or replace it
The primary clutch appears to move freely, it squeezes together when the throttle is applied and releases when the throttle is released.

crazysledneck87 said:
have you checked compression?
I haven't yet, but the thought had crossed my mind. Any one know where I can get the tool I need to test compression?

quarter horse said:
My sons zrt 600 would do the same thing pull strong to about 6800 rpm and top out[60 mph or so].Random cylinders would foul out as well.We replaced both coils,new plugs,put all new fuel lines and impulse line.Then it died all together,I bypassed the tss and all his problems went away.That system gives Artic cat a bad name I tell every body with one of these sleds to bypass it right away even if it's working okay.Because it will give you trouble sooner or later.
So this is my second ZRT 800, and interestingly enough my first one had a TSS but this one does not. The TSS went bad in my first sled and I disconnected it and it ran like a dream.

I'll check all the things you all have mentioned and I'll report back what I find. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would get a multimeter and test the stator while you're at it. I've experienced the exact same circumstances - won't pull high rpm, then die and won't restart for a few mins (while it's hot). There's a low-rpm and high-rpm coil on the stator. I lost my high-rpm coil only and it seemed more difficult to diagnose as the sled would start and run most of the time and then hesitate/die/backfire when you tried to get going.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would get a multimeter and test the stator while you're at it. I've experienced the exact same circumstances - won't pull high rpm, then die and won't restart for a few mins (while it's hot). There's a low-rpm and high-rpm coil on the stator. I lost my high-rpm coil only and it seemed more difficult to diagnose as the sled would start and run most of the time and then hesitate/die/backfire when you tried to get going.
I've checked it at room temp, and it's spot on. I haven't had a chance to check it after it dies given I couldn't run it last time.

04 EDGE said:
To the OP, you have a clutch problem. If the sled will not move from a stop your secondary is stuck open.
I looked at the clutches and the secondary is as closed as it gets. But I'll check it more thoroughly when I get a chance to go through the sled. (Probably in a couple weeks)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What type of snow conditions where you riding in when the track locked up?
I wouldn't so much call it "snow conditions" nor would I call it "riding" ;-)

I had just taken the sled out of the trailer to put gas in it and it was pretty much a mud pit. When I tried getting it back in the trailer it didn't want to move. This is why I think there may be something lodged in the track somewhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi all, I know it's been a while but the snow is flying again and I'm working on this sled again. I'm starting to suspect either a compression issue or a seal(s) in the crankcase. My reasoning is the sled runs fine when first started, and if on a lift the track turns fine. As soon as the sled is on the ground and has to put out actual power it struggles. I ran it through my yard and anytime I hit snow deeper than a couple inches it started to struggle. Also I'm thinking if it's a compression issue due to something like bad rings then when the sled gets warm and the cylinders expand the sled would lose compression completely.

I have a friend with a compression tester so I should be able to rule that out shortly, but does my theory make sense in the first place?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i'm with edge.

you have a clutch issue.
The secondary sure looks closed. I can put it up on the lift, rev it and watch it, but is there a better way to check it? Also if the clutch being open were the issue, wouldn't it behave somewhat normally once it got moving? I liken it to starting a car in 2nd or 3rd gear, it wouldn't want to start moving but once it did it would operate normally. That's not what I'm seeing here, if it's moving and I pin the throttle wide open the sled struggles.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts