Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just rebuilt the motor in my sled (95 580) and a bog has crept up on me. After i rebuilt it, I had 135psi compression in both (not sure now I havnt checked yet)

But could a hole in the expansion chamber cause these symptoms? The bog goes away after you get moving ~ 30MPH.

Only reason i ask is the insulation has started to come out of the heat shield.

Sent from somewhere in MN

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what i planned on doing first since i saw insulation come out but wanted an opinion first. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also can it be ran without the heat shield on it for a couple last rides?

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would this tiny hole cause it?

·
Registered
976 Posts
We definitely have More than a couple rides left.:lol:

The heat shields are there for a reason. However, both my 97 ZRT600 Powder Extreme, and 98 ZR500, do not have heat shields. Close to 9000 miles on the Powder Extreme, and 5000 on the ZR500. All's good so far.

I personally would try a temporary fix on the hole. Perhaps some muffler patch & hose clamp would get you through the season.I dunno

As far as the hole causing the middle range bog/hesitation, I don't know 100%. My ZR500 is doing that too. Except one of my exhaust manifold gaskets is leaking. spewing oil on the front of the cylinder. I'll be installing new gaskets, tonight, and taking a close look at the clutches as well.

I'm no expert, but I have a feeling the expansion chamber hole, and my exhaust manifold gasket, is causing a lean condition at that rpm. Thus the bog/hesitation like my leaky gasket. Would hate to do a rebuild again.:wacko:

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I welded on a patch piece and found my bog issue. Busted left rear motor mount allowing motor to flex and basically start out in 2nd or 3rd gear

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Put on over 100 trouble free miles today! Man am i sore

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, you do fast work! Glad you got it fixed.Clap
Thanks oh and by the way This was done at 12:30 yesterday not 9 something last night.

I almost didn't find the problem I was gonna head out for a ride with a couple friends and work thru the low end bog. I had it up on the stand warming up (after all my other changes that I tried, tested and put back where it was) and I had the hood open and cracked the throttle to the bar and watched the motor shift back.

Pulled it into the garage, pulled secondary, removed PTO carb, pul a half shovel full of snow in the belly pan under the clutches and wet rags over the oil pump and covering the bottom. Put mount on and welded it back up.

Put everything back together and away I wentCat happy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts