Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I just freshened up the top end and it start up ran great. Had it in the yard today to wash it ran great. But it doesn't start on the second pull like it should. Its more like 4 pulls and idles low then stalls. once its running it seems to run okay. Last year I had trouble on my last ride with getting to 50 mph and it wants to fall out and sputter. I rang the stator out for resistance while cold and it was perfect. I adjusted the throttle position sencer. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Do you have any idea what fuel pressure you are getting? I has the same thing happen and found that the fuel pressure regulator was not holding enough pressure. I took it off the fuel rail and cleaned it and the problem went away. I also had a 99 zl500 that would do the same thing, but this time it was the pickup/smart valves in the tank that stopped working. One the screen was plugged and the other was a stuck check valve.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Place a fuel pressure gauge in the hose between the pump and the fuel rail. the fuel pressure should be 37.9 + or - 2.2

Hope this helps Jeff

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Funoutfitters @ Nov 18 2009, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Place a fuel pressure gauge in the hose between the pump and the fuel rail. the fuel pressure should be 37.9 + or - 2.2

Hope this helps Jeff[/b]
it will. If I didn't have to make supper I'd be heading out to the garage. Thanks
will any fuel pressure gauge work or is there a certain one to go buy?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Funoutfitters @ Nov 18 2009, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It needs to be a liquid filled gauge

jeff[/b]
could I make one with hose barbs and 3/8" pipe T with a regular liquid filled water pressure gauge on the top? I don't have a fuel pressure gauge.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (the grinch @ Nov 20 2009, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
how did ya adjust your tps switch just turn it or did ya use a ohm meter[/b]
turned it as close as I could without the red led under the computer blinking. is that the right way?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sledmac 98 @ Nov 20 2009, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (the grinch @ Nov 20 2009, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how did ya adjust your tps switch just turn it or did ya use a ohm meter[/b]
turned it as close as I could without the red led under the computer blinking. is that the right way?
[/b][/quote]
ttt

·
Registered
737 Posts
You should really use the TPS adjustment tool which your dealer should have. If you know him very well maybe he would borrow it to you and then you could set it to the specs.

Jeff

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Funoutfitters @ Nov 20 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You should really use the TPS adjustment tool which your dealer should have. If you know him very well maybe he would borrow it to you and then you could set it to the specs.

Jeff[/b]
thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sledmac 98 @ Nov 18 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Funoutfitters @ Nov 18 2009, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It needs to be a liquid filled gauge

jeff[/b]
could I make one with hose barbs and 3/8" pipe T with a regular liquid filled water pressure gauge on the top? I don't have a fuel pressure gauge.
[/b][/quote]

Well guys I tried this and lets put it this way my zr now has a in line fuel pressure gauge. It works sweet!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts