Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2006 firecat f6 just did a rebuild using an SPI kit everything went fine except the rings on one piston were pretty tight and didn’t compress like they should and we’re a pretty tight fit I thought maybe they would loosen up after I ran it a bit so I put it in and it started up and it ran just fine then I did a compression test and it showed 60psi I’ve barely ran it since their isn’t snow on the ground yet but I’m just wondering if this is normal or should I be concerned?

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
Did you install rings correct way up AND confirm whether ring end gap was within specs?

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
Do you have a service manual for your machine? If not a free one can be downloaded from countrycat .com. At home page top of screen in grey bar under technical information. It has everything you need to know about rebuilding and specs.

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
There’s markings which you can barely see in which that side is up. IIRC with SPI rings. the lighter coloured ring is the top one. Someone else hopefully can confirm this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the service manual downloaded on my phone the only thing I paid attention to was the torque specs and the tighten sequences

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
At this point you should take it apart. Don’t know results if not done as per specs. I guess we will see when you have it apart.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Yeah the rings will have a letter or dot on them, which indicate which way is up. As 660catman said, it can be difficult to see. I'm just in the middle of rebuilding my ZR 900 and could barely see the letter on the stock rings. It was quite faint. Had to hold it in the light just right to see it. Magnifying glass or reading glasses helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So to anyone who’s interested I ended up removing the piston with low compression and sure enough you guys were right the rings were in upside down and as a result we’re smooshed into the piston I inspected the cylinder and didn’t see any damage luckily I barely ran it like that so I ordered a new piston and rings, measured end gap and installed them the correct way and compression is where it should be and I had a chance to ride it and it runs just fine lessons learned for future rebuilds

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
Good to hear you got it going without too much damage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts