Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my ZL is one loud sled! Why are the 98's so loud? my friend has a 2000 ZL 500 EFI and it's not half as loud, even at idle. Stock cans on both.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I can tell you why, the 98 thunder cat was the fastest ever made for thunder cats also was the loudest. The economy and the dnr told arctic after 98 to reduce the noise levels. Thus i think there is some bullshit on keeping your stock can system they do a lot of research but was told by the government to govern them more noise wise thus when they did they never where as fast as they were in 98 with the thunder cat. Enjoy the sound its stock!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really wish they would of left them at "stock sound" because man does it sound great at idle! Hey thanks for the info also.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (insaincat @ Dec 23 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticWolf 24 @ Dec 23 2009, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 98-99 cats were all loud sleds.. even when stock[/b]

bsflag Not sure about the '98's but my cousins '99 ZL 500 is WAY quieter than most sleds I have heard!
[/b][/quote]

My '98 is pretty loud, a lot louder then my friends 2000 ZL 500... I can here my sled through my helmet, it's like a don't even have a helmet on haha

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Maybe your exhaust gaskets need replaced..... my 99' 500 was quieter once I replaced the wornout gaskets.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The 98 ZL 500 I had was obnoxious. I had to wear earplugs. Most of the noise on mine was from the airbox - carb. intake noise was awful. My ears would ring for hours after I got off that sled. Ear plugs all the time, much more comfortable and no ear ringing. Peace,beeler

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (beeler @ Dec 24 2009, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The 98 ZL 500 I had was obnoxious. I had to wear earplugs. Most of the noise on mine was from the airbox - carb. intake noise was awful. My ears would ring for hours after I got off that sled. Ear plugs all the time, much more comfortable and no ear ringing. Peace,beeler[/b]
Mine noise isn't coming from the air box, it's coming from the pipe... The intake is pretty quiet on mine.... My helmet blocks sounds pretty good but the noise from this thing cuts right through it, but hey I like it loud lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts