Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At approximately 430 miles my '07 F8 lost all electronics (gauges, headlights, taillight, brake light, gauges, hand warmers, face shield warmer), but for electric start. Additionally, the engine went into failsafe mode with loss of top end power. The machine would start (with electric or pull start) and run (very rich) with a top speed of 35-40. I limped back to the hotel just after dark, NOT COOL! Still awaiting feedback from the dealer. They and A/C seem to be confused by the loss of electronics and engine power. We tore the machine down on the trail and traced all wiring for loose or fraying. All looked good including fuses. Anybody heard of such a gremlin??? bang your head

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Marauder @ Jan 24 2007, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
At approximately 430 miles my '07 F8 lost all electronics (gauges, headlights, taillight, brake light, gauges, hand warmers, face shield warmer), but for electric start. Additionally, the engine went into failsafe mode with loss of top end power. The machine would start (with electric or pull start) and run (very rich) with a top speed of 35-40. I limped back to the hotel just after dark, NOT COOL! Still awaiting feedback from the dealer. They and A/C seem to be confused by the loss of electronics and engine power. We tore the machine down on the trail and traced all wiring for loose or fraying. All looked good including fuses. Anybody heard of such a gremlin??? bang your head[/b]

The dealer just called and stated that the fix is to replace the CCU (chassis control unit). Not sure why this controls ALL of the electronics? Seems like a safety issue with the loss of lighting, so I hope this is not a habitual issue. The sled is fixed, so should I complain?

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
I was under the impression that the CCU only controlled the speedo gauge, hand/thumb warmer controls, and reverse mechanism. I didn't know it controlled the headlights or any form of engine control? I know a lot of us F-series owners are seeing problems with our speedometers blanking out intermittently and/or when going from low beams to high beams. Speaking with my dealer yesterday, he said he called up to Cat and the words they told him were "Yep, we're aware of it ... stay tuned for more details."

If you got a new CCU, that's great. The thing that worries me is how fast that thing will go on back order if it truly is the fix ... since it will be recommended for so many sleds.

Good luck with yours - I hope it works out for you :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
MARAUDER,
MY SLED HAD SOME OF THE SAME PROBLEMS AS YOU DESCRIBED. I WAS IN THE UP MI. TWO WEEKS AGO AND MY NEW F8 BEGAN TO ACT UP AFTER 200 MI. FIRST LOSS OF POWER THEN JUST DIED. THE NEXT MORNING IN THE LIGHT I REMOVED THE HEADLIGHT POD, LOOKED OVER EVERYTHING...MOVED WIRES AROUND, REPLACED THE POD AND IT STARTED...GOT BACK ON THE TRAIL AND AGAIN IT BACKFIRED AND DIED, I FELT IT HAD TO BE ELECTRICAL...I OPENED THE SIDE PANEL OVER THE BRAKE AND MOVED THE MAIN HARNESS GOING UP THE FRAME AND TRIED TO START IT AGAIN...IT STARTED SO I REMOVED THE HEADLIGHT POD AGAIN AND FOUND A BOLT PIERCING THE MAIN HARNESS UP TOP. I MOVED THE HARNESS AWAY AND THAT WAS IT...NO PROBLEM. HERE IS A PICTURE OF WHAT TO LOOK FOR. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Nice tip KENO ... something everyone having electrical problems should be looking at. Nice job :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts