Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are you guys getting all these great looking rear trunk replacements? I don't like the skinz one but I have seen others it there a different manufacturer?
Thanks Pete

·
Registered
63 Posts
As far as I know sled solutions makes the only kit for a trunk delete... I bought a piece of aluminum and my uncle and I made one in 2 hours Im just waiting on my snow flap and LED tail light to come from sled solutions and Ill be ready. Its way more cost effective, as long as you have access to a hand brake for bending sheet metal, a carbide tiped blade on a table saw, grinding wheel and band saw. The piece of alumium was $40, and another $90 for the flap and light, plus maybe $15 on misc. hardware like heat resistant plastic wire covering to run the wires for the light along near the heat exchanger and some nuts bolts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The skinz kit isnt all that bad, looks a lot like the one above... I had them help me install it bc I couldnt get mine to fit right. I had them custom cut the snow flap so it wasnt sooo long and excessive looking... Put the tail light under the seat and I thnk it looks pretty good for what it is. $300 might be a little excessive for what the material costs but all in all I like the way it turned out, plus all of the plastics fit right back over the top without having to remove anything but the tailight and snow flap.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts

Thanks, the only issue Ive run into so far is that I had to reroute the wires because I managed to rip them off the side of the tunnel. I may try to rivet them between the two heat exchangers this summer but for now they are running on top of the metal in some plastic wire loom from Napa. That and I think Im either really bad at riveting or just ride hard but alot of the rivets have fallen or vibrated out, gonna get some bolts with locking nylon nuts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tbss1121 @ Mar 3 2010, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The skinz kit isnt all that bad, looks a lot like the one above... I had them help me install it bc I couldnt get mine to fit right. I had them custom cut the snow flap so it wasnt sooo long and excessive looking... Put the tail light under the seat and I thnk it looks pretty good for what it is. $300 might be a little excessive for what the material costs but all in all I like the way it turned out, plus all of the plastics fit right back over the top without having to remove anything but the tailight and snow flap.[/b]

I put the smaller LED light on there because I was trying to keep the room open for carrying gear. I think I will cut the flap down tho, it gets caught in my track when I back up. I like the skinz kit too, just wanted to save the money for something else.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh yeah that is totally understandable, I would have made my own also if I had the resources to do so. For what they are giving you its way over priced but the end result is nice. I would like to swith to an LED tailight eventually too and mount it to the bottom side of the seat and get rid of the Skinz tailight bracket, that might help hide the underside of the seat and clean up the look of the tunnel. I actually thought yours was the skinz kit to be honest... it looks real nice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tbss1121 @ Mar 9 2010, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Oh yeah that is totally understandable, I would have made my own also if I had the resources to do so. For what they are giving you its way over priced but the end result is nice. I would like to swith to an LED tailight eventually too and mount it to the bottom side of the seat and get rid of the Skinz tailight bracket, that might help hide the underside of the seat and clean up the look of the tunnel. I actually thought yours was the skinz kit to be honest... it looks real nice.[/b]
Thanks... thats a good idea, mounting the tail light to the seat, I might look into that. I bet you could use some self tapping screws and mount it right to the plastic piece under the handle for the seat adjustment and mount the wires to the plastic under the seat and just leave a little extra wire so it can move with the seat for adjustment purposes.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
those things that I call tunnel flaps (where the tunnel stops and plastic starts) I have seen a few guys cut and bend them so the tunnel continues as one.. guy on HCS wants 500 for everything, I asked him just for his specs so I can do it myself but nothing back yet

·
Registered
63 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (07F6SP @ Mar 10 2010, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tbss1121 @ Mar 9 2010, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yeah that is totally understandable, I would have made my own also if I had the resources to do so. For what they are giving you its way over priced but the end result is nice. I would like to swith to an LED tailight eventually too and mount it to the bottom side of the seat and get rid of the Skinz tailight bracket, that might help hide the underside of the seat and clean up the look of the tunnel. I actually thought yours was the skinz kit to be honest... it looks real nice.[/b]
Thanks... thats a good idea, mounting the tail light to the seat, I might look into that. I bet you could use some self tapping screws and mount it right to the plastic piece under the handle for the seat adjustment and mount the wires to the plastic under the seat and just leave a little extra wire so it can move with the seat for adjustment purposes.
[/b][/quote]

Problem being you could hardly put anythiing on the tunnel without blocking the tail light. If you're doing this for cosmetics reasons, then no problem.
To me the whole purpose of taking the trunk off is for more/versatile cargo capacity. Some people don't like the looks of the trunk, which I don't mind at all. To me the bare tunnel looks uglier but I want to get rid of it because it's too restrictive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts