Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a phone conversation with the president of the A.W.S.C. on monday morning regarding some other sledding issues, and the subject of the 55 mph law came up. After a few minutes, it became apparent that the likelyhood of the law becoming permanent is more or less a given. He actually had a meeting set up for that afternoon with the DNR in Madison. Don't be surprised if within the next 2-3 seasons they make the 55 mph law valid 24hours. (just like N.Y.S.)

·
Registered
122 Posts
we have our county meeting tonight, so I'm sure I will hear the latest,, I can live with the 55 mph at night, after watching how we normally ride at night for that past 2 years, no problem keeping it under, once in a while a burp across the lake is fun, but I can do away with it at night, but during the day? I wouldn't mind it in the woods or trails either, but again an occasional burp on the lake or a fire road, I'm no racer and am riding with kids and hopefully teaching them to be respectful and responsible, I've slowed down more since being older and wiser I guess, and being more involved with the clubs and county level, but I'm more afraid of whats after that, a year afterwards 45 mph 24 hours per day and so on. and sometimes I hate to see thousands of sleds in northern Wisconsin on a weekend, but with stiffer laws, there will be less tourism dollars, less snowmobile money and a funnel down effect to less trail money. Hope it doesn't go 24 hours a day.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gruff @ Feb 7 2007, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
we have our county meeting tonight, so I'm sure I will hear the latest,, I can live with the 55 mph at night, after watching how we normally ride at night for that past 2 years, no problem keeping it under, once in a while a burp across the lake is fun, but I can do away with it at night, but during the day? I wouldn't mind it in the woods or trails either, but again an occasional burp on the lake or a fire road, I'm no racer and am riding with kids and hopefully teaching them to be respectful and responsible, I've slowed down more since being older and wiser I guess, and being more involved with the clubs and county level, but I'm more afraid of whats after that, a year afterwards 45 mph 24 hours per day and so on. and sometimes I hate to see thousands of sleds in northern Wisconsin on a weekend, but with stiffer laws, there will be less tourism dollars, less snowmobile money and a funnel down effect to less trail money. Hope it doesn't go 24 hours a day.[/b]
Very well said ... I agree 100%. The night time speed limit is a no brainer IMO ... just try riding on Lake Namakagon some Friday or Saturday night and see some of the people out there (not obeying the speed limit). There's no question accidents are bound to happen in an environment like that.

I wish they could put it to a vote, but I know it doesn't work that way. Regardless, I would vote to keep it just like it is now ... no limit during the day, and 55mph at night.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, that was talked about by some at the Stevens Point meeting this fall. I think most people in our club expect it in two years. I would just hope they exempt the lakes from a daytime speed limit.

I don't mind the WI speed limit law the way it is. As it is I rarely go over that at night anyway unless I was on a lake. However, if they do apply the WI law to 24hrs it won't hurt sales and tourism that much.

Minnesota has a law where its 50 mph on any public lands or waters. A county may enact a daytime 65 mph speed limits for marked trails on lakes that are over 10k acres. I grew up in Minnesota (and still ride there) and I have yet to see many people obeying the law. Everyone pretty much rides the way they did in years past (except this year there is no snow).

Just my opinion...the only thing this law will do is give the dnr/sherriff the power to cite you for another infraction if you biff your machine and the state will make a few more bucks.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The clubs and state association support the 55mph night time limit for a reason. It makes sense. IMO there is no way a 55 mph daytime limit would pass. There is no way no how that the clubs or state reps would support that. If they do you will find me as a state rep or more in short order.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree with most, 55 at night I can live with. 55 during the day is NOT GOOD....people need to use their own judgement on what is safe. Just another way for them to write you a ticket.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Really there are so many more Accidents at night than their are at day, I mean because everything seems to be going faster at night, and by the time you in the hole, your done. Ive had about 2 or 3 people killed up here and my uncle used to work for the sheriff and said he hadnt seen any worse crashes on snowmobiles, people being decapitated from fences and the list rolls on, you also should know the area before you ride!! I always go around my friends quad around the area!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts