Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 07 500 Auto seems like it is having a hard time taking off with out having to give more throttle than I think I would need to. So far I have taken the transmission cover off and inspected the belt. It looks fine to me with only 400 miles on the clock. the movable discs are shiny and very smooth. Should they be slightly rough so the belt doesn't slip? ALSO, I have not been paying attention to the oil that I have been putting in so it could be the wet clutch slipping??? I just drained all the oil and am about to pull the clutch cover to inspect the shoes. Now that the belt cover is off, I was able to grab the primary (Front) belt plates and I am able to turn it both ways. Counterclockwise is smooth but clockwise can be turns but it grabs and slips the whole time while turning it. I know that the one-way bearing should not be able to turn both ways so I will be replacing that anyway. What is the purpose of the one way bearing and what does it hurt to have it fail?
Thanks for reading and for any info that helps me correct the issues at hand.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My first guess would be a bad wet clutch, especially if you're not sure what type of oil is in it. Be sure when you put it back together to use wet clutch rated oil. JASO-MA rating I believe. As for the clutch faces, it never hurts to scuff them up with some scotch brite. As far as I'm aware, it won't hurt anything if your one way fails, but you will lose engine braking. For sure you want to replace it though, instead of leaving it bad, because it may or may not ruin something else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the clutch cover off and the clutch shoes are definitely worn. One end of each shoe is worn flat. I will need to replace them. Also, the drum has wear grooves in it. they aren't super deep but it feels wavy when I rub my finger across the inside of the drum. I am hoping I can get away without replacing it. What do ya'll think? The one way bering is easy to spin in both directions with the drum off. the bearing surfaces on both the clutch and the drum feel smooth and undamaged. If I can get a bearing for cheap, I will replace it. Otherwise, I will leave it off.

Who knows of a place where I can get replacement shoes, bearing and new gasket for the clutch cover?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or are there other models or years that use the same clutch pack. Can find replacement clutch pack for a 2010 and up for 60$ the same clutch for my 07 is 250 to 300.

·
Administrator
37,127 Posts
This is what fits

You can get the drum turned at a machine shop.

·
Administrator
37,127 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts