Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 1M 800 159" and I rode it in the mountains once last year with the clutching set up right out of the book for the elevation and it was terrible. (It wouldn't back shift) I have since upgraded the secondary spring to a purple Erlandson. I also have a green sno pro spring I could run. I have bought a few helixes off ebay but I am unsure of what to try first. I have a straight 49, a 53, a 55 and a 57/50. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That's strange. Other than a primary wieght change (dealer set up for too low alt) I was good out of the box. and that's typical for the 1Ms. You might check for something wrong before spending too much on changing the values. I take it you've read over the manual for anything obvious, like the belt riding too high or low, etc.?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have rode a 2001, 2003 and currently have a 2004. In all instances with the proper gear ratio installed I used a 62 gram weight and stock primary spring. In the secondary for the 2001 I used 51 helix with stock spring set in hole # 4. In the 2003 and 2004 I use a 53 helix with the stock spring set in hole # 4.

It should back shift in any instance unless you have a dirty secondary or too much deflection in the belt. Make sure you have the right belt with at leasty 1/8 inch above the sheaves. If you have the correct belt you may have to remove shims in the secondary to get the correct deflection.

Sometimes we overlook the obvious and miss abroken spring or one not wound correctly.

Also check the gear ratio.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts