Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 AC 500 auto and I'm looking for some guidance for selecting a tough durable long lasting atv tire. I don't get into too much mud or rock. I ride mostly on hard packed gravel roads/trails, rough paths through the bush covered with forest debris such as leaves, branches, moss, and downed trees. Any suggestions for a good tire for the above application?

Thank you and a happy and safe new year to all of you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Bighorns

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Look at the mudlight XTR's.

WC

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
26" big horns :D

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gwc @ Dec 31 2006, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
26" big horns :D[/b]
Why 26"? What's wrong with 25" tires? Also, if I oversize the tires will it not have an effect on the geometry of the machine thus potentially causing component failures such as CV joints and axles? In addition to that, would the bigger tires not cause reduced acceleration? I'm not a "mudder". When you're 25 to 30 miles back in the bush, and the bush is 60 miles from civilization, one tends to avoid problem areas rather than seeking them out. In my area, we use our ATVs for transportation (likely the original purpose of the machine.) Hopping them up to blast through mud holes is the furthest thing from my needs. Accordingly, rugged long lasting, puncture resistant tires are desired. That's what I'm looking for.

Happy new year to all and thanks for any forthcoming and received recommendations.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Blackwater tires are pretty tough, ran them on my 2000 500 never had a flat, I'm thinking of running them on my H1 as
the stock tires are constantly going flat. Blackwaters run a little stiffer, new ones out are rated 6 ply pretty tuff tire

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
nothing wrong with 25 inch bighorns, if i was to do it again i would probably get the 25 inch vs the 26 i currently have on my 650 v2 just to save a bit of weight. great overall tire, some might say that they suck in the mud but i too was looking for a good reiable trail tire and love these. they WILL work in the mud just differently than a so called mud tire would. radial 6 ply construction have excellent ride mannors yet very durable (no flats at all for me). there is a bit cheaper version out there or knockoffs if you will but i believe that those are bias-ply compound tires.
cheapest i found mine were: http://www.rockymountainatv.com but that was in the 26 inch size, a few weeks ago i was helping another member (massmark) look up the cheapest prices with shipping for 25 inchers and they were still the cheapest that i could find.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Barkpeeler @ Jan 1 2007, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Blackwater tires are pretty tough, ran them on my 2000 500 never had a flat, I'm thinking of running them on my H1 as
the stock tires are constantly going flat. Blackwaters run a little stiffer, new ones out are rated 6 ply pretty tuff tire[/b]
Thanks for the reply.

Who makes Blackwater tires?

I don't know if motorcycle tires have any commonality with ATV tires but I know that the stock Dunlops on my KLR were shot at 3000 miles. I put on Kenda K270s and they're wearing extremely well. I'd estimate that they might be good for 12000 miles plus. Has anyone had any exposure to Kenda ATV tires and if so, how do they hold up?

Attachments

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Catmandooo @ Jan 1 2007, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Check this site http://www.atvoutfitters.net/maxxis_bighorn_tires.htm shipped to my house 4 25's for $363. Kevin I hate reading how good these tires are and how good they look on your 650v2 as I want these desperately but don't have the cash to blow, along with my goodyears are still in perfect shape. Every time I read how much you like these I get sick as they look awesome.[/b]

Love-struck over a freaking set of ATV tires? You must be in a bad way. It's only rubber buddy.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I just purchased 2 weeks ago 25in bighorns for my outlander and I got them at bikebandit.com for $337 shipped. There a great trail and hard pack, rock tire, not so good in the mud compared to the mudlight XTR's. Plus side is the 25in bighorns measure same heighth as the 26in mudlight xtr's. I wouldnt get 26in bh unless you have a big bore to turn them. there real heavy.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check this site http://www.atvoutfitters.net/maxxis_bighorn_tires.htm shipped to my house 4 25's for $363. Kevin I hate reading how good these tires are and how good they look on your 650v2 as I want these desperately but don't have the cash to blow, along with my goodyears are still in perfect shape. Every time I read how much you like these I get sick as they look awesome.

/quote]

By the way, thanks for the link.

I checked out one place in Halifax Nova Scotia that handles the Big Horns, All Terraine Charley's Inc. Those freaking gougers are charging $150.00 U.S. for one 25x8x12. Got to be a lot of stupid people in the world to support highway robbers like that.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (downndirty @ Jan 1 2007, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
check out kenda bearclaws or gbc dirt devils. I've had them both, tough as nails and relatively inexpensive.[/b]
How do they ride/handle. Any improvement over stock AC 500 tires? I checked the prices at All Terraine Charley's vs. ATV Outfitters. The Nova Scotia gouger is double every time. Unreal???

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Borat @ Jan 1 2007, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gwc @ Dec 31 2006, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
26" big horns :D[/b]
Why 26"? What's wrong with 25" tires? Also, if I oversize the tires will it not have an effect on the geometry of the machine thus potentially causing component failures such as CV joints and axles? In addition to that, would the bigger tires not cause reduced acceleration? I'm not a "mudder". When you're 25 to 30 miles back in the bush, and the bush is 60 miles from civilization, one tends to avoid problem areas rather than seeking them out. In my area, we use our ATVs for transportation (likely the original purpose of the machine.) Hopping them up to blast through mud holes is the furthest thing from my needs. Accordingly, rugged long lasting, puncture resistant tires are desired. That's what I'm looking for.

Happy new year to all and thanks for any forthcoming and received recommendations.
[/b][/quote]

DAMM man i was giveing my opinon (you did ask) i dont like small tires,also if i was offering a tire for a "mudder" i would of not listed bighorns.. :devil_angry: You bike should be able to handle a 1" increase in tires size with out it breaking to little peices..

" In my area we use our ATVs for transportation (likely the original purpose of the machine)" WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE A SMARTASS i was just offering my opinion never said you should put 29s on it or nothing,or blast through any mud holes...
man

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Borat @ Jan 1 2007, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (downndirty @ Jan 1 2007, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
check out kenda bearclaws or gbc dirt devils. I've had them both, tough as nails and relatively inexpensive.[/b]
How do they ride/handle. Any improvement over stock AC 500 tires? I checked the prices at All Terraine Charley's vs. ATV Outfitters. The Nova Scotia gouger is double every time. Unreal???

Thanks.
[/b][/quote]

downndirty I was thinking of the exact same tires as you listed. For just all around trail riding IMO you cant beat the bearclaws or dirtdevils and like you said they sell cheaper then other tires.
The handling will be much firmer and better then the stockers that come on the 500 but the ride is a little rougher do to the stiffer sidewalls. Riding on open logging roads both tires handle very well with no nervos feeling and run smooth to boot :thumbsup:
For mud performance they will be superior compared to the stock tires but they are not a mud tire, in the thick stuff they dont clean out. Another great thing is that they wear extremly well and will give you many many miles and I've yet to get a flat in my bearclaws.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Borat,

anything is going to be an improvement over stock tires. with the bearclaw/dirt devil, they are much stiffer, less body roll, but a little harsher feel over bumps. on hardpack they ride smooth. the sidewall lugs are bigger on the bearclaws than on the dirt devils. the bearclaws seemed to have a better bead protection. hope this helps.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GoFastCat @ Jan 1 2007, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Borat @ Jan 1 2007, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (downndirty @ Jan 1 2007, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks.
[/b][/quote]

downndirty I was thinking of the exact same tires as you listed. For just all around trail riding IMO you cant beat the bearclaws or dirtdevils and like you said they sell cheaper then other tires.
The handling will be much firmer and better then the stockers that come on the 500 but the ride is a little rougher do to the stiffer sidewalls. Riding on open logging roads both tires handle very well with no nervos feeling and run smooth to boot :thumbsup:
For mud performance they will be superior compared to the stock tires but they are not a mud tire, in the thick stuff they dont clean out. Another great thing is that they wear extremly well and will give you many many miles and I've yet to get a flat in my bearclaws.
[/b][/quote]

Now that's the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you. I'll keep your recommendation in mind when it's time to change tires.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts