Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS and I was looking for exhaust, specifically HMF exhaust and was wondering if anyone has this brand exhaust and could tell me how they like it

Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
I don't think HMF makes one for the 400 but they make them for the 700 and 1000 and I heard they leak. Speedwerx and Supertrapp makes one though. I prefer the Speedwerx one or mod you stock exhaust like did on my 400 auto.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I don't think HMF makes one for the 400 but they make them for the 700 and 1000 and I heard they leak. Speedwerx and Supertrapp makes one though. I prefer the Speedwerx one or mod you stock exhaust like did on my 400 auto.

#011213606071 is the part number for a HMF pipe for a 2006 400 and it is not going to leak any quicker then any other pipe on the market.

How do you mod your stock exhaust?
Link:
http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/utility-performance-technical-info/297017-exhaust-mod-today.html

·
Registered
391 Posts
So your saying all of them leak? I just heard the fit on the hmf wasn't that great on Cats take in mine this is just hear say. Both my exhaust are modded I wouldn't know.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
So your saying all of them leak? I just heard the fit on the hmf wasn't that great on Cats take in mine this is just hear say. Both my exhaust are modded I wouldn't know.

No that's not what I'm saying, what I said was "it is not going to leak any quicker then any other pipe on the market" meaning that if it's installed right you will not have any leaks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ok I got ya. Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear lol! Soon or later I'm gonna hit you up for some of your A arm bushings!

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
Mufflers that add sound and no performance aren't up my alley.
Is there any on the market that claim they add significant power or even noticable power?
the stock muffler mod can also be loud, but the way I do them is the added outlet is a series of 1/16ths holes on the bottom of the muffler right under the stock outlet. About 20 to 25 tiny holes and it lets out quite a bit of extra exhaust. It added a very small amount of 'extra noise" that can only be heard when the quad is nailed WOT. My quads are all efi machines so if I added too many holes, I'd have to get a new programmer.
With carbed quads, a dyno jet kit helps and you can really mod the stock muffler even more.
If the aftermarket exhaust mufflers claim that no jetting or a programmer is required, then IMO they really arent adding anything but sound.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The stock muffler mod is the best way to go IMO. You can tell a difference in low end power and its cheaper. And its not super loud.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mufflers that add sound and no performance aren't up my alley.
Is there any on the market that claim they add significant power or even noticable power?
the stock muffler mod can also be loud, but the way I do them is the added outlet is a series of 1/16ths holes on the bottom of the muffler right under the stock outlet. About 20 to 25 tiny holes and it lets out quite a bit of extra exhaust. It added a very small amount of 'extra noise" that can only be heard when the quad is nailed WOT. My quads are all efi machines so if I added too many holes, I'd have to get a new programmer.
With carbed quads, a dyno jet kit helps and you can really mod the stock muffler even more.
If the aftermarket exhaust mufflers claim that no jetting or a programmer is required, then IMO they really arent adding anything but sound.
X2 on that! I have a question , I am considering the S.E.M. BUT if all you get is noise and a bit of power.....its not 4 me!! If there is a power gain what should I expect?Cat happy

·
Administrator
38,873 Posts
Unless you have a dyno you will never be able to tell. I actually think the aftermarket companies don't do any testing. How can one pipe fit everything from a 400 to a 1000 cc engine and give equal performance gains? You will get just as much seat of the pants gains with the s.e.m as any aftermarket pipe. Ask them if you can see the actual dyno results showing a gain in torque like they claim. A lot of the aftermarket pipes also need repacking which is a pain especially if you like water lol

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a modded muffler, that I built, that I'm not using if anyone is interested. Just PM me.

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
I bought a lightly used 07 700 muffler in late 07 to mod the crap out of it. then I found out that I would need programmer if I modded it the way I wanted to.
Sold the muffler last fall.

·
Registered
312 Posts
IF I do do the S.E.M. if I understand correctly I may or may not need say a PCV. If I do , is the PCV just plug and play or is it more complicated??? (I will probably need one since I might let "her" breath better via a snork-job and install a better flowing filter)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts