Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TSS wiring shorted out leaving me about 7 miles from my truck.
With all my neon lol , Cat suit on and helmet I looked like Dion Sanders
As I hitch hiked...( pre covid)
Everybody blew right past me.
Finally a guy with a NRA hat picked me up all he wanted to know was " did I see any Coyotes while I was out there" ahhh no

·
Super Moderator
9,018 Posts
Bummer deal, but the story ended up pretty good.
I get nervous riding alone. The tow strap doesn't work as well. ;) All kidding aside, I've been through quite a few tows, but I haven't had to walk one out too far. The last hitch hike was similar. Not many takers, but someone eventually stopped. The truck was a real rust bucket and a couple dogs crawling all over the cab. Super friendly driver that wanted to keep right on talking. I did the nice thing and listened for awhile. He would not take cash for the ride, so went in and got some cuts out of the freezer.
I've rode with the same gang for years and we have the tow process down to a science. It's kinda sad. I can think of other things in life I'd like to be good at doing.
Longest tow with a sled must have been about 41 miles. It went down in a terrible spot. Had one two years ago that was 28 miles. Those were both in blinding snow storms. I rode the junker both times to steer and brake. Talk about a good way to test riding gear. Also spent eight hours in the woods a few years ago.(Cold night!) That was a little scary with no phone contact or any way to know if my help was coming. I knew that he was stretching his fuel just to get out.

·
Registered
2012 TBX 700 / 2016 TBX 700 / 2010 TRV 550
6 Posts
In recent years... (recent years meaning being on the smarter side of 25 🤠).... i haven’t had much, if any walking. Luck or wisdom? Time will tell.
One memorable occasion however, maybe mid-March 2017 to close the end of snowmobiling season I took my ex to the UP. We stayed just out side of Calumet at Trailside. Pretty sure we were the ONLY ones there. It was Sunday, travel home day with some real nasty freezing rain falling. Getting that ever-so-precious ‘last ride’ in wasn’t a hard call even considering the weather (or snowless trails leading up the peninsula). We had 1 mission, make a quick run for breakfast, stop for a bloody, and do not load until a minimum of 100 additional miles were added to the already decent season total.

We busted the ice coating covering the truck (gear was locked inside) and pre-heated machines. Off we went heading for Slims Cafe. We were met with baffling looks of awkwardness upon entering...I’m sure all the locals ended their season a month ago! We ordered, ate, settled our debts, and it was off like a rocket to nowhere other than Gay, MI for a Bloody Mary. Braaap!!

We were greeted with the same unwelcoming glances upon entering the towns namesake bar. There was a bartender and 3 locals across the bar as we pitched our helmets down. In an effort to ease the tension, I broke the awkward silence, “how much mud do we have on us”. Well it worked, we were immediately welcomed with laughter as well as being the brunt of a few ‘non-resident, late season snowmobiler’ jokes. It was alright though as we seemed to fare well with the local. One of the older fellows gave us his number and demanded our return in summer for some guided fishing or next winter for some boondocking adventures only the locals know about.

When the cheers finally ended we parted way. The plan was to run a quick loop, pass back through Gay, and back to Trailside to load and go. Time wasn’t on our side, although the freezing rain was easing and the roads were improving.

After our loop and after having passed back through Gay, we were on the home stretch. We had good tight trails and riding hard. A ways up the trail I noticed some non-sledders on the sled trail and signaled to the trailing rider I was slowing. The two people in the trail were cross country skiing and politely we slowed down and gave a friendly waive. Once around the next bend.....Braap. We crossed a road about 6 miles later (maybe more, it was a blur). I noticed a Subaru parked at the crossing and the light popped on, that was the skiers car parked there. We crossed the road and get back on it! Home stretch for sure, I remember thinking. Braaaap.

About 4 miles after the road crossing, the disappointing sound of scattering metal coming out of corner was as unwelcome as anything. Idle down, flash brake light, and pull to the side (we’ve all been there). As I shut the sled down I was met with the dismay of that pleasant odor - gear lube! A quick trail side assessment was something scattered in the gear box and blew out the bottom, however, the chain and gears still intact. We hadn’t many options and for the first time ever, loved the idea of cross country skiers sharing our trails. Back to the road crossing to plead for a ride!!! Braaap. (While we weren’t ‘race ready’, we also weren’t inoperable)

The 2 gentlemen were very stand off ish at first. Then the driver said, well you were respectful and slowed down passing us, hope in. While the sexuality of the two men will forever be questioned in my mind, they DID get me back to my truck in Calumet, as awkward of a ride as it was.

The moral of the story, I’d take the coyote hunter anytime!!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My last trip the the UP in February of 2019 I lost a jack shaft heading east on 89 (H58) near Grand Sable Lake on the way to Grand Marais. We got the sled to the nearest plowed road and I was left at The Dunes/Lake Superior Brewing in GM to wait for my ride. We had another sled dead over by Shingleton so it was going to be a while. I really enjoyed the craft beer, but I was there from 3 pm to like 10 pm before my rescue truck showed up and well, did I mention I really enjoyed the craft beer? That was fun but I would have rather rode my sled.

I rode the back up sled the rest of the week until it died just above St. Ignace. This time I got towed to Trout Lake and again, left where cold beer was easily available, another late night rescue truck ride. I almost bought a ski doo that week, almost.

I remember my late Uncle telling me that he saw a cautionary statement in an old piece of Artic Cat sales lit. that said you can ride farther in 5 minutes than you an walk in 8 hours. Very true.

·
Super Moderator
9,018 Posts
Did a 15 miler last Thursday. Thank God the temps had warmed up by then. Nice thing about the earlier cold was the great trail conditions. Flat and smooth from plenty of grooming and light traffic It turned out to be an easy tow with 40mph straights. Put a big guy on the tow sled so we could drag the flap. Works great for cooling and keeping snow off the towed rig.

Reactions: 5th_Comeback

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The Renegade Enduro 1200 that towed me both times never broke a sweat or over heated. That is a whole other topic though.

Great tip on the flap though, that would sure make a difference. Looking like rain and 50 degrees here tomorrow, I might be done except for back yard riding, local trails won't take much heat and rain to well. The good news is my sled never needed a tow this season!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts