Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you use and how do you do it? LOCKING YOUR ATV IN THE BACK OF YOUR TRUCK?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
dont lock it up on the trailer, but at home in the garage, i use a cable lock, and lock it to my riding lawnmower, and it also has an Alarm on it.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
If I have to leave mine in the back of the truck all night, I back up to the side of the house and get it close enough that if they wanted it they'd have to steal the whole truck or lift an 800 lb quad over the side before the dogs woke me up. thumbguy
JD

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
im with kancoyote i hate leaving it in the back of my truck but sometimes its easier to take just the atv and not my enclosed trailer

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kancoyote @ Mar 20 2007, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If I have to leave mine in the back of the truck all night, I back up to the side of the house and get it close enough that if they wanted it they'd have to steal the whole truck or lift an 800 lb quad over the side before the dogs woke me up. thumbguy
JD[/b]

That is a pretty good way to lock it up!

I have used my winch cable to run through the frame and tires. I put a lock on and then tighened the cable down. Now that I have the synthetic line, thats not really an option though.

I think the best approach is to make it hard for anyone to steal it, even if it takes a little effort on your part. Back your truck or trailer up to a tree or light post. Criminals hate light. Get some steel chokers and lock it to the trailer. If it looks like it will take a few minutes, it may deter them.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
When I first moved down here to NC, I was living in a hotel for three months, didn't have my V2 with me until the last month. During that month when it wasn't stored at a friends house I did as others, backed my truck up to the hotel wall and locked and chained it in several places. it would take some serious sized cajones all the way around to get the machine over the sides of the truck. Now here at my house, a gun, a dog, cable locks, and a seriously protective 280 lb owner slaphappy

·
Registered
782 Posts
this is what i use made mine a few years back, now someone is selling them, guess i missed the boat http://www.laguarddog.com/ all our bikes need is the square tubing on both ends

·
Registered
33 Posts
i like the backing up to the tree idea....never thought of that really....if you cant get it off by backing it off...you gonna dead lift it? I think not.....secondary plan is the Sig 40 or My Work Partner....an extremely aggressive German Sheppard "Dozer" with a bad criminal biting complex. Most people tell them to attack and train to bite arms, legs...nope....mines trained to go right for the Nuts......Not too many people want to fight anymore....its usually a lot of pleading.......

·
Registered
454 Posts
I wonder how tall those things go. I have a big lift and wonder if it would raise that high?

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I'm looking into getting one of those hitch parts that connect the receiver on the ATV to the receiver on the truck. Then I could just put a locking pin in each and be good. My H1 won't fit in the bed of the truck with the tailgate down I don't think...we'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I live in the country so I just pull the keys and leave it sit outside the door with the 2 dogs to watch it, no one is going to lift it by hand to load it I can say that, unless they are built like the Hulk. I have a Cable I use when out riding and stopping at places where you can't see it from a window. Thankfully I live in a kind of crime free area, when all us home owners have loaded guns in the house no one dares to rip us off, they may get shot !!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Todd Pete its just 2" square tubing and drill or blow holes for a locking pin get the dimensions for your bike i am sure any welding shop can do it for ya for next to nothing

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I lock my three atvs togehter in the garage with a massive chain a couple of master locks the lock it to the trailer. I use the same chain when traveling to lock the quads to the trailer. Of coarse the trailer is locked to the hitch and the hitch locked to the truck and the hitch ball welded on to the hitch. I set my alarm on my truck real sensitive so any small weight shift on the trailer sets the alarm off on the truck. Always park in well lighted areas and if possible like said before backup to a wall. My CCW with a 45 is my last line of defense and their last warning!

"Thankfully I live in a kind of crime free area, when all us home owners have loaded guns in the house no one dares to rip us off, they may get shot !!! "

Thats why its crime free!

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I might buy it, or have someone make it for me. WE'll see. Cabelas has them for $130 right now and I have points I can use towards that. We'll see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts