Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here's the problem...I've had my 06 - H1 into the dealer 4 times for the locker not engaging. They adjusted the cable and it's still not working. They've tried to get the machine to re-create the problem, but have been unsuccessful up to this point.

I phoned the dealer when I was in the woods today and asked them if I was to put one tire on a dead tree and give it a bit of gas, should either tire spin...the micnic told me nope. And of course one wheel was spinning (the one with the least traction) and the one up against the tree was stationary.

The set up of the locker is a sleeve style set up. One goes over the other about 1/4" and locks it together.

What do you guys think the problem may be. Stripped splines? Buggered cable? Dealer ain't figgered it out yet. I dunno I dunno

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BOWZONE @ Mar 10 2007, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So, here's the problem...I've had my 06 - H1 into the dealer 4 times for the locker not engaging. They adjusted the cable and it's still not working. They've tried to get the machine to re-create the problem, but have been unsuccessful up to this point.

I phoned the dealer when I was in the woods today and asked them if I was to put one tire on a dead tree and give it a bit of gas, should either tire spin...the micnic told me nope. And of course one wheel was spinning (the one with the least traction) and the one up against the tree was stationary.

The set up of the locker is a sleeve style set up. One goes over the other about 1/4" and locks it together.

What do you guys think the problem may be. Stripped splines? Buggered cable? Dealer ain't figgered it out yet. I dunno I dunno[/b]

Maybe it is just cold, I know mine does it when it is really cold out and driving through the snow. Not real happy about that, but I deal with it.

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts
i had to enagage my locker three times today and found that if i gave it a lil gas and rocked moveed the handle bars back and forth it would engage faster

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The locker works when you engage it, and turn the wheels one way or the other. Try it, i had this problem, and my dealer said its the nature of the beast. If you engage it, and go in a straight line, it wont engage. Now engage it, get rolling and turn the wheel one way or the other.,

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
bow mine is in for a similar issue. i was riding through some broken ice and mud mix and i locked the locker and i noticed only one wheel spinning and i was having issues with my locker not engaging as well and it was adjusted etc. and i know your supposed to turn side to side to get it to engage but that wasnt working. and then i bot a loud banging noise from the front end its been at the dealer for 2 weeks now they cant figure it out. they wanted me to come up to make it make the noise but when i went up there the kid wouldnt come out to see because it was raining..i was pi$$ed nd i called the other day and they still havent figured it out. the dealer is usually very good there a bit slow in there repair time but still they always do the job. and there very good with customers and backing up there products. but your not alone im dealing with what seems like the same issue. ill let you know if they come across anything and please do the same so i can get my machine back within the month lol good luck

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (modn @ Mar 10 2007, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Maybe it is just cold, I know mine does it when it is really cold out and driving through the snow. Not real happy about that, but I deal with it.[/b]
+10 Celsius yesterday. Wish it was the cold...Thanks though :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (V2RIDER @ Mar 10 2007, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The locker works when you engage it, and turn the wheels one way or the other. Try it, i had this problem, and my dealer said its the nature of the beast. If you engage it, and go in a straight line, it wont engage. Now engage it, get rolling and turn the wheel one way or the other.,[/b]
In speaking with the mechanic, arctic cat and using the locker many times before, your dealer is telling you something that is incorrect.

The locker has and will engage when you're going in a straight line...as a matter of fact...the locker will engage with as little as 1/2" to 1" of movement, whether it's straight on or side to side. He may be talking about another model than the H1.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rango726 @ Mar 11 2007, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
bow mine is in for a similar issue. i was riding through some broken ice and mud mix and i locked the locker and i noticed only one wheel spinning and i was having issues with my locker not engaging as well and it was adjusted etc. and i know your supposed to turn side to side to get it to engage but that wasnt working. and then i bot a loud banging noise from the front end its been at the dealer for 2 weeks now they cant figure it out. they wanted me to come up to make it make the noise but when i went up there the kid wouldnt come out to see because it was raining..i was pi$$ed nd i called the other day and they still havent figured it out. the dealer is usually very good there a bit slow in there repair time but still they always do the job. and there very good with customers and backing up there products. but your not alone im dealing with what seems like the same issue. ill let you know if they come across anything and please do the same so i can get my machine back within the month lol good luck[/b]
Good luck to you too rango. My dealer couldn't get it to re-create the problem either...so I'll do it when I drop it off. I'm just going to drive it up on something that makes one tire grip and the other free wheel...maybe the dealership! LOL!

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
My V2 was like that, and my H1 is like that as well. I can go in a straight line and it won't do a thing, but if I'm at a standstill and turn my handlebars back and forth, it'll engage. odd.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I wonder if it is a problem with the cableing system on the locker.A twist of the handle bars might give a little extra pull on the locking pinor something like that.Maybe theres to much pressure on the pin to slide correctly.Just some wild idea's.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
No, thats the way it is made to work.

·
Registered
330 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Mar 11 2007, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My V2 was like that, and my H1 is like that as well. I can go in a straight line and it won't do a thing, but if I'm at a standstill and turn my handlebars back and forth, it'll engage. odd.[/b]
My H1 does it as well. I can get it to lock while driving straight but I usually have to drive like 15 feet or more. If I am at a dead stop all I have to do is turn the handlebars back and forth once or twice and it will engage everytime.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (V2RIDER @ Mar 12 2007, 05:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No, thats the way it is made to work.[/b]
ok...I was told that having to do that was due to the cable not being adjusted properly. I don't know who's dealer is right...but worth looking into.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got a phone call on Friday letting me know that my quad is now fixed. Apparently the collar wasn't engaging or something like that.
I'll post up once I find out what was wrong and let you all know what was done to fix it.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.