Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sled:

1m cat with 156x2.5 track running around 0-4000 feet. Engine is mad max perf 999 (basically a 1000 cutler) with jaws D pipes. Looking for 7900-8000 rpm.

Current setup:

80.5 grams supreme tool weights on a yellow/green spring.
48/44 helix with red/white secondary in tightest hole.

Sled shifts out pretty fast but the motor can pull it so acceleration is pretty good, but the secondary pulls the motor down to 7600rpms in the DEEP snow. When the sled gets on step and skims the surface the rpms come back up. So what I really need is the secondary clutch to backshift a little more, but only when the track is very loaded. According to my clutch book there are a couple of ways to do this:

1. Take a gram out of the tip (but wouldn't this change the entire shift characteristic?)
2. Swap to a 48/42 or even a 50/42 helix. (this should do what I want, but would like some feedback before I spend $50 to try it)
3. Put in a bigger primary spring with more rate. (the yellow green I'm running now is 114/267 so I was thinking about the slp 120/300)
4. Put the snow pro green spring in the secondary since it has a higher rate than the red/white.

I'm thinking the best solution would be to get a green secondary spring, but wanted some feedback before I start spending more money on clutch parts. I'm also thinking about a 57/50 helix with a big primary spring. Any thoughts?

schu

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome, Schu to the site and I'll comment on both your posts, here. Your handle caught my attention because my last name is Shoemaker.
As far as your suspension issue (if that's the correct word) I, myself, don't mind lifting of the front end, because I do more track steering in those extreme climbs. Having said that I don’t climber much; I'm more of a boondocker. When I went longer I decided to only go with the extension and NOT move the skid back. Having the older pitch I didn't believe that would be a problem, which (so far) proved correct. I can't say that for my 3" pitching buddies and just tonight reading and responding to the M8 rat. problem as well.

On the clutching I did nothing from stock as of now. I love the way it handles and climbs. I wish I could say the same for the rider/owner.
Getting old is no fun. One item I did change (just remembered) is going less on the primary weights. For years I ran in the middle of the powder band of 7350, and after a year of nagging (I hope you’re reading this Roy) one of my buddies convinced me to lighten up (pun intended) on my riding so I went down to 62 gram weights and I must admit it's almost like a new sled being things are moving faster and climbs better. The 7500 (actual) RPM is about the highest I wish to take it, since I'm a longevity guy. The reason I say aucual most of the tachs are off and if you care to check on that I have a procedure on my web site. http://www.ak2o.org

Keep us posted on what you come up with, please.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts