Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard people talking about their CAT going into "limp mode" a safty feature not to damage the bike when a belt fault occures. Is there a fix to this problem if I'm up at our hunt camp and mine goes in to a limp mode I will not be happy having to ride back at 8 MPH or so for 2 hours. I have a 06 650 twin

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
You have 2 options available: 1) buy from the dealer a plug which comes with a procedure to reset the condition or just short the 2 pins on this connector 2) buy the dynatek cdi which will eliminate limp mode altogether, it wakes up the 650v2 and gives alot more power and just runs better , its an awesome performance product that just plugs in.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The plug may already be tied under your seat. I think the newer ones come with them.

I printed a copy of the reset procedure and keep it with the plug in a ziplock bag.

It's pretty simple to do. But if you belt is toast it's not going to help you much if it keeps hitting the switch inside the cover. It's a good idea to have a spare and know how to change it on the trail.

I have never had a limp mode on my 04. I have had to do the maintenance light reset which occurs at about every 100hours or so. But this is not limp mode.

Make sure the belt is properly shimmed and you shouldn't really have any trouble.

Try a search for "belt reset" or similar. There are a few posts with the instructions on how to do this. Or check the manual listed in the other section. Or buy the Dyna and forget about it.

Later
Moslondrinkr

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Molson nailed it....make sure you're shimmed correctly and you should be good.

Also, did all years need the RF filter installed, or just 2004? Without that RF filter my 04 V2 tripped into limp mode all the time. Afterwards, I was good to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004 650 vtwin arctic cat and my bike has gone into limp mode. Can you tell me where I can purchase the rf filter or is it possible to get the part number so I can order it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cricket64

I have the same problems with my 2004 650 v-twin. I need help also. I bought my ATV new in 2004 and used it just for hunting. In 2012 we lost the land to hunt, so now I use it to plow snow and it does a great job. The only thing that I had to do to it was put a new choke cable on it. In 2014 while plowing snow the belt light started blinking. Had no idea what was wrong so I came in and got on the good old internet and looked it up. Yep you guessed it, the dreaded LIMP MODE! I took it to my cat dealer and told him to put a new belt on it and service it while it was there and what ever else it needed. When I picked it up the service guy that worked on it told me there was nothing wrong with my old belt and he put it back on. Brought it home and rode it around a few times to make sure it was ok and a few times in the summer with my great granddaughter on it with me. All was well. This winter on March 1 2015 we got about 7 to 9 inches of snow. I was out plowing for about 5 to 6 hours and it started missing and at first I thought I might have hit the choke lever. I looked at my gauges and the belt light was blinking again. I don't know but maybe the service guy should have put a new belt on it. The ATV has 212 hrs on it. I don't know if that is a lot of hours or not. Can anyone tell me if there is a permanent fix for this problem. I am 70 years old. I don't have time at my age to go through all that unplug this jump that turn key on turn key off. I just want to ride and die old on my CAT! Need help guys! Rockerdude You have time on your side all I have is memories!

·
Super Moderator
4,547 Posts
The aftermarket dynatek cdi for arctic cat 650v2 eliminates it: Adds a little power, eliminates belt light and reverse limiter. So be careful. It's available on Ebay.

You should thank your service guy for not selling you a belt you didn't need. When the day comes to replace it use the factory belt. It can be purchased at a Cat or Kawasaki dealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What is the difference

Can you tell me what the difference is in the way your atv acts when the switch is trip inside your belt case and when it is time for 100 hr. check up. Does the belt light blink in both and does it cut out and only runs about 7 to 10 miles an hr. in both. Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
FirecatV2
Can you tell me what the difference is in the way your ATV acts when the switch is trip inside your belt case and when it is time for 100 hr. check up. Does the belt light blink in both and does it cut out and only runs about 7 to 10 miles an hr. in both. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,547 Posts
I have had a dynatek cdi since day one so I don't know if it flashes or is solid.

When the light is on for maintaince, it doesn't have any effect on performance.

When it trips the switch on the belt cover, then you go into limp mode. (reduced power/speed)

I don't know anything about the RF filter problem issue.

Olderthandirt- Permenant fix? No a belt is a wear item like tires. They have a lifespan that depends on use/abuse/setup.
example: trail cruising is like highway miles = long life
plowing is like driving in rush hour all the time = shortens life
not having deflection set up properly is like tires being out of alignment = seriously shortens life.

FYI: make sure nothing is restricting air flow through the clutch vents. Heat will also kill a belt

I already mentioned using the factory belt, I also recommend only plowing in low range. It's easier on the belt. Why you may ask? In a mistake by arctic cat they used much higher gearing than kawasaki did/does for the same clutch set up. Therefore the 650v2 was a really fast 4wheeler in 04. Also they are harder on belts than a kawasaki prairie.

I think it's time for the dealer to look at the belt again. You could be having the RF issue or your belt is now due for replacement or ???

FYI#2: I don't know what belt life is suppose to be but to give you some perspective. I have 1300 miles on mine and very few of those is easy miles. Lot's of towing, plowing, mudding and hauling a$$ on heavy 27" big lug tires.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have 212 hrs. on my ATV and when I plow with it I use low gear. This is my third year to use this plow. I want to do the right thing to fix this limp mode problem. I talked to a guy at Dynatek. He told me that I needed the Dynatek DFS10-1 for my 650 v-twin. Is this still the best fix for this problem in your opinion. Thank you for your help. By the way I did thank my service guy for not selling me a new belt when I didn't need one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
FirecatV2
When the belt light comes on and it is blinking and the ATV only runs about 10 miles an hour. When this happens is that a sure sign the limp mode switch inside belt case has been tripped. Does this mean something is wrong with the belt or it may need to be shimmed. The Dynatek CDI box that I want to get for mine, won't help this problem, right or wrong. I bought my cat new in 2004 and in 2014 was my first limp mode problem and again this March. Both times the belt light blinks and runs maybe 10 or so miles an hour and this is the only times the belt light has ever come on. I have 212 hours on my ATV. I hope I'm not being a pain. I want to do the right thing. That is why I came here to get help! I ordered a limp mode reset plug and yes I did thank my service guy for being so honest and not selling be a belt I didn't need. That is rare and almost a thing of the past! Thank you

·
Super Moderator
4,547 Posts
So your in limp mode. That is either the belt has trip the switch in the clutch case or this RF issue. I would reset with the plug and see if it happens right away. I would assume if it trips the switch i.e. limp mode right away then it is your belt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
FirecatV2

MY ATV has went in limp mode twice and both times it will only run about 10 miles hour and misses. My question is when this happens, is this the only time the switch gets tripped and goes in limp mode and cuts out and only runs about 10 miles an hour, or will something else other than the belt make it act the same way. I s the belt the only thing that can trip the switch inside the belt case. I have 212 hours on my 650. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
32 Posts
Found answer to one of my quetions

So your in limp mode. That is either the belt has trip the switch in the clutch case or this RF issue. I would reset with the plug and see if it happens right away. I would assume if it trips the switch i.e. limp mode right away then it is your belt.
I ordered a reset plug for my 650 and it came in today. I read how to do it and tried it. It took it out of limp mode and it seemed to run ok. The problem now is the belt light stays on, if this is a problem. Need your input. At least I found out that the switch inside the belt case, does not have to be tripped to run 10 mile an hour and be in limp mode! The RF-filter that I was talking about is to splice into the two wires on the limp mode switch, something to do with voltage spikes that can cause it to be tripped into limp mode. This is what I read on this Forum. The part number is #0430-044A but I can't find it at any of the parts stores, it is not listed. Maybe I need to call them. Some things aren't listed. Thanks Guys

·
Super Moderator
4,547 Posts
You have exceeded my knowledge on the belt light issue. I can't explain why you went into limp mode or why the belt light stays on. I dunno

I would unplug the CDI or the battery and see if that resets the computer.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts