Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 09 thundercat runnin 27 inch outlaws and i wanna lift it but ive heard too many bad things about lifting arctic cats, that true? also i dont know if i would get the highlifter lift or this new flex lift ive heard about.

·
Administrator
40,645 Posts
Flex lift and its not new. More than 2" you'll need axles. What bad things have you "heard"?

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Stay 2" and down and you won't have any issues.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
You'll be fine with a 2" Flex Bracket on your TCat, toss a set of upper front a-arm bushings w/ caster mod "SteerLites" and you'll be golden.
X2, oh yeah!

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
hate when people say oh lift a cat and its bad.....lift any atv is going to increase breaking chances...its that simple

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
hate when people say oh lift a cat and its bad.....lift any atv is going to increase breaking chances...its that simple
This I agree with fully. Even a 2 inch lift is going to be somewhat less strong then no lift but not by very much. That is the physics of a rotating CV axle joint at an angle. It doesn't matter what brand of ATV that CV axle is on either. all brands that have CV jointed axles suffer equally.

If you want maximum axle or CV strength squat them down so the axle is laying flat or horizontal to the ground. There is a difference probably not enough to notice or even determine that there is a difference since people break stock lifted axles about as often as 2 inch lifted axles. Personally I wouldn't hesitate lifting 2" if the additional 2" rise of the center of gravity wasn't an issue in the type of riding I do. Lower CG is better when it comes to tip angle.

A 4 inch lift is not going to be just twice as bad as a 2" either, It's much worse than twice as bad. it may be 10 times worse?? It increases on a logarithmic scale.

Another thing to consider most of the newer cats have the ride in suspension and rated at 11" ground clearance on stock 25" tires while the older Pre ride-in suspension was listed at 12" of ground clearance. My 06 650H1 sits an inch taller than the 08 Tcat does. The difference if the Tcat has the ride in shocks. Lift a ride in suspension model 2" and you're only raising to 13" of total clearance raise the non ride-in model 2" and you you have a total raise to 14 inches. So on the ride in models if you put a 2" lift on it is still going to be 1" lower then a 2" lift on a non-ride in model.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
I wouldn't lift it. I got 28" tires on mine and it sets up high enough. But its all in where you ride I guess. I do 80% trail riding and a ton of steep climbs so lifting would be a bad thing for me. I still look at the 2" lifts though haha. Who knows.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I lifted mine after I installed 27" XTR tires because they would scrub huge when coming down from wheelies, I just couldn't have that!!!! :)
Lol, maybe I'm in the same boat now after installing 29.5 Termies. I guess I'll find out once it gets dry enough out to find some traction again! ;)

·
Administrator
40,645 Posts
I lifted mine after I installed 27" XTR tires because they would scrub huge when coming down from wheelies, I just couldn't have that!!!! :)
Lol, maybe I'm in the same boat now after installing 29.5 Termies. I guess I'll find out once it gets dry enough out to find some traction again! ;)
Where did they scrub? What setting were your shocks on?

·
Registered
435 Posts
+1 on the rubbing with 27" Jimmy? Im not calling you a lair by no means. I hate when something happens when I am riding and someone tells me that's imposable. Im just saying I have 28" ITP Mega Mayhem's and I have no rub at all and I put my suspension on the lowest setting.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Front springs cranked tight and tires rubbed everytime bike came down from wheelie. Normal driving I had no scrub at all. It was just wheelies and I like wheelies!! :). Lol

·
Administrator
40,645 Posts
But where did they hit when you came down?

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Inside of the fender.

·
Administrator
40,645 Posts
Lol I know that but where ?

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Lol I know that but where ?
:)
At the very top of the tire when suspension was compressed the most. Nothing else is even close to touching.
I don't believe my springs to be soft because there is little to no give when I step on my foot board(either side) and my shocks aren't dead because I just had the springs off them to clean the adjuster cams.
:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.