1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the following from AC

<span style="font-family:Trebuchet MS">December 21, 2006

Dear Arctic Cat Snowmobile Owner,

This letter is being sent to you related to aftermarket performance products designed to for enhancing performance of your Arctic Cat snowmobile. Arctic Cat does support several performance companies for racing and high performance customer based needs and desires. Most of these products when installed on a production engine will increase the horsepower and change many performance characteristics of the production package. Many of these performance products may also change the fuel requirements of the engine which are needed to maintain the reliability designed at the factory.

It is important when using aftermarket performance parts to make sure that you are installing all of the changes recommended by your performance company that are required when increasing horsepower. This will minimize the chance of premature engine failure. Also, it is important to note that any change of production components not provided directly by Arctic Cat will immediately void warranty.

Have many miles of pleasure on your new snowmobile and thank you for choosing Arctic Cat.

Sincerely,

Product Support Department</span>

I have a new F8 and I assume that this is to cover their A** in regards to Y-pipes.

I bet all new F owners have these in their mail box soon....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Received the same letter yesterday. It seems as if they will not cover warranty if you put any mods on you're sled (last sentence of letter). I agree, A. C. covering their rear.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X7JAY7X @ Dec 27 2006, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Got mine yesterday as well. This is my first new sled, do they usually send these out?[/b]
This is my 10th AC sled and this is the first time I have ever received a letter like this.

I am sure all of the post about sleds blowing up has had something to do with it.

We are in the Internet age and bad news travels much faster today.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I don't understand the big surprise? Adding any types of mods that increase the power that much to the engine should not be covered under their warranty. Just because the physical size of the mods isn't that big and they are relatively easy to install, you still are increasing HP by a pretty big margin. If an aftermarket company(insert your favorite here) built a pipe that made an extra 15 HP, and sleds start burning pistons, would Cat cover that? The answer is, and you know it, no! This is no different. I'm still not totally convinced the mods are causing all the problems, but they certainly aren't helping. I knew from the start that I would be adding a Boondocker box to my sled if the Y pipe and air inlet was going to be modified. If it proved later that I didn't need one, that's ok because I knew I would need one anyway for racing or other mods I was going to try. It seems like the tone of the responses on here and HCS is that people are upset that Cat won't cover any problems with mods, and that has always been the case. They are going to cover your stock sled, that hasn't changed. Until they pinpoint the problem that is causing the failures, I don't see anything wrong in what they are saying. I surely wouldn't expect them to cover my ported cylinders. :lol:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree with Looney 100%. I have had many new cats and have never recieved a letter like they are sending out this year, but it is no surprise with the way some people have been acting online. Everyone should relize that as soon as you do anything as far as mods to your sled your warranty is gone, has always been that way. Once in a while you get a great dealer that will slide things through but as far as the manufacturers go you void the warranty as soons as you make any engine mods.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
I'm with you guys (Looney & mbick) ... I can't understand why people are so ignorant (sorry for the harsh words, but it's true) and think Cat should cover their sled if they mod it. Some of the worst responses I've seen are on HCS where people are actually getting pissed because they have to run premium fuel!!! Helloooooo ... McFly .... DUH!!! If you didn't know you'd need to run premium fuel when adding HP, then maybe you shouldn't be doing any mods to your sled. As an added bonus, you'd then have no gripes with Cat if your sled actually did have problems!

Cat isn't "covering their butts" on this. This is probably the single largest year for add-ons due to the amount of power left on the table with the new F's. And every Joe Blow out there who's never turned a wrench is paying a couple hundred bucks for some nice gains & expecting problems to be covered under warranty. That ain't the way the game is played .... never has been, never will be. If you're concerned, run it stock for a few hundred miles, and THEN try your y-pipes and whatever else you've got. If it's going to burn down, it appears it's going to burn down stock due to cooling ... not mods.

I could go on and on, but I don't want to write a book.

Bottom line is, Cat is sending out the letter to people (especially those who have never modded a sled before) to set them straight!

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
I wonder if those who haven't even gotten their spring order sleds yet got this letter....hehehehe. If they haven't even gotten their sled yet and they get this letter I bet it will really torque their nuts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
:stop_nono: Anyone that has harsh words for cat about their sleds going bang and not getting them warrantied after the use of aftermarket parts should open there owners manuel. Turn the cover and on the back of it before the manual pages even start it says the following will VOID Arctic Cat's Warranty! #11- Use of parts not sold or approved by Arctic Cat.
As for some of the over heating issue's I have been hearing about that are do to poor bleeding of the coolant system, I think Cat has a responsibility to get the word out via letter or email. I don't think its fair for us to have to figure these things out by reading about others misfortune. Pray for Snow!!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
No kidding – maybe Cat should've sent out letters in regards to potential COOLING SYSTEM problems instead of the one they did. But then again, EVERYONE take note on what it says on page 20 of the 2007 Arctic Cat SnowmobileOperator's Manual:

CAUTION
-------------
After operation the snowmobile for the initial 5-10 minutes, stop the engine, allow the engine to cool down, and check the cooland level. Add coolant as necessary.
------------

Maybe, just MAYBE, if everyone read (and heeded) the entire manual... and/or if every dealer made a point of mentioning this rather important coolant check with every new sled sale... and/or if Cat put a large attention flyer or sticker of some sorts on their new sleds... maybe, just MAYBE, many or most or perhaps even ALL of these coolant "issues" could've been caught and taken care of before they caused undue headaches, pain, and suffering for Cat and some their loyal customers. – Roy

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (looneytune @ Dec 27 2006, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't understand the big surprise? Adding any types of mods that increase the power that much to the engine should not be covered under their warranty. Just because the physical size of the mods isn't that big and they are relatively easy to install, you still are increasing HP by a pretty big margin. If an aftermarket company(insert your favorite here) built a pipe that made an extra 15 HP, and sleds start burning pistons, would Cat cover that? The answer is, and you know it, no! This is no different. I'm still not totally convinced the mods are causing all the problems, but they certainly aren't helping. I knew from the start that I would be adding a Boondocker box to my sled if the Y pipe and air inlet was going to be modified. If it proved later that I didn't need one, that's ok because I knew I would need one anyway for racing or other mods I was going to try. It seems like the tone of the responses on here and HCS is that people are upset that Cat won't cover any problems with mods, and that has always been the case. They are going to cover your stock sled, that hasn't changed. Until they pinpoint the problem that is causing the failures, I don't see anything wrong in what they are saying. I surely wouldn't expect them to cover my ported cylinders. :lol:[/b]
I agree 100%. I have never seen AC go to this extreme to enforce what should be common knowledge.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Anyone who thinks any manifacture should warrenty aftermarket performance parts that they do not design, manifacture or test is a sofa king wee-todd-did it is not funny....
my2cents

·
Registered
568 Posts
If anyone bothers to read their owners manuals Cat has stated this since the 70's. ANY modifications not from Arctic Cat will void the warranty PERIOD....

Even clutch kits are not covered. If your clutch has problems and it has a aftermarket kit........NO WARRANTY!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LabonteF8 @ Dec 27 2006, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm with you guys (Looney & mbick) ... I can't understand why people are so ignorant (sorry for the harsh words, but it's true) and think Cat should cover their sled if they mod it. Some of the worst responses I've seen are on HCS where people are actually getting pissed because they have to run premium fuel!!! Helloooooo ... McFly .... DUH!!! If you didn't know you'd need to run premium fuel when adding HP, then maybe you shouldn't be doing any mods to your sled. As an added bonus, you'd then have no gripes with Cat if your sled actually did have problems!

Cat isn't "covering their butts" on this. This is probably the single largest year for add-ons due to the amount of power left on the table with the new F's. And every Joe Blow out there who's never turned a wrench is paying a couple hundred bucks for some nice gains & expecting problems to be covered under warranty. That ain't the way the game is played .... never has been, never will be. If you're concerned, run it stock for a few hundred miles, and THEN try your y-pipes and whatever else you've got. If it's going to burn down, it appears it's going to burn down stock due to cooling ... not mods.

Bottom line is, Cat is sending out the letter to people (especially those who have never modded a sled before) to set them straight![/b]

Great points guys!

Glad to see some people with common sense!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I can't believe anyone would even have a gripe on this. Use a hint of common sense please. NO ONE will warranty anything that has been modified, I don't care if it's a snowmobile or a plastic spoon. The manufacturer can't controll what some bonehead does to their product. The best you can hope for is that maybe they will still validate a warranty on something deemed to be unrelated to the mod.

It must hurt to be that dumb!

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (looneytune @ Dec 27 2006, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't understand the big surprise? Adding any types of mods that increase the power that much to the engine should not be covered under their warranty.

If an aftermarket company(insert your favorite here) built a pipe that made an extra 15 HP, and sleds start burning pistons, would Cat cover that? The answer is, and you know it, no!

It seems like the tone of the responses on here and HCS is that people are upset that Cat won't cover any problems with mods, and that has always been the case.[/b]
what surprise?? it all comes down to this >> too stupid to read owners manual= too stupid to own a sled IMO (alcohol obstructed attitudes do not help either)

:thumbsup:

especially over there, at least here, (MOST) people tend to listen and accept what advice they're given (great post looney :thumbsup:)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mbickf7 @ Dec 27 2006, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
it is no surprise with the way some people have been acting online. Everyone should relize that as soon as you do anything as far as mods to your sled your warranty is gone, has always been that way.

Once in a while you get a great dealer that will slide things through but as far as the manufacturers go you void the warranty as soons as you make any engine mods.[/b]
absolutely, and should stay that way for all eternity

and when that dealer gets ''sniffed out'' by someone notifying the factory,, THEY PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!!! (literally)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LabonteF8 @ Dec 27 2006, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I can't understand why people are so IGNORANT(sorry for the harsh words, but it's true) and think Cat should cover their sled if they mod it.

Some of the worst responses I've seen are on HCS where people are actually getting pissed because they have to run premium fuel!!! Helloooooo,, If you didn't know you'd need to run premium fuel when adding HP, then maybe you shouldn't be doing any mods to your sled.

Cat isn't "covering their butts" on this. This is probably the single largest year for add-ons due to the amount of power left on the table with the new F's. AND EVERY JOE BLOW OUT THERE WHO'S NEVER TURNED A WRENCH IS PAYING A COUPLE HUNDRED BUCKS & EXPECTING PROBLEMS TO BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.
That ain't the way the game is played .... never has been, never will be.

If you're concerned, run it stock for a few hundred miles, and THEN try your y-pipes and whatever else you've got. If it's going to burn down, it appears it's going to burn down stock due to cooling ... not mods.

Bottom line is, Cat is sending out the letter to people (especially those who have never modded a sled before) to set them straight![/b]
you just said it,, sorry for the ones that know already, to somehow be ''lumped into'' this for being cat owners

close enough to my first reply up top :thumbsup:

mikeyslap

:( same here

really think it'll work?? I dunno

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jetwrench @ Dec 27 2006, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Anyone that has harsh words for cat about their sleds going bang and not getting them warrantied after the use of aftermarket parts should open there owners manuel. Turn the cover and on the back of it before the manual pages even start it says the following will VOID Arctic Cat's Warranty! #11- Use of parts not sold or approved by Arctic Cat.

As for some of the over heating issue's I have been hearing about that are do to poor bleeding of the coolant system, I think Cat has a responsibility to get the word out via letter or email.[/b]
took the words right outta my post here! slaphappy

actually, it's the DEALERS RESPONSIBILITY to make sure it's correctly bled UPON DELIVERY,, same as with any mfr

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Dec 27 2006, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No kidding – maybe Cat should've sent out letters in regards to potential COOLING SYSTEM problems instead of the one they did.

But then again, EVERYONE take note on what it says on page 20 of the 2007 Arctic Cat SnowmobileOperator's Manual:

CAUTION
-------------
After operation the snowmobile for the initial 5-10 minutes, stop the engine, allow the engine to cool down, and check the cooland level. Add coolant as necessary.
------------

Maybe, just MAYBE, if everyone read (and heeded) the entire manual... and/or if every dealer made a point of mentioning this rather important coolant check with every new sled sale... and/or if Cat put a large attention flyer or sticker of some sorts on their new sleds... maybe, just MAYBE, many or most or perhaps even ALL of these coolant "issues" could've been caught and taken care of before they caused undue headaches, pain, and suffering for Cat and some their loyal customers. – Roy[/b]
BOTH, DEALERS AND OWNERS should have, don't lay it all on cats shoulders, their dealer network is just as responsible as cat themselves

MAYBE,, and thats a BIG MAYBE,, again the dealers have to WAKE UP and pull their own weight for this to work

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mainecat @ Dec 28 2006, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If anyone bothers to read their owners manuals Cat has stated this since the 70's. ANY modifications not from Arctic Cat will void the warranty PERIOD....

Even clutch kits are not covered. If your clutch has problems and it has a aftermarket kit........NO WARRANTY!!![/b]
:thumbsup: (MC, you know this is an extremely hard thing to convince them to do), after all, sledders of 5 yrs or less are ''masters'' of knowledge on everything, right?
(at least that's the attitude seen on ''other sites'', not here though)

correct

Disclaimer: sorry if i've offended anyone with this post

·
Registered
425 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scrat600 @ Dec 29 2006, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I can't believe anyone would even have a gripe on this. Use a hint of common sense please. NO ONE will warranty anything that has been modified, I don't care if it's a snowmobile or a plastic spoon. The manufacturer can't controll what some bonehead does to their product. The best you can hope for is that maybe they will still validate a warranty on something deemed to be unrelated to the mod.

It must hurt to be that dumb![/b]

uhh what kinda warranty does a plastic spoon have nowadays? Really though why would you blow up your new sled and bring it back modified and ask for it to be fixed for free? I think I would have ordered some new bolts and put the stock y pipe back on. That may be a little dishonest but probably the only way to get it covered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think AC is trying to intimidate you here. See below:

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©)

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...” (15 U.S.C. 2302©).

2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 © (3) (B))

The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. Theproduction warrantyrequires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. Theperformance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.

Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.

Basically it boils down to this: "The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought."

Food for thought...

Aaron

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aaron Eh @ Dec 30 2006, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think AC is trying to intimidate you here.

Basically it boils down to this: "The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought."[/b]
not really,,

exactly,,, cat just didn't list it this way,,, in the letter or their owners manual,,, maybe they should have,, then people may have better understood this whole issue I dunno

1 - 20 of 24 Posts