Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when pulling out the sleds to clean/run them, I found this spring in my trailer. Looks like an older AC exhaust spring.

I checked out my sled (2020 Riot) and my GFs 2020 MXZ. I couldn't find any missing or similar springs.

Any ideas?
20200525_131113.jpg
20200525_131107.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
First time I took my skid plate off my T660 I found a spring with none missing on machine. Installers on production line probably dropped it and it’s quicker to grab another.

Reactions: Trp97

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
I'd agree with the exhaust spring assessment. I lose quite a few on the Y pipe. I check those springs every day. I have to admit that I've never found one on the floor yet. They are usually in the belly pan. They certainly are never that clean. 😋 I'm a little surprised they haven't bounced into anything major. I would expect them to get into the clutches or throttle assembly linkage.
BTW, I've also tried the RTV trick. Some just keep breaking. It seems like each sled has their own spring quirks on the Y pipe. Last few 800 motors kept breaking the top right spring. Some of my older machines broke on the left side.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess I'm just worried because It's a new trailer and only these 2 sleds have ever been in it. Would love to know how the hell it ended up in there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd agree with the exhaust spring assessment. I lose quite a few on the Y pipe. I check those springs every day. I have to admit that I've never found one on the floor yet. They are usually in the belly pan. They certainly are never that clean. 😋 I'm a little surprised they haven't bounced into anything major. I would expect them to get into the clutches or throttle assembly linkage.
BTW, I've also tried the RTV trick. Some just keep breaking. It seems like each sled has their own spring quirks on the Y pipe. Last few 800 motors kept breaking the top right spring. Some of my older machines broke on the left side.
RTV trick?

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
RTV trick?
High temp RTV applied to the spring. Just run a single bead along one side. It appears help reduce some of the spring vibration. Some of those longer springs get quite the wobble. Watch your rope handle and ski tips vibrate at idle. The springs are subjected to the same vibration with a little less movement. They also get a lot of strain when the motor moves under high torque.
I have also tried safety wire through the springs along with the RTV. It is a little tricky with the wire. You have to leave enough slack to allow spring movement. I've still had springs break at the ends of the coils. It also adds another step when you pull springs,(cutting the wire).
I'm not sure if all the work is worth the hassle. I probably replace 4-5 springs each season. They are easy to replace and I use a magnet to fish out the broken parts from under the motor.

Reactions: Tacanmech
1 - 9 of 9 Posts