Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at the cat shop when i seen the machanic put 2 cups lemmon juice & water in the a pot boil it and put the nastyest carbs in with green gunk white old powder , after boiling them for 1/2 hour they came out like brand new and usable,
that got me thinking how that would work on a clutch to clean them,
has anybody tryied cleaning with lemmon juice

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Sounds yummy!I will have to put in for the oven then I would bake some cookies too!!

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
I heard the dishwasher works wonders but have to say I would hesitate on eating anything out of it again. LOL

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It's the citric acid in the lemon juice that does it. It's mild enough that it doesn't harm the aluminum but dissolves the junk. I've heard of guys restoring tractor parts this way, you can buy 50 gallon drums of citric acid powder as a food grade additive. Just what I have heard, I'm sure it would work on a clutch too.

·
Registered
320 Posts
for a couple bucks more, you can always buy a can of brake cleaner...i can get at least 3 rounds of cleaning with one can; so thats roughly $1.60 per shot....whats lemon juice worth these days? lol jk

·
Team ArcticChat
6,971 Posts
for a couple bucks more, you can always buy a can of brake cleaner...i can get at least 3 rounds of cleaning with one can; so thats roughly $1.60 per shot....whats lemon juice worth these days? lol jk
Lemon juice is "all natural" and a "green" choice. Lol!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Lemon juice is "all natural" and a "green" choice. Lol!!!
mikeyslap oh yeah....the enviroment....i forgot about that. I take back what i said about brake cleaner:huh:

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Not too uncommon in recent years with EPA restrictions on chemical use and disposal. Lemon juice doesn't have those kind of restrictions. I have used vinegar with and without heating with good success. Might try the lemon juice since the smell of vinegar, well ... stinks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
arent you worried about rust forming around rollers and shart from the acid? Thats like using salt water to wash your truck....no?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
arent you worried about rust forming around rollers and shart from the acid? Thats like using salt water to wash your truck....no?
I should have mentioned that I used the vinegar for carb cleaning, not clutches. When I have done carbs I always rinse with clean water and blow dry with compressed air. I would think that a clutch would be fine if you did this.

·
Registered
320 Posts
yeah i guess so...

BAHAHAHAHA i just realized that i wrote "SHART" instead of SHAFT...LOL hopefully the acid will not cause you to SHART in your pants also....LMAO

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
This discussion has gone a completely different direction than it was headed before I left for work this morning, geesh!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
even less freindly and more effective is Paslode nail gun cleaner one spray and the clutch is new again. i havent seen any spray carb cleaner work as good as this product. contractors might find this useful info as surley there is a can on the shelf. but yes I'm sure Masanagil is equally as effective and Green?? wha

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Lemon juice and water only did a good job on your carbs because you boiled them. lemon and water alone is mabye a good drink at dinner but not a carb cleaner the heat and the acidty melted that sludge off. you would likley need to Pull your clucth off and boil it in a uge pot of that mix to see results. now your buttons/slides platsic bungs what ever there called escapes me right now might not enjoy the scalding bath and distort on you.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have a 800 01 clutch that gets stuck closed once in a while so i thought if i boil the soup mixture lemmon juice & water to see if it cleans it out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts