Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used '04 650. we took it through the trails this last weekend and I discovered the shafts in the rear shocks and one of the front had oil on them...on the rear, you can see the oily film running down the sides of the shocks.. Has anyone else noticed this type of wear?...does this mean they are "shot"?...The spring rates seem to be set half way on all 4 corners.The machine rides great, but I do not want to hurt the drivetrain by not replacing the shocks, if I need to.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
i have heard of the shocks seeping due to temp changes, is it colder than normal in your area? if you notice a puddle in the garage i would be concerned but i would just wipe off and give it a few rides and check again. any pitting on the chrome part of the shock might not help things also.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...and yeah, I live in East Texas..it was 70 here last friday and 35 where we ride on Sat....weather temps dramatically change from one week to the next around here. We just bought this quad last friday. I have not found any leaks anywhere, except for the shocks, after 35 miles of trail riding.I spoke with my dealer awhile ago..He agreed to let me have a set of new factory shocks for $27 ea...I am going to jump on it....thanks, kev

Attachments

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
keep the old ones if your dealer will let you, for that price i would get them and hold on to them for a while for sure. i am currently looking at works shocks for my machine and for 4 of them i am looking at close to 1000, stockers without springs are around 54 dollars each msrp so that is a steal of a deal. just the shocks right, not the springs i wouldn't think.

right in your owners manual (underneith seat) i believe it says that the shocks will seap a bit also.

remember on the v2's low range is key and a tight belt, great machines aren't they! i doubt i will ever go back to a single cylinder again if possible.

·
Registered
782 Posts
hey quack were are yall riding that does not look like East texas well possibly Barnwell Mnt.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The price was for the shocks absorbers only..I think I will buy them and set my spring rate up a few notches and watch the old ones
for a ride or two.Thanks again...and yes, I love this machine..its like a freaking tank, considering I just stepped off a Honda 400 EX.(and just recouped from a broke leg..*LOL*)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bluechev4x4 @ Feb 13 2007, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
hey quack were are yall riding that does not look like East texas well possibly Barnwell Mnt.[/b]

I take my wife and kids to McCurtain county in SE Oklahoma. I live in Marshall and it is only a 2 1/2 hr drive to Broken Bow and about 300,000 acres of public land in the Ouachita Mountains..it is great for the kids cuz Mena has some pretty technical trails. If ya want to ride sometime, let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
i had the same trobble on my 1998 500 and it would ride hard and not have a soft ride to it so i went and got new shocks and the dealer said th shocks are pass waer out so i junck them and then put the new ones and now it sittin at the same high as my 2007 arctic cat 500 i don't think there is a way to fix them unless you look for uesd on ebay or somewhere well any ways i hope that help

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
^^^I know I am a little diffrent, but I have always liked the utilitarian looks of the old Cats...

(sorry for the off-topic comment)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts