Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 ZL 500.
The water pump was leaking antifreeze, so I put all new seals in, put it back together, put antifreeze in, and it started leaking (dripping) immediately.
I pinpointed the leak to a hole in the block under the water pump, I belive called the "weep hole" (I got that from another post)
What is the purpose of the weep hole?
With all new seals, is there any reason it would have been leaking?
Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
it does a few things it lets you know the pump seals are bad and needs to be replace and it keeps pressure from forcing coolant in bad place like the crankcase

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
May have to open it up again and see if the seals are in correctly. It shouldn't leak after a rebuild.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have coolant going into that "bad place" now. Smoked white, for about a block, and then back to normal on my last couple rides last spring/winter. Planning on doing seals next week. Did you change both seals? Any pointers? And its not impossible to get a bad seal right off the shelf.

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaveHus @ Nov 27 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Does anyone know anthing about the weep hole?
Thanks![/b]
The weep hole is to let air in to keep the moisture out and to keep the water pump shaft from rusting.

As the engine gets hot and cold it makes condensation , the weep hole allows it to "air out"

I have rebuilt at least a 100 water pumps on Arctic Cat engines, If it is started leaking right away, it wasn't done correctly.

Was the shaft pitted?? Some times the bushing that is pressed into the crankcase needs to be replaced, that means pulling the bottom half of the crankcase off

It is a must to change everything!!!!. If you don't, it will leak again and again.

This is what you need to replace, here is all the parts needed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...s=tab%3DSelling

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
It would be a good idea at this time

You just need to go to a Cat dealer and order the parts below

3005-188 SEAL,CRANKSHAFT-RH,M30

3003-759 SEAL,CRANKSHAFT-LH,M40

These seals are for the ZL 500 we are talking about

1 - 8 of 8 Posts