Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the Koso dual EGT display, welded the bungs to the Y pipe and had it ceramic coated, after it is all installed and fired up only get the display to flash blue and red, no temp numbers. Do the probes need to ground? Could the ceramic coating interfere with probes ability to ground? Put a test light on 12v and touched probe housing and it lit so I assumed ground is good. Any suggestions? Please help I'm running out of ideas. TKNCHRG

·
Registered
106 Posts
Had the same problem with mine. You are only getting AC power to the unit. You need 12v DC. If you are running an efi, tap into the power to the fuel pump. If non efi, you need a voltage rectifier. Have your dealer contact Koso North America and they will send him one for free!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Right on, hope you got it up and running. I see now you're running an efi, so installation should be a snap. Where did you mount your probes? I put mine 1.5 inches out from the y pipe base. It's just over 3.5 inches from the piston skirts. I'm running pretty lean in the 6000 range, but a lot lower in the top end. Top and 5000 rpm range right around 1000F. 6000 rpm running around 1250F. Time to start tuning with the boondocker. This little Koso gauge is just what I needed, works well. Holds max temps and flashes for overtemps! Should get this slied dialed right in soon and be rockin'!!!! Just behind the Po 800's and Doo 800's with stingers now, on a steep climb in semi powder. 2 inch crusty on top, but diggin through about 2 feet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shelfrost, thanks again. New question for you what temps do you like to see at idle? Also what at speed? I plan on setting it rich then lean down from there. First time with EFI so I'm stumbling a little bit.
TKNCHRG

·
Registered
106 Posts
Too many variables to tell. Depends on where you located the probes, fuel, elevation, etc.. You need to start with the top end. Run hard and fast for quite a few pulls and then do a plug chop. Kill your engine while holding the throttle wide open. Pull your plugs and see how they look. Observe your temps while running. If you have a fuel controller you can start reducing fuel until the electrode starts to develop a white ring around it. This is as lean as you want to go. When you see the white ring, determine what your egt temp is and do not go over that. Then start reducing fuel throughout the map, ensuring you don't reach that max temp. Keep your 6000-7000 range close to this temp so you will have a hot pipe and lots of throttle response when you need to pin it wide open. Just be careful in that range if you ever need to tow somone. Set your warning on the gauge somewhat below your max temps and it will flash just like when you first hooked it up!!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
KOSO is now sending the rectifiers with all of there gauges we were told starting a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it is working, wired it into fuel pump. Not sure if I like that though, do not like pulling
voltage from fuel pumps in anything. It is an 04 F6 EFI and seems to like -14 at idle
(3000 LO @ -14) to be crisp, does this seem OK? This puts temps at around 400' plugs
look good but not much operating time, that comes next Thur. YeeHa!
TKNCHRG

Another thing with idle set @ -14 idle raises to 2400 rpm. I know TPS will change
but is it OK to readjust throttle stop to drop idle back down?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like a lot off the bottom, but could be right. I just took 1 off the bottom before I had my egt and now reads around 500F at an idle. To bring up the temps in the low end, you probably would need to reduce a lot of fuel. These M's are pretty rich on the bottom end.
Pulling power from the fuel pump doesn't seem to be a problem. These gauges can't pull more than half an amp. It is better than using the servo motor power, because these are very voltage dependant.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Because it burrbles at idle, when I take off it takes about 50` to run clean. When I took this much fuel out it runs much crisper. It seems like alot to me also thats why I posted this question. Was wondering if others found the same or if I should be looking for something else.
TKNCHRG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts