Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well fri i got my tires back and today i put them on but before i did i just gave the rearend a look over and found out that both upper shock plates are half broke off and that the springs are shaffing on the strut

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Your Cat is only a year old with just over 300 miles on it. What did you do? Drive it off of a cliff? Also, it seems you have replaced the rear tires. Were the old ones worn or did you replace them just because you wanted new rubber on the back? Are the shock mounts breaking or are the welds letting go? I have an '06 500 and just went and checked the mounts and welds. They look fine to me. If the welds and mounts are not defective, it would take a lot of force to make them fail. In order for that kind of force to be exerted on the mount, shocks would have to be bottoming out and we all know what it takes to bottom out the shocks. Either way, you'd better get it to a shop to re-weld and re-enforce the mounts. Have you ever thought that maybe you have the wrong machine for the type of riding you do?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
i will be a bit easier than the previous member, remember stuff breaks, peroid! could be bad welding from factory, miss alignment, ect. but i am sure catman you probably have a idea what to do to get that fixed, as for the spring rubbing on the shock i also have that problem on the fronts on my v2. was brought up in a prevous post a while back, double check that the spring is centered on the top. mine is i just think when fully compressed (and no not from jumping, more like rockcrawling with the springs set soft) the spring gives side to side as well as up and down. haven't though up a fix for that but i am in the market for new shocks anyways soon.

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here is a couple pics

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Borat @ Jan 28 2007, 01:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Your Cat is only a year old with just over 300 miles on it. What did you do? Drive it off of a cliff? Also, it seems you have replaced the rear tires. Were the old ones worn or did you replace them just because you wanted new rubber on the back? Are the shock mounts breaking or are the welds letting go? I have an '06 500 and just went and checked the mounts and welds. They look fine to me. If the welds and mounts are not defective, it would take a lot of force to make them fail. In order for that kind of force to be exerted on the mount, shocks would have to be bottoming out and we all know what it takes to bottom out the shocks. Either way, you'd better get it to a shop to re-weld and re-enforce the mounts. Have you ever thought that maybe you have the wrong machine for the type of riding you do?[/b]

my miles are not always up to date lol
i hade i had saved my tires from my old machine so i pput them on the rear of my machine and had tubes put in them cause the one popped off the bead three times in two months
im not the gentliest on a machine just check out some of my pics

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not sure if it's your kitty that has the problem, you want to jump something like that buy a sport quad.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
It looks like there is a part missing(keeper) that holds your spring under the eyebolt .They must have broke or jumped out from impropper install. Those are a pain to get right, becareful, you could mash a few fingers or worse???????
Kenny

·
Registered
5,284 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
both of them are are still there its just that both of them are half broke off

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
fuzzy, i am not one to tell people to change their ways. if you want to ride the way you ride then you go right on ahead and fly that cat. but my opinion of the pictures above is that those shocks can't handle the impact that they are given. you might want to look into upgrading your shocks. after upgrading jump it higher and have more fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts