Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My Name is Michael and I'm a little new to the snowmobile community. I was recently gifted with a 98 ZR 500 and there are a few things that could use some work. #1 - there is a rattling noise coming from the clutch area, very very faint when idling but as the throttle is pushed it gets louder till about 6000 rpm and stops. #2 - Blue smoke from the exhaust about 60% of the time when riding. #3 - Speedometer doesn't work. #4 - Sometimes it has a slight lag from 5000 rpm till a little over 6000 rpm. It doesn't do it all the time though. #5 - Is it normal for the rpms to get between 4000-4500 before the clutch engages or could that be related to the previously mentioned clutch problem? Thank you for any and all help!

·
Administrator
37,494 Posts
I will move this to the ZR forum for you.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hello. My Name is Michael and I'm a little new to the snowmobile community. I was recently gifted with a 98 ZR 500 and there are a few things that could use some work. #1 - there is a rattling noise coming from the clutch area, very very faint when idling but as the throttle is pushed it gets louder till about 6000 rpm and stops. #2 - Blue smoke from the exhaust about 60% of the time when riding. #3 - Speedometer doesn't work. #4 - Sometimes it has a slight lag from 5000 rpm till a little over 6000 rpm. It doesn't do it all the time though. #5 - Is it normal for the rpms to get between 4000-4500 before the clutch engages or could that be related to the previously mentioned clutch problem? Thank you for any and all help!
1. You'll want to pull the clutches and go thru them completely and clean and inspect them for damage and wear, that's when you will see if anything needs replacing.
2. Blue smoke is normal, it's a 2 stroke engine and these aren't very efficient.
3. If Speedo doesn't work that is a tell tale sign the driveshaft bearing if destroying itself. But previous owner could've unhooked it or so.ething else is broke.
4 slight lag is more than likely clutch and it probably is begging to be cleaned and checked over.
5 pretty normal engagement range.

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
You'll need a special clutch puller to remove the drive clutch on motor. Secondary clutch is easily removed with the bolt in center. Once you get it going and ride it, you need to figure out your oil consumption. Under the secondary clutch you'll see where the speedo cable goes. Three bolts hold that adapter on. Remove adapter and there's a 3" cable that slides into driveshaft that snaps if the bearing fails or adapter seizes up. Attached is a parts lookup that can be helpful.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Welcome! That's a great gift.

As said, go through the clutches, not a bad idea to go through the carbs either. The more familiar you are with the sled the easier it will be work on in the future. There are adjustments on the oil pump, but before adjusting it fill the gas tank and oil. Ride it. Refill with gas to same spot and then figure out how much oil it used. See if it matches the correct ratio. If it's using too much then adjust. But in general, 2 strokes do smoke, especially when taking off that first time.

As far as engagement, sounds like it's clutching has been changed. Cleaning the clutches could change things though. But lots of people mess with the clutching, so I'd bet it was changed.

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
As far as engagement, sounds like it's clutching has been changed. Cleaning the clutches could change things though. But lots of people mess with the clutching, so I'd bet it was changed.
Engagement is correct as those 500’s need the higher rpms otherwise they are dogs off the line.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I would highly recommend searching the site to find a post for downloading a service manual for your sled. If you are going to do the work yourself you'll save tons of headaches if you have that.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You can find free downloads on these forums and it be on your phone or computer for whenever you need it. Buying a hard copy service manual is generally about $80.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Michael out of all that you have said here with your new sled I would hope that you would check the bearings in your front drive sprocket asap!!! You say the speedo don't work and that's usaly a dead give away of a bad bearing!! And with the other things you are saying you may have more damage than that!!!! Do not ride it till you check it out!! Good Luck!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts