Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sleeved both of my cylinders and am in the process of installing them on the sled. I honed them both to within .0029-.0032" of clearance. They are slide through without the rings, but once I put the rings on the pistons, they are pretty tight. I just found my manual, and it says .0037-.0059". Do I need to hone the cylinders some more or am I safe where I am at?

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I'm with Ron. Check ring end gap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am just within tolerance for the end gap. The manual says .008" - .033", I am at .009"-.010". I want a tight engine, but not one that cold seizes. Do you guys think I need to open it up with the hone a little bit?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Argh, that's what i thought. I believe my hone is a 280 hone, how long is it gonna take to take another .002" off of it?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Shouldnt take long, but check often. If you have the manual, it says how to check. Hone with oil as well, not dry, and wash well when done

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woolf @ Dec 19 2009, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am just within tolerance for the end gap. The manual says .008" - .033", I am at .009"-.010". I want a tight engine, but not one that cold seizes. Do you guys think I need to open it up with the hone a little bit?[/b]
If it were mine i'd get a few more thousands for clearance. If it ever gets hot (lack of snow maybe hard pack conditions), you'll want the clearance so the rings don't bind and catch the port. Know what I mean?? I don't know what the piston clearance should be but I'd file the rings for more clearance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts