Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Ive read in several posts that the Kawi Tranny in the 650 V2 is different. Im curious if someone can tell me what's so different about it? It'd belt driven, operates as a CVT should, and from what I know (which isnt much about this) it's just like a sled tranny. If anyone could help me understand what makes this tranny different from othe Cat ATV automatics it'd be very appreciated. Thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I dont know what the difference is between H1 and V2. But the 06 V2 has a different gear ratio than the 04 and 05, which elliminated the problems

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eliminated what problems?..... badcomputer

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
The Kawasaki system uses a clutch much like that of snow machines. When engine rpms build, the drive clutch sheaves will suddenly close in on the belt to initiate drive. The AC/Suzuki system uses a constantly engaged belt and an internal, one way, centrifugal clutch that initiates drive. The advantage of the AC system is that with the belt permanently engaged, you will have the benefit of engine braking from the effect of the constantly engaged belt trying to work against the one way centrifugal clutch which is feeding force back to the engine. This in turn uses the compression resistance in the engine to provide "engine braking". Because the Kawasaki belt is free (loose) when not under load, you will not have the same engine braking effect as provided by the AC system. It's a lot simpler than it sounds. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. So that must be why it uses a "seperate" system for engine braking. I appreciate the info / help :thumbsup:

·
Registered
741 Posts
the V2 clutch is the same as in the KAWI.. the H1 and others are as explained by Borat....

as for the elimate the problems with the gear ratio, it was probably for those that didn't shim their belts properly with the 04 and 05's.. the gearing in the 06 was much better on the belt with the 4.0 gears.

I called DALTON if I could use my clutch kit in my kawi and they said, the clutches for V2's are same as all kawi's, except maybe the 750 brute which has a different setup (I think).

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Just to clraify, the new gearing didn't "fix" anything persay. It helped, but it's the same exact transmission (as Monster stated), so if there were a "problem" with the tranny, it would still be present. Monster nailed it when he eluded to the fact that those with tranny issues 99% of the time had them due to improper clutching (improperly shimmed, wrong spring combo for their tires, etc...).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts