Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine whom I've known for over 20 years fell on some financial hard times. To raise much needed cash, he decided to try and sell his quad to a local motorcycle shop who specializes in used units. These guys offered him $1100.00 for his '02 Prairie 650 w/1140 miles in very good condition. Feeling insulted, he mentioned it and I bought it. I know zero about Kawasaki other than the occasional ride on this unit over the years. Are there any major maintenance issues a Kawasaki green horn would need to know about this ride? Any information and/or opinions are much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
My stepfather owns a 02 Kawi 650 with over 7000km's on it. So far he hasn't had any issues with it other then regular maintence, adjusting the clucth, new belt this summer, shift linkage adjustments and thats been about it, nothing major or out of the ordinary. He has had 27" bearclaws on it since new, other then that all stock and he uses it for regular trail riding and hunting. About the biggest thing to look for is the belt delection, same setup as the cat V-twins.
There was recently a recall on the kawi's, I cant remember the specifics but I believe it was ball-joint related.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
One other thing that might help is to learn the reset precedure for the the limp-mode & 100hr belt check feature.

Basically, when the limp mode is triggered it will stutter the spark and not allow the ATV to go faster than about 12mph.

Resetting it is easy... Does it tell you how in the manual?

Resetting is a slightly different procedure for belt failure triggered limp mode or 100hr belt check limp mode.

It's something you need to know just in case... Even if it never happens.

If you don't know, we can tell you all about it here.

:chug:

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Jan 11 2007, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
One other thing that might help is to learn the reset precedure for the the limp-mode & 100hr belt check feature.

Basically, when the limp mode is triggered it will stutter the spark and not allow the ATV to go faster than about 12mph.

Resetting it is easy... Does it tell you how in the manual?

Resetting is a slightly different procedure for belt failure triggered limp mode or 100hr belt check limp mode.

It's something you need to know just in case... Even if it never happens.

If you don't know, we can tell you all about it here.

:chug:[/b]

A G, it would be most helpful if you can post how to reset limp mode. The manual was lost long ago and while one is available for purchase (and has been ordered) on the Kawi website, no other info is there. A 12mph speed limit while several miles from home would sure make wish I'd rode my Cat. Thanks for the help!! :D

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GoFastCat @ Jan 11 2007, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My stepfather owns a 02 Kawi 650 with over 7000km's on it. So far he hasn't had any issues with it other then regular maintence, adjusting the clucth, new belt this summer, shift linkage adjustments and thats been about it, nothing major or out of the ordinary. He has had 27" bearclaws on it since new, other then that all stock and he uses it for regular trail riding and hunting. About the biggest thing to look for is the belt delection, same setup as the cat V-twins.
There was recently a recall on the kawi's, I cant remember the specifics but I believe it was ball-joint related.[/b]
Thanks for the info. A VIN check on the Kawi site does confirm there was a recall and that the recall work was completed. Oh yea, I forgot that the Cat V-twin uses the same motor. I will scan the site for V-twin information. It seems to be a decent quad but, I sure like myCat 700's ride and handling better. No way I'd trade my kitty for the kawi.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (acquad700 @ Jan 11 2007, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
it would be most helpful if you can post how to reset limp mode. The manual was lost long ago and while one is available for purchase (and has been ordered) on the Kawi website, no other info is there. A 12mph speed limit while several miles from home would sure make wish I'd rode my Cat. Thanks for the help!! :D[/b]
Yeah, 12mph on the flats means not enough rpm to make it up the hills to get out of the woods... That will only kill a belt anyway. So I don't know what the Kawi engineers were smoking when they designed that.

Do you have a reset key?

If not, you can use a paperclip or wire... On Houleigan's first ride out with me he had a false limp mode event, I just used the tips of needlenose pliers to jump the connector.

OK, here it is:

Reset false event Limp Mode:

With the key off, find the 4 wire electrical connector near the KEBC actuator (engine braking motor). Unplug it. On the harness side, you will find an orange wire with green stripe, and a gray wire with green stripe. Connect them together with anything... The reset key, paper clip, or wire, etc. Turn on the iginition key. The belt light will flash rapidly for about 7-10 seconds, then it will flash slowly. When it flashes slowly, turn the key off, re-connect 4 conductor connector... It's done.

If you have a real Limp Mode event due to a worn or failing belt, you'll have to remove the belt cover and put the toggle switch inside the belt cover to the ON position. Of course, if you have a spare belt with you, removing the fried belt and installing the spare is a good idea at this time. Then follow the procedure above with the belt cover re-installed.

Resetting 100 hr belt check Limp Mode:

Same as above, but unplug the two wire connector coming out of the top of the belt cover near the belt cover exhaust vent after you turn the key on. Belt light will flash rapidly, and then slowly. When it's slow, you're done... turn off key and reconect connectors.

Check the Kawi's toolkit for a key that fits into the 4-wire connector to make sure you have one. If not, you can get one from a Cat or Kawi dealer or just be sure to carry a paper clip or wire, or some other means of making the connection.

:chug:

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I'm not sure if the 02 kawi 650's have the limp mode issue as there is no belt light on the first year of the praire's. Maybe there is and it just hasn't became an issue for the ol'man I dunno I did try to find out before posting but couldn't find the info. A good site with plenty of kawi info and tips is NYROC'S, you need to be a member to view the tips and I'm awaiting the verification email to become a member.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GoFastCat @ Jan 11 2007, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm not sure if the 02 kawi 650's have the limp mode issue as there is no belt light on the first year of the praire's. Maybe there is and it just hasn't became an issue for the ol'man I dunno I did try to find out before posting but couldn't find the info. A good site with plenty of kawi info and tips is NYROC'S, you need to be a member to view the tips and I'm awaiting the verification email to become a member.[/b]
Interesting! For some reason I thought all Kawi 650 twins had that feature so I didn't even consider model year differences. Thanks for pointing that out and looking into it! :chug:

If he doesn't have limp mode, well... That's a good thing!

I hated the false limp mode events, which were fixed when Cat issued the RF filter TSB.

But even after I got the RF filter, I still though it was worth getting the aftermarket CopperHead CD to eliminate it completely as well as performance improvements. It doesn't have the limp mode feature at all now, and also does away with having to use the reverse over-ride button.

·
Registered
210 Posts
can i see some pictures of the praire, please
Thanks ;)

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the help and links to more info than this little brain can hold. Not worthy:
This thing sounds reliable enough for a short trip to a buds house up the road, pulling the mower, or for someone riding with me but, that's about it. This limp mode business is about the dumbest engineering marvel I've heard about in a while. To have a worn belt with slop, flip a switch and render the unit, for all intents and purposes, unusable isn't exactly the brightest idea but, the "just because" limp mode is, without a doubt, simply brilliant. Why they couldn't simply have a light and/or message on the display to signal service is required and save the shutdown for more catostrophic issues like high temp or low oil pressure is beyond me. I suppose it's best to mothball this thing for a couple of months and unload it in the spring. Thanks again for the info. It probably saved me either a long walk or waiting for someone to come pick me up and listening to the resulting harasment on the trip home. I'll stick with what I know....here kitty, kitty, kitty. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (acquad700 @ Jan 12 2007, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks to all for the help and links to more info than this little brain can hold. Not worthy:
This thing sounds reliable enough for a short trip to a buds house up the road, pulling the mower, or for someone riding with me but, that's about it. This limp mode business is about the dumbest engineering marvel I've heard about in a while. To have a worn belt with slop, flip a switch and render the unit, for all intents and purposes, unusable isn't exactly the brightest idea but, the "just because" limp mode is, without a doubt, simply brilliant. Why they couldn't simply have a light and/or message on the display to signal service is required and save the shutdown for more catostrophic issues like high temp or low oil pressure is beyond me. I suppose it's best to mothball this thing for a couple of months and unload it in the spring. Thanks again for the info. It probably saved me either a long walk or waiting for someone to come pick me up and listening to the resulting harasment on the trip home. I'll stick with what I know....here kitty, kitty, kitty. :thumbsup:[/b]
I sure wouldn't let the limp mode problem deter you from enjoying the kawi and putting on some serious miles, if you do like it. I did some more checking (in the owners manual) and the 02's do have the "Drive Belt Failure Detection System" and that when the switch in the CVT cover is tripped the multifuction meter (???) and reverse indicator light flash. Also limits the engine to 3,600RPM and 2wd only. Now possibly they dont have the "false limp mode" problems like the first cats did or just my stepfather has been lucky, even my brother and cousin have 04 P700 and haven't ran into any belt problems.
Now dont take me wrong and trying to defend the kawi's here on a cat site but I would just wouldn't want a person to be afraid to drive something thinking it is going to leave them stranded everytime, its not a polaris now :lol: Like I mentioned in my first post it was about 6500 miles when my ol'man needed to replace his belt, after having no more adjustment (shims) left and this is him riding in high range 90% of the time too.
I wish they still made the praires now as I do really like them for my riding style, good of power and tourque, straight rear axle, low COG, not extremly heavy either. If it was a perfect world I would have one along side of my DVX to use most of the normal trail riding I do. Especially the LE team green ones :drool:

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GoFastCat @ Jan 13 2007, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I sure wouldn't let the limp mode problem deter you from enjoying the kawi and putting on some serious miles, if you do like it. I did some more checking (in the owners manual) and the 02's do have the "Drive Belt Failure Detection System" and that when the switch in the CVT cover is tripped the multifuction meter (???) and reverse indicator light flash. Also limits the engine to 3,600RPM and 2wd only. Now possibly they dont have the "false limp mode" problems like the first cats did or just my stepfather has been lucky, even my brother and cousin have 04 P700 and haven't ran into any belt problems.
Now dont take me wrong and trying to defend the kawi's here on a cat site but I would just wouldn't want a person to be afraid to drive something thinking it is going to leave them stranded everytime, its not a polaris now :lol: Like I mentioned in my first post it was about 6500 miles when my ol'man needed to replace his belt, after having no more adjustment (shims) left and this is him riding in high range 90% of the time too.
I wish they still made the praires now as I do really like them for my riding style, good of power and tourque, straight rear axle, low COG, not extremly heavy either. If it was a perfect world I would have one along side of my DVX to use most of the normal trail riding I do. Especially the LE team green ones :drool:[/b]
I apprciate your taking the time to check on a few things for me. I did check the belt and all looks good, clean and tight. The coolant, oil and plugs looked fine too but, I changed them anyway. No fluid leaks, no visable damage, nothing strange looking, sounding or smelling. The recall that wooza1 mentioned was taken care of back in October. The quad starts easy, runs smooth (both before and after maintenance) and has NO problem hitting 60mph and QUICK. I don't know if it would out run my Cat but, it would be close. The only thing I like better about the kawi than the Cat is the fact that the gear selector is on the right side. It never made sense to me why Cat put the brake lever and shifter are on the same side. They must have a reason since my 400 4x4 was set up the same way. Do the Cat 650 V2's make the same high pitched whine at speeds >25mph? I will take your advice and spend some time and see what she'll do before I make a decision. My neighbor wants it bad if I decide to unload it. He's forgotten more about bikes then I'll ever know so, it must be a decent bike if he wants it. :D

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (acquad700 @ Jan 12 2007, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This thing sounds reliable enough for a short trip to a buds house up the road, pulling the mower, or for someone riding with me but, that's about it. This limp mode business is about the dumbest engineering marvel I've heard about in a while. To have a worn belt with slop, flip a switch and render the unit, for all intents and purposes, unusable isn't exactly the brightest idea but, the "just because" limp mode is, without a doubt, simply brilliant. Why they couldn't simply have a light and/or message on the display to signal service is required and save the shutdown for more catostrophic issues like high temp or low oil pressure is beyond me. I suppose it's best to mothball this thing for a couple of months and unload it in the spring. Thanks again for the info. It probably saved me either a long walk or waiting for someone to come pick me up and listening to the resulting harasment on the trip home. I'll stick with what I know....here kitty, kitty, kitty. :thumbsup:[/b]

I agree... You're right on... No truly important safeguards that has a chance to help save a motor... The engine can overheat to the point it welds itself into an aluminum paperweight or explode. The motor is allowed to continue running if the oiling system fails or runs out of oil.

At least you would think temp/oil pressure/tach should be standard by now on every recreational vehicle. Nope, they're still making idiot lights that inform you after the fact. No gauges = no chance of seeing a problem in advance. No sensors to trigger shut down programs built in to the CD iginition either. Technology exists, but it's not showing up on our beloved toys.

Yet Kawi decided it's critical to preserve a junk belt even if it means causing the ATV & operator to end up stranded. It's ludicrous! bang your head

It's almost impossible to make it up some of the hills in limp mode. If the belt explodes while trying to get home, it exploldes... Big deal, it's toast anyway right? At least without limp mode a half fried belt will give you a better chance at getting home.

First limp mode event for me... I couldn't believe it! I thought "What the hell did I just buy?"

Motor parts must be much more profitable than belt sales.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Jan 13 2007, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I agree... You're right on... No truly important safeguards that has a chance to help save a motor... The engine can overheat to the point it welds itself into an aluminum paperweight or explode. The motor is allowed to continue running if the oiling system fails or runs out of oil.

At least you would think temp/oil pressure/tach should be standard by now on every recreational vehicle. Nope, they're still making idiot lights that inform you after the fact. No gauges = no chance of seeing a problem in advance. No sensors to trigger shut down programs built in to the CD iginition either. Technology exists, but it's not showing up on our beloved toys.

Yet Kawi decided it's critical to preserve a junk belt even if it means causing the ATV & operator to end up stranded. It's ludicrous! bang your head

It's almost impossible to make it up some of the hills in limp mode. If the belt explodes while trying to get home, it exploldes... Big deal, it's toast anyway right? At least without limp mode a half fried belt will give you a better chance at getting home.

First limp mode event for me... I couldn't believe it! I thought "What the hell did I just buy?"

Motor parts must be much more profitable than belt sales.[/b]
I supose it all comes down to the old cost vs. return. I see the way these wheelers come in at the shop were my Cat is serviced and it just kills me. These people wouldn't take remedial action even if their quad gave them the warning. They simply don't give a :turd: ! In defense of kawi and Cat, in the case of the 650 V2, they did TRY to give a warning indicating the belt needs help. It was just a tad bit extreme taking that much action on a wear item while leaving many more critical issues to chance. No amount of on-board computer power will ever replace a reasonably educated rider who knows their equipment and takes action when something just doesn't seem right. If nothing else, this has been something to study up on. Many thanks to those who've provided me with all this study material. :site: It's interesting to see how the kawi compairs to my Cat. It's little things, like a not so nice weld joint in the front rack on the kawi
that didn't even need to be there had a long enough piece of tube been used and bent as one piece that show lack of attentin to detail. I guess it was cheaper to make two pieces and weld them. Between a side by side comparison and reading a thread over on one of the sled boards about AC's history, I'm more proud than ever to own a Cat and be part of the Pride. It's shocking to know just how close we came to AC not even being in existance. If it weren't for many of the empolyees and others close to the company stepping up and living their dreams, AC would have been dead and gone. If that's not Pride, I don't know what is! :bleedgreen :ridepride:

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Yeah, saw my first black Arctic Cat in the late 60's when I was a kid... Got my first brand new shiny black Cat in the fall of '71.

I had to live through those non-Cat years. I think I was in denial the whole time.

This is my first ATV ever. I'm glad it's a Cat! After seeing the other stuff out on the trails, I know I bought the right one.

·
Registered
210 Posts
so if you were selling it how much would the going price be???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts