Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuilt my 2001 ZR 600 EFI top end. Now that everything is back in and running, it is very sluggish. Out of the hole it won't even spin the track on low snow conditions. It also maxes out about 65 mph and 7100 rpms. Anyone have any ideas? Did I screw something up? I did mix in a bit of oil into the gas tank to help lube during break in. Did this screw it up? Help me!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to check, but my gage is screwed up. The little o-ring on the gage is gone so I couldn't get a reading. Either that or I have 0 lbs of compression. I can't imagine that is the case, but maybe it could be. I resleeved the cylinders and honed them to the proper clearance, so I would assume I am in the 130 range.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Do you have any Teflon thread tape handy? I would think you should still get some reading even with it just threaded in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I thought too. It seemed strange that it just went up to about ten and then dropped right off. Now I am gonna have to go grab some tape and the tester. Be back in 30.

Could I have screwed something up with the power valves? How do i know they are working properly?

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Maybe wouldn't hurt to take a look in there and see.

I ended up with some bad/wrong pistons once, and lost compression quickly. If you find yours is low, don't keep running it like I did. I ended up needing cylinders too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out my compression tester is crap. I tried it on a few of my sleds and nothing. I doubt it is compression, it seems that it wants to suck my finger in and blow it out the way it should. I'm really thinking I screwed up the Power Valves somehow. Could be anything though, ARGGG!!! This is supposed to be my reliable sled for a buddy to ride.

·
Registered
955 Posts
its the power valves they open @ that rpm their not opening did you clean them ????????? !!!!! check the servo to see if it cycles when you first start it

·
Registered
955 Posts
hope they were adjusted right and installed right and they didnt hit your pistons one of my sleds was like that when i got it . it still ran pretty good. ied take em out and have a look down the bore

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How fast does it respond to the startup cycle? How much time do I have to check them? I pulled them out for the rebuild, and cleaned them in gas and a wire brush. What could be wrong with them? How can I diagnose problems with them? Anything I can do to check voltage etc with them?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked the clearance to make sure that they would not hit. Hopefully I got them in right. Anyone have a diagram that displays how they go in?

·
Registered
955 Posts
if you start it then tap it get the rpms about 3000 the servo will open then close if not might be a stuck servo motor turn it manually a few times also could be the exhaust sensor

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about the angle? Are they to be facing to the center kind of to make a convex v or to the outsides to make a concave v?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, pretty sure that I put them in wrong. I'll pull them tomorrow and see if I can tell where I screwed up. Are there more than one way to put them in and not contact the piston? Any good way to get them off without having to remove the studs in the cylinder?

Would this create my loss of power on the bottom end as well as the top end?

·
Registered
76 Posts
You said that you put oil in the gas, for break in. That is going to be an issue with the injectors. The AC manual states to only lift the oil pump lever with a wire to get more oil in the cylinders at idle for a duration of time, of which I can not remember. You may want to check the injectors also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ahh! That was another thing I was afraid of. Anyone want to buy a kind of screwed up ZR? How about cheap.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts